Jump racing - 3rd May

Just the one bet for me tomorrow, in the big handicap at Punchestown!

Punchestown 16.55 - Gimli's Rock - 2pts e/w @ 14/1 (Paddy Power)
Some may think it's a bit ridiculous to try and solve a 21 runner handicap hurdle, but I like to accept such a challenge! 2 lightly raced sorts,
Wee Giant
and
Nearest The Pin
are currently joint market leaders at 4/1, but I fancy Jessie Harrington's
Gimli's Rock
to run a big race and the 14/1 on offer is a very nice price. Gimli's Rock has won over this course and distance before, one of only 3 horses in the field to have done so. The ground conditions won't be a problem either so
overall, conditions are perfect. He's got decent form in the book, having won a Grade 2 hurdle at Down Royal last November, which shows how much class he has. He was in flying form in 2010, recording 4 victories over jumps and one on the flat. I'm expecting more improvement to come this season as well. He ran behind Voler La Vadette just 8 days ago, and never really landed a blow. I'm expecting him to have come on from that race and he should be in tip top condition to run a big race tomorrow. It's my only bet of the day and I'm having a relatively big e/w punt, in the expectation of a big run.

Re: Jump racing - 3rd May 4.55 Punchestown Benash 1pt e/w 16/1 Paddy Power A very competitive race to get involved in but I like this horse at the price. This horse has done nothing but improve this year since falling on his return to action in November. Rated just 117 on his return, he hacked up in a race off 122 beating Garde Champetre over this trip at Naas in January. He than ran well enough in a very tough 3m race at Punchestown finishing 7th before falling when still in contention at Fairyhouse over 2 months ago. A return to 2 mile should be no problem and he comes here fresher than most. The big "if" is this much quicker ground. He has yet to race on ground quicker than soft. His half brother however was a decent horse on a sound surface so there is a chance that he will go on it. This will be the same problem for many of the horses in the field however. There are 21 runners in the field so there are obviously plenty of dangers. Nearest the Pin and the 2 Willie Mullins horses look to have solid claims. Nearest the Pin won easily on his handicap debut but has gone up 12lbs for that win and this is a much tougher race so he could struggle. It looks a pretty tough ask as well for both the Rebecca Curtis horses and I can't seem them getting involved at the business end. Benash could very much still be on the improve and there is a good chance he will run well on the quicker ground.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.