want some input from stats-minded punters

We want to start a (free) statistics service to help stats-minded punter out with their betting and would like to know what kind of features people are interested in. I hope this is okay to post here, since I think our site would be super helpful to a lot of the poster on here. What would the perfect football statistics site look like? What features would you want to see on it? * Ability to sort for home/away/total * Ability to include or exclude certain leagues and seasons from the output? For example, would you be interested in sorting for Chelseas stats from the EPL seasons 07-11, but EXCLUDE champions league games? Something like a checkbox system for which leagues to include * Ability to choose from displaying "average", "total" aswell as "median" results - is this of interest or would it be overkill? * Head to Head stats for different teams? * Streak stats, such as "longest run without a draw" or similar? * Odds stats, such as "average home odds", "average O/U2.5 odds" * System stats? Such as "how much profit would you have made if you had bet this team every game" and stuff like that? * Some kind of ELO-like mathematical rating for all teams? As I know there's a lot of smart individuals here, I'm very grateful for your thoughts. If possible, try to rate how useful you think these different features would be.

Re: want some input from stats-minded punters Sounds like a great site you are planning to build here. Personally I like the things mentioned above, but would also like to have stats on free kicks pr. game and offsides as well if that's a possibility?

Re: want some input from stats-minded punters Hello, Luegofuego, :welcome to forum! I believe your post is OK, as your intention sounds great, and another stats site that listened to punters before going live may be some kind of refreshment! However, once you finish your site, please pay some attention how will you post it here - if you just bump the link, it may be considered spam; so I'd reccommend reading forum rules, and if your site is going to be non-commercial, and you put somewhere on your site link back to Punters Lounge, which are reasonable requirements, I think you'll be fine. Now, I consider myself stats-minded, and statistics plays the most important role in my choice of picks; so, I'll try to comment these features you described. * Ability to sort for home/away/total - this is a must, of course; however, I don't understand what do you mean "to sort" - I think better idea is not to sort them, but to have displayed all three tables next to each other (or below each other, nevermind), so to be easily viewable. If you can see only one table at a a time, and need additional click to switch between those three tables, I usually give up; not because of the efforts for clicking, but because I want to see comparison of team's position in all three tables. * Ability to include or exclude certain leagues and seasons from the output? - Would be nice; however, it doesn't necessarilly need to be "include / exclude" by mouse click - a clear and strong designation of different competitions may be enough. * Ability to choose from displaying "average", "total" aswell as "median" results - is this of interest or would it be overkill? - In my opinion, it's not overkill, but very nice picture. * Head to Head stats for different teams? - A must. * Streak stats - Would be nice. * Odds stats - Would be nice. * System stats - Well, that's feature not many free sites can be proud of, so you definitely should go for it! * Some kind of ELO-like mathematical rating for all teams? - Would be nice. Especially if visitor can create his custom ratings; let's say, I choose two teams, or entire league, and then calculate rating applying different weighting (points) to home/draw/away/scored/conceded/etc. in different periods (let's say, for each criteria, double points in last 5 matches, etc.). There is additional couple of features that come to my mind: * Last x matches, which is also a must for stats site; you know, when I said that all three total/home/away tables should be next to each other, I had in my mind picture from BetExplorer: for each match, you have four tables, visible at the same time: total, last 10 matches, home and away, with two teams clearly labelled within the table; as for display, it's ideal, I don't think there is more user-friendly display than that; but what I'm missing there, is some ability to customize it: to choose number of last matches other than 10, and also to choose desired number of last matches in home/away table; so, drop-down menu at the top of tables to choose "last x matches", "last y home matches" and "last z away matches" would bring not only display but also content to ideal! * Ability to return in any given match in the past, and to see how tables, streaks, ratings, etc., looked in that moment; i.e., to preserve the same display of page before and after particular match, not to update it after match. I suppose this is difficult, as you normally update results in one place, and that impacts all occurences of those teams in the database? * Ability to choose stats against teams in the certain table position; i.e, show matches / stats only against top 5 teams, or bottom 5, or teams that have up to 5 points more and less, or against best / worst 5 home / away teams, etc. * Ability to create account at site, in order to have personalized profile and save some of the above mentioned preferences if they are different than default ones, not to change them each visit. I hope it wasn't too much requests! ;) Good luck with your project! :ok

Re: want some input from stats-minded punters I am a total stats junkie, sad I know!!! I am also working on some systems that one the whole are profitable but could do with the stats you are talking about and maybe some others too? What about HT stats i.e. shots on target, shots off target, possession. Also goal times during the game? Deffo downloadable on excel.

Re: want some input from stats-minded punters I think the 'usual' stats like goals, goal distribution, streaks, head 2 heads etc. are easily available in an endless number of presentations on a great number of existing sites already, but of course it would be nice to have everything in one place. I'd like more info about the matches itself - shots on/off target, penalties given (and the result of them, including who took them), goalscorers, corner stats, offsides, possession (in 1st half, 2nd half, when leading, when trailing, when drawing), free kicks, cards given, referee stats etc. etc... the more the better.

Re: want some input from stats-minded punters Yeah, I think there are enough stats sites out there for the popular leagues, so in that respect it's a very narrow market. I have a few that give me what I need, as listed in this thread. If you could get stats together for the less well known leagues, then you'd be on to a winner.

Re: want some input from stats-minded punters

Stats are important when taking a bet' date=' but it shouldn't be the main reason when taking that bet. The true value of a bet resides in the difference between the given odds and the real odds.[/quote'] Thank you thats really illuminating. But I wonder how you are suppose to find "real odds" without stats?