Denman -> Scottish Grand National

Anybody else hear this on ATR this afternoon? Apparently Denman is going to be running in the Scottish Grand National at Ayr. Was thinking about going to the meeting and if Denman is entered in the race I will be even more eager to go. Actually as I type this I found an article on it: http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=racing/10/03/30/manual_150927.html

Re: Denman -> Scottish Grand National

Denman heads the weights for next month's Coral Scottish Grand National at Ayr - and is likely to run. This year's totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup runner-up has been allocated 11st 12 lbs with the second highest rated Madison du Berlais from the David Pipe yard set to carry 10st 1lb. Joint-owner Paul Barber admits a trip north of the border could now be a real possibility. "I think Ayr is virtually certain if the ground is soft," Barber said. "However, if the ground is fast, or even good, he will not be running. It has got to be on the soft side. "Aintree has no chance and Punchestown has got some chance if the ground is right. "Ayr would have as good a chance as anywhere, but it's all on the ground - he might end up not running in any. "At that time of year it can come up quick at Ayr and if it's quick ground, he won't be there." Notable contenders from further down the handicap include the Haydock Blue Square Gold Cup winner Silver By Nature (10st) from the Lucinda Russell yard vying to become the first Scottish trained winner of the race since Cockle Strand in 1982, the Cheltenham RSA Chase runner up Burton Point (9st 10lbs) and the Cheltenham William Trophy winner and runner up Chief Dan George (9st 6lbs) and The Package (9st 5lbs). Ferdy Murphy has entered another Cheltenham victor - National Hunt Chase winner Poker de Sivola (8st 10lbs) and Faasel just touched off in the Kim Muir in the Cotswolds is a pound higher in the weights. But it is the Denman entry that will attract all the attention and although Paul Nicholls has five other entries including likely John Smith's Grand National runner Big Fella Thanks indications are that the 2008 Cheltenham Gold Cup winner and 2009 and 2010 runner up will line up in the £200,000 race. Lindsey Smith, Marketing Manager at Ayr Racecourse commented : "What a great boost it is for the Coral Scottish Grand National that Denman is amongst the entries. It underlines the standing the race has in the racing calendar and if Paul Nicholls does declare him it will create an unprecedented interest in the race." Advance ticket sales are well ahead of last year and can be booked by calling 01292-264179 or by going online at www.ayr-racecourse.co.uk with special discounts available for those booked seven or more days before the meeting. Sponsors Coral reacted to the surprising news by making Denman their 5-2 favourite for the Ayr marathon. Spokesman David Stevens said: "Clearly if Denman were to run he would be a red-hot favourite. "Although his presence would give us a very one-sided book, that would be more than compensated by the interest he would generate."
Thats the article, reading through that it looks like it could be some line-up, the best in a while as best as I can recall anyway :loon

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.