Flat Racing 19th July

7.00 Southwell Most of these come into this with very little if any recent form all except AmTired who showed plenty of promise in last 2 runs all over this CD each time slowly away making up a lot of late ground and only failed by a neck last time out behind the useful fibresand performer Positivity and if repeating that has to go very close off same mark and even better drawn today if getting out on terms. Clearly handles this surface and yard remain in good heart. The saver bet is George Thisby who is 1 from 1 on the fibresand admitly over 6f, potential excuses for poor runs so far this season, last time out was over a trip to far and first run of season was on fast ground which has never suited before. Millman yard doing well recently and if memory serves me right (Racingpost site down so cant get stats) they have a very good record at this track. Its also worth noting its there only runner tomorrow and is a long drive from Devon so clearly not just going for the day out and if first time blinkers have a positive effect he is well handicapped 5lb below last winning mark and is wel drawn in stall 4. 3pt win Amtired 1pt win George Thisby

Re: Flat Racing 19th July 3.45 Yarmouth - 1pt e/w Memphis Man @ 8/1 (VC) - BOG Often around this time of year, it's difficult to assess soft ground races, but Memphis Man is well proven on this kind of surface, and remains well handicapped to strike. A winner off a mark of 75 in the past, David Evans' 8-year-old runs off 59 today with Richard Evans taking off a further 3lbs. With 8 runners lining up as things stand, he looks a very solid e/w bet to me at around the 8/1 mark, given his generally consistent nature. He always tends to be staying on, but has found it a little bit tougher in quicker conditions the last couple of races - even if he did win on good to firm at Salisbury in May. He's essentially 4lbs higher including the respective claims today for that 2l victory, so I'm not concerned about his handicap mark. He didn't get going the pace required on his most recent 6f starts, and his latest run can be well and truly ignored over a mile having come wide at Chester in a Lady Amateur Riders race. All 12 of his career wins have come over sprinting trips. 5 of his wins have come when the ground has been softer than good, and does have a course and distance success to his name. Conditions look suitable today. Despite David Evans' horses not firing on all cylinders recently, you can't say he's bang out of form, so it isn't too much of a concern for me. It's not a strong race, which gives me hope that Memphis Man will be quick enough to pick them up in the closing stages of the race.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.