Here Now And Why

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?race_id=537144&r_date=2011-08-22&horse_id=728775#topHorseTabs=horse_race_record&bottomHorseTabs=horse_form Just attempting to understand a few handicap related issues... The RP Spotlight verdict stated that this 4yo was interestingly handicapped, so I took a look back at his record and he was awarded a rating of 88 as a 2yo after competing in a Gp2 & 3. No further wins until today at a rating of 48. He'd been competing in Ireland as a 3yo and had recently came back and competed in a couple of cl6; today was cl5. Does this give us a clue that the gelding has more ability than his handicap mark suggests and will probably go on to notch a few more wins until the handicapper catches up with him? I've probably just answered my own question with this, but wondered what some of the wise heads on here thought?

Re: Here Now And Why I'd say it was tried in those G2 events when unexposed because connections were over-enthusiastic about it. It hasnt done that well in those races in terms of speed but the handicapper has gone 'Grade 2 eh, you'll have a mark of 88 my son". Reality has been the mark was way too high for the poor animal and now its spent its career working it down to a reasonable level bit by bit - happens all the time and ruins horses. The fact is that now its so used to seeing animals run infront of it as its been developing that it now thinks a race is where you play with the other horses. It has no idea about winning anymore and I'd be surprised to see it win unless a significant change is made eg operations, new trainer, visor, companion pony or something. Another factor with this one is the 2/3yo vs 4/5yo syndrome where a horse is harder trained and probably more developed at a young age so it beats its developing youngster rivals. But as its rivals mature our horse does not - he was just a big ox as a 2yo and that isnt enough to win anymore. Avoid like the plague.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.