** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

gold cup

stk1uk

i,m thinking of having a bet on iris,s gift for the cheltenham gold cup at around 25/1.This horse won the stayers hurdle beating baracouda last year and i was reading that the owner had said that the horse had taken really well to fences is confident regarding its chances. What do you think!

Re: gold cup If it turns out to be the horse's first run over fences, which it looks like now then i'd personally be put off by the price. The owners are either taking a chance or they are exteremly confident. If they were so confident i think the 25's would be too appealing and they'd have a bet meanining the price would drop. The fact the 25's is still available for a horse of such pedigree over hurdles tells its own story i think. Quite fancy kingscliff myself.

Re: gold cup

If it turns out to be the horse's first run over fences' date=' which it looks like now then i'd personally be put off by the price. The owners are either taking a chance or they are exteremly confident. If they were so confident i think the 25's would be too appealing and they'd have a bet meanining the price would drop. The fact the 25's is still available for a horse of such pedigree over hurdles tells its own story i think.[/quote'] I see what you mean but the fact that Iris's Gift is a novice chaser ((just checked and this is correct) should be enough to put you off, whether it is 1/25 or 25/1. I may regret this come March, but a novice chaser will not win the Gold Cup, simply won't happen in a race of this quality.

Re: gold cup i don,t know how you can say a novice chaser can,t win the gold cup.What about last year when strong flow won a novice chase at worcester in may and then beat a decent field of handicppers in the hennessey by fourteen lengths in november wasn,t he a serious gold cup horse last year before his injury.what i am saying is that when iris,s gift has his first run over fences and wins by a large margin and jumps like a stag what price will be.

• 1 month later...

Re: gold cup http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/4284591.stm Former Stayers' Hurdle hero Iris's Gift will not run in this year's Cheltenham Gold Cup, but will instead return to smaller obstacles. The eight-year-old, trained by Jonjo O'Neill, made his debut over fences at Lingfield on Saturday but trailed in last in the Totesport Chase. Owner Bob Lester told the Racing Post newspaper: "We're not going to pursue the Gold Cup as we haven't got time. "We will be back next year, the Gold Cup dream is still alive," he added. "We'll look at Aintree and Punchestown for the same hurdle races that he ran in last year, and then start novice chasing next year," Lester said.