Flat Racing - Saturday 6th August

Master Of Arts (16/1) - Ascot 12.50 Draw Bias: Difficult to get good draw figures for Ascot since they made alterations to the track but the 8f is run on the round course and inside draws dominate. Pace Bias: Again no accurate figures but should be similar to other courses with a round 8f in that Chasers do best, Closers do badly, and Frontrunners do well. Race Pace: At least 3 that will have a good battle for the lead. Coupled with the fact that 2 of these (Dunn'o & Snow Bay) are drawn widest and it becomes clear that they are going to waste many lengths fighting for the front. With the majority of Closers drawn inside they will find trouble when making their late runs. Enter the Chaser. Master Of Arts is drawn advantageously and is close to the pace. His running style varies but he has won no matter, so very versatile. Went on a 7 race winning streak in 2008. Since then has changed hands a few times and not raced in 544 days: must have been injured. Is having first run for new trainer Mark Johnston whos stable goes well of late. Racing fresh not a worry for this horse having won fresh before. It is stated he enjoys cut in the ground and he will get that with Ascot being good-to-soft. Career record 7/13! With nothing else making any appeal I'll take my chances at the price.

Re: Flat Racing - Saturday 6th August 3.20 Haydock - 1.5pts e/w Jacqueline Quest @ 12/1 (Bet365) This filly comes with risks, but I simply can't have her as a 12/1 shot in this field. Were this a handicap, she's be giving stacks of weight away, and even if she may not be running up to her mark of 111, that's still 12lbs higher than her next highest-rated rival in the contest. This filly was with Sir Henry Cecil, and famously was deprived victory in last year's 1000 Guineas in the steward's room as Special Duty was awarded the race. She was a mammoth price that day having not shown a lot on her 2nd and 3rd starts. She did confirm that her Guineas run was no fluke, however, with a very respectable 3rd in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot on her next start. She was beaten 3 1/2l that day in a highly competitive field. She couldn't justify favouritism at Goodwood next time out when a 2l 5th in a Group 3 but the track may not have been ideal, and the ground was quick - as it was at Ascot. She's a better horse on softer ground, and connections only take their chances today given the recent rain leaving the ground slightly on the soft side of good. Naturally, her return to the track this year was concerning, when she was turned over at Leicester by 1l. However, she did travel well suggesting her quality was still there, and it may just have been a fitness issue that she couldn't quite see it out. It wasn't a great race though and she really ought to have won. The ground was quick again, probably the final straw for connections, with it now highly unlikely she'll run on very fast ground from now on. She was well beaten on her first start of the season before, though, so it's possible she just needs her first run of the season. Her next issue were the starting stalls at Royal Ascot in the Windsor Forest stakes, where she refused to race. Obviously a huge concern, especially as often one refusal can lead to another and so on etc. This was the case with smart filly Memory this season. However, I'm willing to give her another chance, especially because she's had a change of scenery since that run. She's supposedly enjoying life at Ian William's yard now, and is supposedly "a different horse" and seemingly back to her usual self. This obviously is hugely encouraging, and often it is the case that a new environment can get a horse's spark back. If she is anything like back to her best, she'd win this in my opinion, and I'm very happy to take a chance at the odds. She's passed a stalls test since so hopefully she'll get away with the rest of the runners, and can make her class tell, as well as proving any doubters wrong, with conditions to suit.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.