Golf: South African Open 2009

RussP

Re: Golf: South African Open 2009 First, I'll kick off with a couple of outrights before moving on to some 1st day 3-balls. R.Sterne to win South African Open, 1.5pts EW @ 14/1 Ladbrokes (1st 5, 1/4 odds) The first bet of the new golf year and let's hope it's a winning one. Sterne comes here as defending champ and will be keen to hold on to his title. Clearly likes the course having won in a play off last term but there are many more reasons to favour him here. Firstly, there is the stat than South African's have won the last 8 renewals of this tournament, that's almost enough to get involved on its own. Secondly is Sterne's excellent record in his home country. In 2008, finished 18th, 16th and 1st in the 3 events on home soil, 1st, 1st and 12th last year and continued that impressive record with a 4th last week at Alfred Dunhill, finishing as 2nd top South African. That clearly shows he comes here in decent nick. Is capable too of hitting some low scores, as demonstrated last week, where he was the only runner in the field to shoot 2 scores under 67. Surprised he is not fav for this event and did expect to see him around the 8/1 mark so, at almost double that, I'll happily take this bet on. G.Mulroy to win South African Open, 1pt EW @ 28/1 Boylesports (1st 5, 1/4 odds) I like to have 2 running for me in big fields so am supporting Mulroy here. Another South African, sticking to the trend of dominance for the home grown golfers, and a man in enough form to make this a worthwhile bet. Finished T12 last week, and was the 3rd highest ranked South African. Could have gone a lot closer had his middle 2 rounds matched his other 2, with a 68 and 66. Proved with those 2 rounds he can score low and will have taken a lot of confidence from his closing 66, the joint best round of the day. If he can take that forward to this tournament, I believe 28's looks a big price in what I think is a weak field.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.