Small Pocket Pairs in later stages of a tournament?

Spooner

Few questions regarding the above question, I've had some success but trying to improve my game by talking about the game. I understand early on were looking to hit our set with a value call in position preferably but how do we play these later on, 55/66 etc, obviously were looking at more coin flips at this stage I'll just make up a scenario and hopefully get some answers, 5000 players, 250 left, 9 player table, 10 min blinds Blinds $1,700/$3,400, Ante:400 Late Middle position guy $216,000 Spooner (Button) $111,000 Small Blind $194,000 Big Blind $186,000 I'm on the button with 55, I've got around average stack, folded round to middle position and raise comes in for $14,000, I haven't had much for a while and haven't been able to take advantage of position of late, so what do I do? There's $22,700 in the pot and two left to act behind me, am I correct to get my chips in here or is this to aggressive? Can I afford to limp call with my chipstack, and if I do that, do I encourage the SB and BB to then isolate and use their position if they've got a average hand therefore not even allowing me to see a flop? I mean they don't even have to have it, any raise and its hard for me to call their bet, middle position could be stealing with a halfish hand, and my 'call' looks like a small pair, so its not a bad spot to isolate. I mean with a small pocket pair I could easily be dominated so I cannot call their raise. Or do I just get our the way here and wait for a better situation, maybe when I can be first to raise and then c-bet the flop, do I have the stack to pull that off? Any advice on how to play this, maybe there is a simple play for this but confuses me for the reasons above!

Re: Small Pocket Pairs in later stages of a tournament? If it was me... I would flat call here, firstly because I would have position and "I haven't had much for a while" so try to use my table image. Any re-raise from the blinds and I am folding. Now if any of the blinds call, then I would be play it very carefully from then on whatever cards are on the table, even if its a set (unless you hit quads:rollin). If the blinds fold and its just the two of you at the flop, he is first to act and if he puts a sizeable bet in, I am folding unless I hit my set. If however it is a scary looking flop and its checked to me, I would fire a large bet ($28,500 or so). Now if he check raises me, I am folding. If he folds, I am happy with the pot. If he flat calls me, I am thinking he either has me crushed or he is drawing. Then I try to get a showdown for as cheap as possible which means if he then checks the turn, I would check behind him - hoping to hit my set. If however I hit my set on the flop or at any other stage, then I am sure you would know what to do then!:cow

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.