Courtsiding - wrong or a mug for thinking so?

Zeitgeist

Re: Courtsiding - wrong or a mug for thinking so? nothing wrong with it in the slightest imo. Where do you draw the line? those at the event? for those with tv's? those with radios? those with internet? those who support the players/teams involved? no-one forces punters to bet - you choose to place a bet, there's an element of risk that you will lose. If you are mug punter enough to bet blindly/without enough or the right info/without researching adequately then you dont deserve to win in the long term. if you remove the edges, then you remove the gambling. Put everyone on an equal footing and it all becomes pointless.

Re: Courtsiding - wrong or a mug for thinking so?

nothing wrong with it in the slightest imo. Where do you draw the line? those at the event? for those with tv's? those with radios? those with internet? those who support the players/teams involved? no-one forces punters to bet - you choose to place a bet, there's an element of risk that you will lose. If you are mug punter enough to bet blindly/without enough or the right info/without researching adequately then you dont deserve to win in the long term. if you remove the edges, then you remove the gambling. Put everyone on an equal footing and it all becomes pointless.
I apologize, perhaps I'm not explaining myself very well. My idea of "equal footing" in this case is not that there shouldn't be leaders in the race, of course there is always going to be someone who has an edge over you and someone else who isn't doing so well. What I mean is that, since in principle not everyone could partake in courtsiding, it isn't fair as a means to gaining this edge. Information and research and other tools and methods are all potentially equally accessible to everyone, but courtsiding is not. Imagine that courtsiding became the buzzword amongst newbie punters looking for Easy Street and there was a rush of millions to sporting events all over the world. There would soon be a problem for most of them, and any that remained would be a shrewd few. Even today it's probably a risky venture legally speaking. So my point all along has been that this inequality of opportunity renders courtsiding unfair.

Re: Courtsiding - wrong or a mug for thinking so? Courtsiding stands out from other "unfair" means in an important way as well. If a person enjoys the thrill of the punt and even the sport as well, you'd be hard pressed to judge a punter at the races as an evildoer. But if what you're doing is taking the easy route as a living and making it a habitual money-making scheme, then I wouldn't give that a green light.

What I mean is that' date=' since in principle not everyone could partake in courtsiding, it isn't fair as a means to gaining this edge. Information and research and other tools and methods are all potentially equally accessible to everyone, but courtsiding is not.[/quote'] What's your definition of courtsiding? I think DP said earlier that it's accessible to everyone....which I agree with....anyone can go to a live sporting event ??? :unsure

What's your definition of courtsiding? I think DP said earlier that it's accessible to everyone....which I agree with....anyone can go to a live sporting event ??? :unsure
Anyone can today, yes, because there aren't enough people doing it. But if everyone wanted to do it, most of them wouldn't be able to. If I was a courtsider, I'd instantly have qualms about it because the benefits come not from having a better idea but simply the privilege of being there, which was given to me over every other punter for no good reason whatsoever. Remember, it's a privilege that is available only to a few. I'm struggling to find a real difference between courtsiding and rigging the national lottery so that you end up with the week's winning tickets! What's the difference, apart from the bigger legal punishment?

Zeitgeist...what is your agenda buddy ?? Combining this thread with "The future of Betfair" ...seems to me you are just gathering information and opinions for a Thesis or something !! Do you actually have a bet occasionally ??
:rollin:rollin:rollin Yea I enjoy the questions more than most probably. I've been working on a system for the last few months that looks very promising on paper, just not in a position to spill any beans yet, probably won't be until I've made my millions ;)

:zzzIll look forward to the system buddy, if it ever appears... Btw...hows your thread "What percentage of you are Pro Punters" going...gathering much data ??? :zzz
Thing is, while I've had my head in statistics for a long time, I've never visited any forums on betting before, so I'm keen to gather as much info as possible. I'm new to the practice of actually placing lots of bets for real, knowing the names of staking plans etc. Hence the questions. As for the pro punters thread, had no idea what other punters' takes are on the subject. Dried up soon after we established that it takes time, effort and courage. I was surprised there weren't more pro punters willing to give some insight on "the world's best betting forum" :\

Re: Courtsiding - wrong or a mug for thinking so? After Mister Magoo's post I've now realized that I might have come across as a bit of a wet fish (tosser ;)). I'm not really, honest. In truth I'm not overly riled by courtsiding, the discussion here isn't much more to me than a bit of fun, intended for anyone vaguely interested and wanting a breather from their betting work. I'm sure this site is the world's best betting forum and I've already found it very useful, so thanks to all the contributors. I hope I can be of some use myself in time.

Re: Courtsiding - wrong or a mug for thinking so? You talk about courtsiding being a privilege that not everyone could do. You also compare it to the lottery which I find interesting. I find it interesting because you could apply your theory to the lottery. Would you consider the same argument if someone was able to buy 100,000 tickets each week and another punter is only able to buy 1 a week? In using your argument it would be unfair. Obviously the one punter has an unfair advantage, and you could possibly say it is wrong. You could also argue that it is morally unfair that someone has the financial ability to purchase 100,000 tickets and another person only 1. But in the real world, this is life. Some of us have the ability to purchase 100,000 tickets a week and gain an edge, and some of us have the ability to courtside and gain an edge. I think the fact that there are not to many people doing either shows 2 things. Firstly, the edge cant be to great as, like you have mentioned every punter would be courtside and overrun the place for the fans. And secondly the fact that there are people doing it, and the authorities or general public have not tried stopping it says the overall consensus do not find it legally or morally wrong

Re: Courtsiding - wrong or a mug for thinking so? Does anyone believe/know it to be technically viable to "courtside" a football match? I had always assumed that the enforced time delays for placing in-play bets allowed a long enough window for the market to be suspended following a goal/penalty/sending off. Is this not the case? Also, is it possible to gain enough of an edge courtside trading either side of an event which doesn't trigger market suspension such as a corner or free kick in a promising position?