Flat Racing Saturday 16th

3.45 Newbury NIGHT LILY 2pts e/w 18/1 Bet 365 I like the look of NIGHT LILY here running off a lower turf mark compared to her all weather mark. She ran extremely well last time out only just failing to get up and win a listed race at Kempton. The horse has kept on improving this year and only just failed LTO off a mark of 89, beating plenty of higher rated animals. She comes into this race off 82 with the jockey taking off another 5lb. If able to transfer her all weather form this would put her in with a shout. We have already seen plenty of all weather form holding up when transferred to the turf. NIGHT LILY is already a winner on turf and has won on the forecast good to firm ground. This will by far be the biggest field she has encountered which I think will suit. She is sometimes slowly away but finishes very well over what is her optimum trip. The race should be run at a good clip which will suit the horse and she is drawn high which is also a positive. Horses over the age of 5 don’t tend to win this race so she fits into that trend as well. NIGHT LILY is in the form of her career and I think there is still some improvement in her to come. As proved by last year, anything can win this race but I would rule out any horses 6+ straight away and anything drawn low. Certain other trends would rule out plenty of other horses. I would rule out GREYFRIARSCHORISTAR as Richard Hills is on board plus the Johnson stable seem to be a bit hit and miss at the moment. BRICK RED is interesting but has yet to prove himself on quick ground so I’ll rule that one out. Think the Cumani stable are out of form at the moment so would rule out SAINT PIERRE. I would also rule out CAPITAL ATTRACTION on its handicap debut as the Cecil runners don’t seem to be running that well at the moment either. The biggest dangers to the selection for me are SUITED AND BOOTED and SIGNOR VERDI. Both horses are 4 year olds and both looks set to improve this year. SUITED AND BOOTED was a multiple winner last year, getting better with each run. SIGNOR VERDI also ran well last year and the soft ground was probably against him in his last start. Hopefully NIGHT LILY can can continue her progression on the turf here in a race which I think will be run to suit on ground which is ideal.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.