BBOTD Wednesday 22nd Dec

3.35 Lingfield Fayre Bella ran much better than her placing suggests on her last run at this track. Was travelling strongly before running into trouble and the first three had gone. Excellent young jockey on board for the first time today and hopefully he can keep her out of trouble for a good run. 1 Pt win 8/1 Bet365

Re: BBOTD Wednesday 22nd Dec 12:35 Lingfield I really fancy the chances of Amy Weaver’s Gandalf to go very close in this contest today, at what looks an absolutely massive price. 8yo experienced stayer, who has ran under both codes, and spent a significant amount of his career over in Ireland. He has done well since moving back here, winning and placing on one occasion. He’s come into his own when running over 2 miles on the all-weather, his victory coming over that distance at Kempton, where he was held-up absolutely miles off the pace, and came with a fantastic late-charge to lead close home. That was off today’s mark of 65, and he could well be able to replicate that effort today. Although his efforts at Lingfield haven’t been too great, they’ve usually been off marks a bit higher than he runs off today, and interestingly, all in small-fields. Gandalf needs a decent pace and usually that doesn’t occur in fields with a low amount of runners. When there has been little pace, he’s often had to go make it himself. He did this on his last run over 2 miles at Kempton in early September. It was an admirable effort in a race that wasn’t run to suit at all. Today there are 14 runners, and a few that like to be close to the lead. This should lead to a stronger pace being set, and the race been run more to Gandalf’s liking. The fact he’s drawn quite wide is a slight concern, although hopefully this will be negated by him being held-up. He’s back to his ideal trip of 2 miles, after running over too sharp a trip last time. He’s back to his last winning mark, that of 65, which also makes him of interest. He’s had a break, and although never winning when fresh, he’s usually ran a decent race and gone close, especially on his flat performances after an absence. It shouldn’t be of much hindrance. Trainer reports that he’s going well, and will probably be aimed at the timber in the near future. However, can’t see them using a contest with such an opportunity of victory to basically not try, and with his well-being in little doubt, I’m confident that he can easily outrun his odds. He’s an 7/1 shot in my book, and to me, that’s a conservative price. He could well go off a lot shorter. I’m happy to stake quite heavily on this one, it’s our last bet before Christmas, and I doubt I’ll find a better opportunity in the next few months. Gandalf; EW @ 14/1 Stan James

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.