** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Waste of time?

Shy10ck

I wonder if a 2,8% yield from my system, is just wasting my time? Period 11/9 2010 - 1/11 2010 Starting bank = 2000. Bets made = 158 Bets won = 70 Money out = 13503 Money in = 13885 Profit = 382 Yield = 2,8% Do you think I should continue or is 2,8% yield to small a number to invest time and money in?

Re: Waste of time? You need a much bigger sample size than you currently have before you start drawing any conclusions. Look on the positive side that you are in the plus at the moment. You may end up at 10% after 1000 bets, it is hard to know. In the short term any system will go through ups and downs.

Re: Waste of time? I agree that your sample is to small, but a yield of 2.8% with 79 bets a month could be worth pursuing. If you manage to keep the yield at 2.8% you will earn 2.8 DKK/Euros whatever for every 100 you stake, so if you stake for example 100 dollars on each bet; with 79 bets a month you will make 221 dollars a month. Stake 1000 dollars on each bet and make 2210 dollars a month (with the current yield). Just remember a few things, regardless of yield and bet size: 1) Your sample is small 2) Even a huge sample will not guarantee anything- yield is always a historical number and can only give a prediction for the future, not anyting certain. I would say you have a decent system considering that there are so many bets each year. That means, if you can keep up the yield, you have a decent chance of making the profit worth your time. But if the system requires a lot of work and you are betting for example 10 dollars each bet you are looking at a profit of 22 dollars a month. You'll have to consider if the 'salary' is good enough, and if you can raise your stakes high enough to make it interesting as an investment, considering the huge risks involved.

Re: Waste of time?

I would say you have a decent system considering that there are so many bets each year. That means, if you can keep up the yield, you have a decent chance of making the profit worth your time. But if the system requires a lot of work and you are betting for example 10 dollars each bet you are looking at a profit of 22 dollars a month. You'll have to consider if the 'salary' is good enough, and if you can raise your stakes high enough to make it interesting as an investment, considering the huge risks involved.
What would you say is a realistic yield from a system, over lets say 1000 bets a year? If 2,8% yield is in the low end of the scale, what yield would you say a semiprof/prof punter would accept from there system? My stakes for now, is to low to make any mentional profit. But if my real money attempt proves my theories and backtesting right, then I raise my stakes. Does anyone no a staking plan, that take yield and numbers of bets into consideration?

Re: Waste of time? Hi, I don't really know what yield a professional punter would accept. But it's fairly easy to do the math if you know approximately number of bets each year, stake per bet and yield. Of course you will never know the yield beforehand, so that will be an unknown factor, but it will give you an idea, and based on what you would accept as a 'salary' as a semiprof/prof punter you can figure out what kind of system you need. The math: "number of bets" x "stake" x "yield". For example 1000 bets a year staking 100 euros with a yield of 2% gives a return of 1000x100x0.02 which is 2000 euros. Of course the return could be much higher if you increase the bet size during the year, but that's where my math skills are not enough.

Re: Waste of time? i suggest you continue with your work to see how will you go. It is not bad as long it is positive yield, but you will need more time and more bets to see real results. If it's not taking you too much valuable time and can afford to spend that much time on those picks go ahead and good luck!