Wednesday Baseball

Guest peter orchard

Guest peter orchard

The much reviled Mike Hampton gets custody of the baseball tonight for the Braves. The man has some amazing numbers from last year and while recent results are making a total mockery of anything that's gone before, I believe Hampton has the equipment to deal with a Mets side that won the first encounter but a side that I see reverting to type any time soon. Worrying that Atlanta are understaffed on both batting and pitching this year and sitting top of the pile again the whole season may not be a realistic target but I think this is one they can win. Sticking me neck out here at a time when the underdogs are laughing loudest; when teams like Tampa, Detroit and Milwaukee are tearing up the form books and when Maroth has a 1-0 start! Seems fashionable, (and profitable) to oppose the great oldies who've gone to pastures new and Roger Clemens starts for Houston against the Giants tonight. Otherwise I think Kevin Brown will do it for the Yankees while he's still healthy. I think Brandon Webb does it for Arizona against Jason Jennings who seemed incapable of playing anywhere aside from Coors last year. And I think the brilliant Woody Williams reverses the trend for the Cards. As an aside Paul Ross: the guy posting on your other site is betting run lines and being awarded the win s\u. I'm not certain he's aware of the distinction but in any event, it will mislead those who are also new to baseball since a run line win will invariably (though not always) carry a -1,5 run handicap. :p