Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series

With the Champions League finishing on Friday, it's time to get the next cricket thread rocking and rolling. India host Australia for a 7 match ODI series which begins on Sunday. All 7 matches are live on Sky Sports. As always, I'm not going to post the series odds in here because they come out looking awful but the odds can be found here: http://odds-comparison.bestbetting.com/cricket/icc-odi-championship/india-v-australia/series-betting-(2009)/?showMostPopular=true Schedule:

Sun Oct 25 09:00 local | 03:30 GMT 03:30 GMT 1st ODI - India v Australia Reliance Stadium, Vadodara 32.png 19 - 35° C ci_weather_rightarrow.gifimg_weather_close.gif Forecast Sunny Click here for 10-day-Forecast
Wed Oct 28 14:30 local | 09:00 GMT 09:00 GMT 2nd ODI - India v Australia Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Jamtha, Nagpur
N/A
Sat Oct 31 14:30 local | 09:00 GMT 09:00 GMT 3rd ODI - India v Australia Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi
N/A
Mon Nov 2 14:30 local | 09:00 GMT 09:00 GMT 4th ODI - India v Australia Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh
N/A
Thu Nov 5 14:30 local | 09:00 GMT 09:00 GMT 5th ODI - India v Australia Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Uppal, Hyderabad
N/A
Sun Nov 8 09:00 local | 03:30 GMT 03:30 GMT 6th ODI - India v Australia Nehru Stadium, Guwahati
N/A
Wed Nov 11 14:30 local | 09:00 GMT 09:00 GMT 7th ODI - India v Australia Dr DY Patil Sports Academy, Mumbai
N/A
Remember we'll be GMT again in the UK for this series :ok.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series Right, I'll look right into this series tomorrow but there's one bet for Sunday's 1st ODI which has to be taken now because I'm certain any other bookies to price up will have their 6's line a lot higher than Skybet's line, so I'll get this line while I can. It's a pretty strong bet for me too. 7pts India vs Australia 1st ODI - Over 5.5 6's 5/6 Skybet The Reliance Stadium in Vadodana is the venue for this opening ODI of the series and it's a ground where I expect to see plenty of runs even with a 9am local time start. The ball might do a bit for the 1st few overs but after that this is going to be full of runs. History shows this wicket has runs in it. In the 8 previous matches here, 6 games have had a 1st innings score in excess of 250, with 300+ recorded on 2 occasions and 290/8 on another. The last 4 matches here have seen this line covered. On some occasions it's been covered in one innings. The last game on this ground, between these two sides incidentally, saw scores of 148 all out and 149/1 and there was still 7 6's in the game which goes to emphasise how readily 6's come at this ground. Both sides are full of hitters capable of clearing the ropes. Sehwag, Tendulkar, Reina and Yuvraj can all go big for India while Watson, White, Ponting, Johnson and even Lee can bang it for Australia. In today's world with powerplays and free hits, 6 6's isn't a big target so I'm happy to have a decent sized bet on the overs here. Had this been games 3 or 4 I'd probably go 10pts on this but given we don't know exactly what form the Indian's are in, I'll keep my stake to more medium levels with 7pts on the overs.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series As an Indian fan my view is probably biased but with Sehwag back and hopefully Yuvraj fit too, the price on India to win the first ODI (2.20 on bet365) is too tempting for me. The sixes bet looks a very good one Kev, shame there's no such option on bet365. I also like the look of Suresh Raina achieving 28 and over points (1.83) on the player performance market on bet365. There are doubts over Yuvraj and Dhoni's fitness so he could easily be batting as high as number 4. He is also a very good fielder and fielding at point you would expect him to take a catch or two. And it would be no surprise to see him bowl a few overs.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series Really looking forward to this series. Going with a couple of Australian series top bats. 2pts S.Marsh Top Australia Series Batsman 5/1 Blue Square Shaun Marsh is a really quality player who showed for the Kings XI in IPL1 that he is more than at home on these wickets. There's talk of Marsh batting in the middle order but I'd want and hope he opens the batting as that is his natural role. Wherever he bats I think the Western Australian will have a cracking series with the bat but if he does open then I expect him to be the one to catch in the Aussie run charts. He hasn't played for a while and doesn't play test cricket at the minute so unlike a few of his colleagues he is unlikely to be rested for rotation so I'll take the 5/1. 1pt T.Paine Top Australia Series Batsman 9/1 Totesport Tim Paine has settled into the Aussie side nicely and if he continues to open the batting in this series then this 9/1 is a ridiculous price even over a 7 match series. Personally, I think he'll drop down and bat at 6 but he's being touted as opening, certainly early doors in this series. If he does do that then with the nature of one day cricket, as I said the 9/1 is big but there's still a role for someone in the middle order to score runs and there's no reason that can't be Paine so I'll have a small bet on the 9/1 on the Aussie wicket keeper.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series

