2009 Sports Personality of the Year

I know there's a thread about this in sports banter but betting wise we'll go here. Always a cracking watch and I reckon there's a couple of decent value bets for tonight's show. 2pts J.Ennis to win Sports Personality of the Year 6/1 Blue Square I think this years Sports Personality award is wide open. Jenson Button is the favourite and it's not hard to see why but there's value outside of him. I'd be disappointed if Ryan Giggs wins this award. His year has been nothing special and he's already won a dubious PFA award. So I think the main value lies in Jessica Ennis. There's many people who don't appreciate F1 who will be of the view that Button only won the world championship because he was in the best car. I'm not one of those but there are plenty who will see it like that. Ennis has no worries on that score. She won her world title over 7 tricky events and scored one of the best overall scores in history by a British athlete, this coming so soon after she was forced to miss the Olympics last year, very late on due to injury. It should have no effect but the show is in her home city tonight and while it should have no huge effect in the grand scheme of things it's something worth having with you than against you. Unlike some of the field tonight, Ennis would be a very worthy winner and I don't make her anything like a 6/1 shot to scoop the award. Jenson will take a lot of beating but as I say there are plenty of those who oppose F1 so I'll take Ennis at a decent price tonight. 1pt T.Daley Top 3 finish 10/1 Betfred As I said above, I don't think there's a huge amount of genuine contenders for the title and if we assume Button and Ennis are good things for the top 3 then one spot is very much wide open. I'd like to think this is only between the world champions so I'll rule out Giggs, Strauss, Cavendish and Murray. So we're left with David Haye, whose achievement was excellent but in truth it wasn't the greatest fight and perhaps most importantly it wasn't on the BBC. Phillips Idowu did well to win the triple jump but again his performance was nothing special in terms of history or anything like that so I'll give him a swerve. That leaves us with Beth Tweddle and Tom Daley. Beth Tweddle definitely deserves recognition for almost carrying a sport we've notoriously had little interest in before she came along but the story is with young Tom Daley. A world champion in a tricky sport at the age of 15 and beating the current Olympic champion in the process is very much an achievement worth celebrating. A possible downside is he's up for the Young Sports Personality award but that doesn't mean he can't go ok in the main event. A 15 year old kid as world champion of anything doesn't happen too often, let alone when he originates from Great Britain and in a wide open event I think there's room for the young guy in the top 3 and at a double figure price it's a more than value bet.