The most "accurate" bookmaker

New soccer season not so far away. So, just out of curiosity I've performed some basic test on how accurate different bookmakers are in their soccer odds for English Premier (2010/11 season, 380 matches). No surprise they are all quite accurate (closing odds on favorite). This is the results (bookmaker/result$/deviation%): VC -20.42 -0.0537 WH -21.50 -0.0566 SJ -22.46 -0.0591 B365 -25.11 -0.0661 LB -26.26 -0.0691 GB -26.68 -0.0702 IW -29.28 -0.0771 BW -32.76 -0.0862 SB -36.49 -0.0960

Re: The most "accurate" bookmaker

Same sample but this is derived from true probabilities: Pinnacle - (opening) 1.54, (closing) 11.52 188bet - 9.15 , 7.88 5dimes - 3.28 , 14.01 380 matches are not representative enough though
Could you please elaborate on this? Not sure what I'm looking at... And yes 380 is not representative.

Re: The most "accurate" bookmaker No, I don't mean that. No one knows true probabilities because they do not exist, so "true" in this context might be the wrong term. Conversion to no vig (true) odds is done just for the sake of accuracy. They are as true as possible from the bookmaker's point of view when it comes to opening, and as true as possible from the public's point of view from then on. Essentially, every line is accurate at every point in time (from opening to closing), just with different variances. Our sole job is to spot those variances.

No, I don't mean that. No one knows true probabilities because they do not exist... Essentially, every line is accurate at every point in time (from opening to closing), just with different variances. Our sole job is to spot those variances.
Good point:ok

Same sample but this is derived from true probabilities: Pinnacle - (opening) 1.54, (closing) 11.52 188bet - 9.15 , 7.88 5dimes - 3.28 , 14.01 380 matches are not representative enough though
So are you saying that the bookies opening lines are closer to the actual results than the closing lines? Is that what the second number being bigger than the first one means?

So are you saying that the bookies opening lines are closer to the actual results than the closing lines? Is that what the second number being bigger than the first one means?
Correct but as I said 380 is not enough. I believe closing line is more accurate in the long run. It's just speculation though as historical opening lines (in suitable format) are impossible to find on the net, at least from my experience.