I also like the look of Suresh Raina achieving 28 and over points (1.83) on the player performance market on bet365. There are doubts over Yuvraj and Dhoni's fitness so he could easily be batting as high as number 4. He is also a very good fielder and fielding at point you would expect him to take a catch or two. And it would be no surprise to see him bowl a few overs.
I completely agree there Westy. I'm taking him to top bat rather than his performance though but I agree he should cover that target easily. 2 more for me for the opener. 4pts Australia to win 1st ODI 8/11 Stan James Australia have bags of momentum at the minute. They won the Champions Trophy earlier this month and their state side New South Wales have just won the Champions League Twenty20 competition. So they come into this match on a high, unlike their opponents whose confidence could be a little low having bombed out of the Champions Trophy in the group stages and their IPL franchises offering little in the Champions League. India have plenty of injury problems, particularly with their bowling attack and if Ishant Sharma's poor recent form continues then I do worry for India's bowling with no Zaheer Khan or RP Singh. Yuvraj misses this 1st match too which isn't helpful, particularly as MS Dhoni isn't fully fit either. Australia will be without Clarke, Haddin, Ferguson and Bracken but they were missing for the Champions Trophy (albeit only late on in Ferguson's case) so it's not as though they can't cover that. Brett Lee is on fire at the minute and Shaun Marsh offers a real solid batting option. Confidence and momentum is key in the one day game and it's all with Australia right now and so is my money at 8/11. 1pt ew S.Raina Top India Batsman 8/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Suresh Raina is a fine middle order batsman. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he'll bat at 4 in this game with Yuvraj out but he'll definitely be in the top 6. That middle order spot could be an ideal one because it's likely he'll both avoid Brett Lee and could well bat in the batting powerplay. There's plenty of talent in this Indian batting lineup but at this price I'm more than happy to take the aggressive but solid Raina here.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series A shame Shaun Marsh didnt play, if Voges is his replacement at least he didnt score many! Good start for Paine also, If he hadn't got that 50, he'd've struggled to keep pace with Ponting this series I would guess but he's nicely in touch at this early stage. Regardless of the final outcomes, I'm glad I stumbled across this site, it has definately re-ignited my passion for cricket!

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series Not sure how that got so close but Australia did the job in the end. The 6's was never in any doubt. That line was way way too low as proved by the eventual total being double the line we took. No joy with Raina but I'm not too worried about that. 6.73pt profit on the day will do me nicely going into game 2 on Wednesday.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series Game 2 is in the morning from Nagpur. It's a 9am start. Not sure how many bets I'll have. This is the 1st though, it's a maximum bet too. 10pts India vs Australia 2nd ODI - Over 7.5 6's 5/6 William Hill Maximum bet for me here. This line is way way too low. It's the lowest line out there with other lines ranging from 8.5-11. Nagpur is a very high scoring ground. 4 of the last 6 matches here have not only seen the side batting 1st go past 300 but there's also been double figures in terms of 6's in 4 of those matches too. The last 3 on this ground have ended with 15, 16 and 15 6's so this is very much a ground where 6's come freely. In Vadodara on Sunday, these two put up 11 6's and Yuvraj never played and Sehwag barely faced a ball. Yuvraj looks like being back here while Lee, Hopes and Johnson are all out or very doubtful for Australia which in theory means their attack could be harder to hit. Weather conditions are perfect for the game and the fact it's a day/night match could make 6 hitting easily in the evening as the dew makes the ball harder to grip causing the bowling to be a lot less accurate than usual. As I said on Sunday, both sides strength is their batting and on a belting batting wicket I'm extremely confident we'll be seeing at least 8 6's over the course of the match.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series gl mate like the bet, Yuvi's back, and like you say Sehwag never really got a hit, Raina, Dhoni and Kohli also capable of hitting 6's, failing that there's Harbajhan and Kumar who are in good slogging mode. Australia also have Watson, White and Johnson who can all hit a big ball, plus Henriques might play for Hopes and he's a big enough hitter. Im on.:ok

