Young 'un & Auld 'un

OK Flat turf starts this week post your young horse to follow(2yo,3yo or 4yo) and one of the older brigade that you think will pay its way over the coming season. One of each with reasoning. From listed class right down to the less obvious ones any thing goes. I'll post mine up shortly.

Re: Young 'un & Auld 'un Does Workforce count as old brigade? Looks like Fame and Glory is going to be aimed at the Gold Cup as well by the way Young horses: Alanza Recital Future Genrations Nebula Storm Aside form the main ones like Frankel and Roderic O'Connor etc

Re: Young 'un & Auld 'un ON THE HIGH TOPS (IRE) 3-y-o (25Feb08 b g) Kheleyf (USA) (6.5f) — Diplomats Daughter (Unfuwain (USA) (10.7f)) Trainer Tom Tate Owner The Ivy Syndicate Breeder Mrs Clodagh McStay. This horse likes good firm ground and 5f may prove to be best trip. I like the trainer and i think he could well get a couple of good handicap wins out of the horse this year at decent prices. Was on a mark of 80 last year hopefully will start this season a little lower than that. LIGHT FROM MARS 6-y-o (07May05 gr g) Fantastic Light (USA) (10.6f) — Hylandra (USA) (Bering (10.1f)) Trainer David Nicholls Owner Dr Marwan Koukash Breeder Harts Farm And Stud This horse starts the year with a new trainer and owner. I think this horse is well capable of picking up a few races this year even though it drew a blank last year but hasn't dropped much in weight. i think its a decent animal who may even be capable of picking a listed race up. Has been a bit unlucky at times and probably should have won more than the four races it has but does need things to drop right for it but new trainer can iron out the quirks and get him back in the winners enclosure IMO. Runs at 7f and a mile and i think the latter suits best Starts off in the Lincoln on Sat for the Handicap king.

Re: Young 'un & Auld 'un Working on a "Ten to follow" list at the moment. I've all ten picked (took ages!) but only one write up done. I'll post this one here as she's my main hope for the season. I also have a 4 year old sprinter that'll be worth keeping an eye on in Group races. Will post him up tomorrow evening. I'll pop the rest in my thread. Blessed Biata – The first of my 10 to follow is a William Haggas trained 3 year old filly, who certainly hasn't hit her peak of yet. I had high hopes for her after her debut run over a potentially inadequate trip and I've even higher hopes for her now, especially given her excellent run in an extremely valuable Fillies' race. I actually backed and posted Blessed Biata up that day, at odds of 50/1, which she out-ran and was very unlucky not to finish in one of the four available places, or even win (may have won with a clear run). It was in the Tattersalls Millions 2 year old Fillies' Trophy, with a prize pot of no less than £300,000 and to say she ran with credit would be understating how well she done on only her second career start. She was held-up in rear for the 7 furlong contest and proceeded to run on extremely well in the closing half mile but was denied a clear run 2 furlongs from home and then again was found to be short of room just a furlong for home, before producing an impressive late run under pressure to finish 1.75 lengths behind the winner, Masaya. However, given her late thrust and finishing position, I'm of the opinion that she'd of landed the spoils with a clear run, and won me a lot of cash! It wasn't to be but she showed a good attitude under pressure and the fact that she ran so well on truly soft ground leads me to believe that there's a lot more to come, especially when she'll embark on her 3 year old campaign, likely to be starting in the middle of April. Better ground and a step up in trip should see her show significant improvement and I was really hoping she'd be entered in the 1,000 Guineas but that hasn't happened so far, with connections eying up a charge at either the £150,000 Tattersalls Millions 3 year old Sprint over 6 furlongs or the £300,000 Tattersalls Millions 3 year old Trophy over 1m 2f, if current enteries are anything to go by. I'm not really sure she'll get the latter trip so the Sprint looks like the most likely avenue and she should be a decent price for that contest. Blessed Biata is out of an unraced dam, but she's out of the 1989 1,000 Guineas second, Kerrera, who was also blessed with buckets of speed and was very competitive at Group level over 5 & 6 furlongs, along with posessing the stamina to go a mile. Whether her grand-daughter is anywhere close to that level is yet to be seen but early signs are positive and she should make a cracking 3 year old. I'm not one who knows too much about the effects of breeding and bloodlines but Haggas' filly is closely related (half-sister) to German 2,000 Guineas winners Dupont and Pacino, both of which were untried over sprint trips but proved to be top notch milers on the big day. They were both sired by the high-class miler, Zafonic, who has sired a lot of animals to be impressive 2 year olds (early bloomers). Whilst Blessed Biata is sired by American sprinter Mr Greeley, an improver at 3 (hopefully she follows suit) and sire of 54 Stakes winners, 24 Graded/Group winners and 10 of which were victorious in G1's. She's bred to have plenty of speed but could well have enough stamina for the Guineas, so it's a bit unfortunate that she'll be swerving that, even though connections obviously know a lot more about her than me but I think she could more than hold her own if the ground came up good, seeing as she got home so well over 7 furlongs on soft going. We'll probably never know how that'd pan out but there's many winnable targets for her this year and hopefully she'll have trained on and filled out for her 3 year old campaign, before going on to land some black type. She didn't race until September of last year and had 3 runs in the space of 6 weeks, the last of which was a huge disappointment, so it's more than possible that she'll be a “backable” price first time up. I posted her up that day too, this time at 10/1 in a Listed contest over 7 furlongs at Newbury on soft. I had double my usual maximum each-way bet on her and was extremely keen on her chances, as were connections because she halved in price to go off as the 5/1 second favourite. However, she broke slowly and ran very flat, finishing an eased down 9th in the end, ultimately proving very disappointing and costing me a lot of cash! Blessed Biata didn't seem to get home on the ground this time (stayed on remarkably well on simlar going the time before) and didn't pick up at all, shaping as if she'd need better ground but certainly didn't run close to the level of her previous start. Every cloud has a silver lining and despite running poorly (wasn't given a hard time when beaten), that virtually assures she'll be going off at a nice price next time out and I'll be duly accepting it. We'll more than likely be collecting off her at some stage during the season and I've extremely high hopes for this filly, as do connections based on certain entries last season and this, so hopefully she'll live up to expectation. Good ground over 7f/1m on a flat-ish track should be ideal and early market indications should also be noted. Keep a close eye on this filly, she's going places.

