Rule 4

I was just doing some calculations on paper and I notied that, just because Rule 4 is applied - it does not necessarily ensure that the Bookmaker's Book is overround. For example, let's say for the sake of argument that there is a three horse race, each horse is a strong contender and the bookie prices each of them at 7/4 (2.75). For the sake of example, lets say he takes £1000 on each selection. If any selection wins he will payout £2750, annd since he has taken £3000, he is £250 in profit from a 109% overround. Now let's say one of the horse is withdrawn, meaning a rule 4 deduction of 35p in the pound at odds of 7/4. Since he has to return the stakes on the withdrawn horse - his takings are now only £2000 but he has to pay out £2137.50, so he is working at a loss. Have I got this totally wrong or is it true that the bookie suffers from withdrawn horses?

Re: Rule 4 Realistically though there won't be a race where all the runners are priced the same, I think if it was only 3 horses the over round would be far greater to ensure the bookie still makes a profit should any outcome of a horse been withdrawn arise. Although on paper your theory could be correct but the actual reality of it happening looks unrealistic.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.