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series Kumar might not play mate but there's more than enough hitting in these two sides to clear these ropes 8 times. One more bet for me in this match. 3pts H.Singh's Performance Pts 38&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Harbhajan had a decent all round game at Vadodara with a wicket and 49 quick runs totalling up to 69pts in total. Now he comes onto a ground where the wicket takes turn. This is the ground which Jason Krezja took 8 for last year. Harbhajan has 6 wickets in his last 3 ODI's on this ground so there's every chance he'll cover this total with the ball, especially if he can get to bowl near the death like Dhoni sometimes has him doing. We saw in the last game that he can bat and bat big. He isn't a bad fielder by Indian standards either so there's 3 ways of picking up points. An average game sees this total covered but a solid game in either facet sees it covered easily so I'm on the overs here.

Well done on that maximum stake 6s bet Kev!
Ta mate, sneaked it in the end but a win is a win eh ;). Hopefully between us in here we all made Hills suffer :dude. Can't believe the lack of aggression in that Australia innings though. Perfect batting wicket as even their last 2 showed. Got their batting lineup all wrong as well I thought. Chose the wrong spinner to take with the performance but it's still a 5.33pt profit on the game putting me 12.06pts up so far for the series. Did anyone see the advert for the winter of cricket on sky at lunchtime :unsure. Wall to wall cricket this winter :nana. Game 3 of this series is in Delhi on Saturday.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series 3rd ODI is tomorrow. I'm in a rush as I've got to go out tonight but I appreciate it's Friday night and some people might like to know my bets before tomorrow so I'll post them now and come back with writeup's later tonight when I get in. 2 so far. 4pts Under 6 6's 11/8 Sportingbet None of the last 6 ODI's at the Feroz Shah Kotla have seen 6 6's. The last one to see this amount of 6's came in 1996 and required Sachin Tendulkar hitting 5 of them on his own. We saw in the recent twenty20 champions league that this pitch will be slow and low and very hard to score off. We've just come off the best wicket of the series so far and there was only 8 6's which only just came through. With that in mind I think it will be very difficult for these sides to clear the ropes with ease in this match. Barring someone like Sehwag or Yuvraj going bonkers I'm reasonably confident this line won't be covered. 3pts A.Voges Performance Pts 27&Over 4/5 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Adam Voges should go well on this wicket with both the bat and the ball. His part time left arm spin has picked up a wicket in the series so far and we've seen that even though he isn't a big turner of the ball, he's got some turn off these wickets and with this wicket one of the best for spinners I wouldn't rule out a wicket here. He's often been in the mix in the field and a catch isn't out of the question and by batting at 6 he'll have every chance to cover this total with the bat too. For a guy who could be contributing in all 3 facets of the game, 27pts is very low and on a wicket which should suit both his batting and his bowling, I'll take the ex-Notts man to cover 27pts.