Re: Young 'un & Auld 'un A horse I really liked last year and she won me some cash was Dever Dream. I assume she is still running this year but no entries that i can see? And what about that monster Seta, is she running this season?

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Young 'un & Auld 'un

ON THE HIGH TOPS (IRE) 3-y-o (25Feb08 b g) Kheleyf (USA) (6.5f) — Diplomats Daughter (Unfuwain (USA) (10.7f)) Trainer Tom Tate Owner The Ivy Syndicate Breeder Mrs Clodagh McStay. This horse likes good firm ground and 5f may prove to be best trip. I like the trainer and i think he could well get a couple of good handicap wins out of the horse this year at decent prices. Was on a mark of 80 last year hopefully will start this season a little lower than that. :okWon well on Saturday over 5F at Thirsk @ 18's was first run this season entered up at Haydock on Sat and could well follow up if he turns up. LIGHT FROM MARS 6-y-o (07May05 gr g) Fantastic Light (USA) (10.6f) — Hylandra (USA) (Bering (10.1f)) Trainer David Nicholls Owner Dr Marwan Koukash Breeder Harts Farm And Stud This horse starts the year with a new trainer and owner. I think this horse is well capable of picking up a few races this year even though it drew a blank last year but hasn't dropped much in weight. i think its a decent animal who may even be capable of picking a listed race up. Has been a bit unlucky at times and probably should have won more than the four races it has but does need things to drop right for it but new trainer can iron out the quirks and get him back in the winners enclosure IMO. Runs at 7f and a mile and i think the latter suits best Starts off in the Lincoln on Sat for the Handicap king.
Ran ok in the lincoln to be 8th. Trainers horses didn't really fire that day but getting winners now. Goes to Newbury on Saturday for another big tough handicap.

• 3-y-o (27Mar08 ch f)
  • Hennessy (USA) (7.5f) — Misty Hour (USA) (Miswaki (USA) (8.3f))
  • Trainer A P O'Brien
  • Owner M Tabor, D Smith & Mrs John Magnier
  • Breeder Summer Wind Farm Ive been seriously impressed with this filly this year winning both her starts in very good fashion, the maiden she raced alone and powered clear of her own group on the stands rail, and just the other week she was very impressive again and did not look hard pressed to win a listed event last time. She is entered up in the neil gwyn on wednesday and priced up at fav, hopefully she can take this before moving on to the classics.

• 3-y-o (27Mar08 ch f)
  • Hennessy (USA) (7.5f) — Misty Hour (USA) (Miswaki (USA) (8.3f))
  • Trainer A P O'Brien
  • Owner M Tabor, D Smith & Mrs John Magnier
  • Breeder Summer Wind Farm Ive been seriously impressed with this filly this year winning both her starts in very good fashion, the maiden she raced alone and powered clear of her own group on the stands rail, and just the other week she was very impressive again and did not look hard pressed to win a listed event last time. She is entered up in the neil gwyn on wednesday and priced up at fav, hopefully she can take this before moving on to the classics.

Re: Young 'un & Auld 'un Originally Posted by tedthewolf ON THE HIGH TOPS (IRE) 3-y-o (25Feb08 b g) Kheleyf (USA) (6.5f) — Diplomats Daughter (Unfuwain (USA) (10.7f)) Trainer Tom Tate Owner The Ivy Syndicate Breeder Mrs Clodagh McStay. This horse likes good firm ground and 5f may prove to be best trip. I like the trainer and i think he could well get a couple of good handicap wins out of the horse this year at decent prices. Was on a mark of 80 last year hopefully will start this season a little lower than that. Won well on Saturday over 5F at Thirsk @ 18's was first run this season entered up at Haydock on Sat and could well follow up if he turns up. LIGHT FROM MARS 6-y-o (07May05 gr g) Fantastic Light (USA) (10.6f) — Hylandra (USA) (Bering (10.1f)) Trainer David Nicholls Owner Dr Marwan Koukash Breeder Harts Farm And Stud This horse starts the year with a new trainer and owner. I think this horse is well capable of picking up a few races this year even though it drew a blank last year but hasn't dropped much in weight. i think its a decent animal who may even be capable of picking a listed race up. Has been a bit unlucky at times and probably should have won more than the four races it has but does need things to drop right for it but new trainer can iron out the quirks and get him back in the winners enclosure IMO. Runs at 7f and a mile and i think the latter suits best Starts off in the Lincoln on Sat for the Handicap king. Ran ok in the lincoln to be 8th. Trainers horses didn't really fire that day but getting winners now. Goes to Newbury on Saturday for another big tough handicap. OTHT is non runner tonight. LIGHT FROM MARS just holds on :nana Thats 18/1 winner last week and a 14/1 this week:ok