Sport Cricket
Event India v Australia ODI Series
Selection India to win series
Strength 10/10
Date 11/11/2009
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 1.66 (Back)
Reasoning 1-1 now but I don't have much hope for Australia in this series. Injuries are mounting up and now Lee is out of the series which is a massive loss. They've played so much cricket this year and look tired, think India will steamroller them from here. India were excellent in last game, have a lot of guys in form and are exceptional at home, should take this series comfortably.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series With the Delhi pitch likely to be slow and low, runs could be very hard to come by. Early wickets could tumble which is why I'm taking a little punt on Ravindra Jadeja to top score for India at 16/1 (William Hill.) On this pitch it is most likely that the steady but unspectacular batsmen will succeed.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series Have edited the earlier post with write up's of those bets. Agree with Westy's analysis on Jadeja and am following a similar line with the Aussie top bat. 1pt ew N.Hauritz Top Australia Batsman 80/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) I'm happy to throw a couple of points away here because this is a silly price given Hauritz placed for Australia in Nagpur on Wednesday. Here we'll be on a wicket which won't suit many of the Aussie batsmen and it could be that a late rescue innings is required to post some sort of total. Hauritz not only showed on Wednesday that he can bat but he showed it in the Ashes too and even though he'll be batting at number 9 in this match, there's no reason why he won't have enough time to play into a place. If a total wipeout is going to happen anywhere it could well be here and at such a ridiculous price I'll take the Aussie off spinner here.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series Hmmm, that was all going ok until the 49th over then we got 2 6's. It's not a huge total though and not an easy pitch so I'm hoping Australia can restrict India to 3 6's and guarantee the profit for the day. We only need an Adam Voges catch to bring his performance in so hopefully things come together in the 2nd half to bring in another solid profit.

Re: Cricket: India vs Australia - ODI Series 4th ODI is in the morning from Mohali. Apologies for being late with bets but I've been waiting for odds to go up and it's taken a while which was surprising given the lack of time between these two matches. I'm going with 4 bets in this match. Word of warning for anyone betting on the match outright pre-toss, the dew is going to have a massive say in the outcome of this match. 7pts India vs Australia 4th ODI - Under 7.5 6's 4/5 Skybet Not only is Skybet's line a little out with the others, their price very much is. For example, Blue Square have their line at 6.5 and the price is 4/6 for the under. The reason for that is that in 15 ODI's on this ground, none of them have seen more than 7 6's. There has been one ODI with 7 6's and 2 with 6. Other than that the rest haven't seen many at all including a few with no 6's at all. This isn't a small ground and even though the pitch is generally good for batting it has a bit in it for the seamers but the outfield is huge and clearing the ropes here isn't as easy as it is in say Vadodara or Nagpur. Both sides are missing some of their 1st choice batsmen - the latest to go lame being Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir, both of whom are doubtful and unlikely to play in this game. There's still some hitting talent in the game in the form of Yuvraj and Dhoni but history would have to be made in terms of 6's for this line to be covered. I'm not sure there's enough hitting talent for it to happen so I'll take the unders here for 7pts. It would've been 10pts but it should be a good batting wicket so I'll just stick to a medium-high stake. 3pts R.Ponting's Match Runs 41 and over 11/8 Blue Square I was looking at taking Ponting's performance at 35pts but that was at 5/6 and yet for 6 runs more we can get an 11/8 price. Of course catches can help with the performance but Ponting's only taken one catch in the series so far so I feel for the extra 0.55 per point odds this is a risk worth taking. The reason for that is not only is Ponting in good form in this series with a couple of classy half centuries already but in the Champions Trophy here in 2006 he made half centuries in both the semi-final and the final. So it's a ground he's performed well at and as I say he's here in good form. Australia need to win here to get back into the series and in order to do that they need their captain to step up again and I think 41 runs is well within his reach at a nice odds against price. 3pts M.Johnson's Performance Pts 41&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Mitchell Johnson has covered this line in the 1st 2 matches of this series and wasn't far away in the last game on a wicket which never suited his batting or his bowling. This wicket is likely to suit both formats for him. He'll enjoy bowling with the new ball here and his batting should be better with the ball coming onto the bat better than it did in Delhi. I still don't think he's bowling that well but he's getting wickets with his clever subtlety. He's now batting 7 for Australia with all their injuries so there's no reason why he won't make runs at all. That's 2 strong point scoring possibilities for Johnson in this game and I think he'll cover 41pts. 1pt ew M.Dhoni Top India Batsman 5/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Mahendra Singh Dhoni is batting brilliantly at the minute. His century in Nagpur was sheer class and his partnership with Yuvraj in Delhi won the game for his side. Since he became captain of India he's taken a lot more responsibility with the bat but as he showed in Nagpur he can still belt it miles when the need arises. India could well be without two of their better batsmen in this match in the form of Sehwag and Gambhir which would only boost Dhoni's chances of top scoring. There's still lots of ability in this Indian batting lineup but the captain looks composed at the crease and given we get our money back for a place I think Dhoni's a fantastic ew bet to nothing here.