Golf: Presidents Cup

This is where my golf betting will lie this weekend. The President's Cup is the equivalent of the Ryder Cup between USA and Rest of the World (Internationals). There've been 7 previous competitions and the USA lead 5-1 with 1 tie. Odds for the tournament can be found here: http://odds-comparison.bestbetting.com/golf/the-presidents-cup/ The format is like the Ryder Cup albeit over an extra day. There will be 6 foursomes on Thursday, 6 fourballs on Friday, 5 foursomes and fourballs on Saturday and 12 singles on Sunday. The winning team is the 1st to 17.5.

Re: Golf: Presidents Cup One outright punt for me in this to begin with. May come back with another before the off tomorrow. 1pt ew T.Clark Top International Points Scorer 14/1 Bet365 (1/4 1,2,3) It's hard to know where to go with the International points scorer because this is Greg Norman's 1st captaincy of the side so we've no previous clues with regards to pairings and things. You'd think he'd try and pair up nationalities wherever possible and I like that as I'd imagine Clark would pair up with Goosen - both good match players. He could of course go with Els but I've a sneaky feeling that he'll pair Els up with a rookie, either Ishikawa or Y E Yang. One thing we do know is Clark is a very good match player. He sent Woods packing in the Accenture earlier this year and is generally suited well to matchplay. The course isn't long so that won't be a problem so with the right partner, I think Tim Clark can be right in the International points scorers mix this week.

Re: Golf: Presidents Cup Ok the draw for tonight's 4somes were done last night. It's brought up 3 bets I like. 3pts M.Weir & T.Clark to beat P.Mickelson & A.Kim 15/8 Betfred Match tees off at 20.10 BST. Phil Mickelson and Anthony Kim are seen as the pair to lead USA's challenge off successfully but in the 2 foursome matches they played together in the Ryder Cup last year, they could only take half a point so there's nothing to suggest they are unbeatable at the top of the order. In fact I think they are very much beatable in this one ball format and Greg Norman has picked a pairing spot on to do it. Both Mike Weir and Tim Clark are cracking hitters of a golf ball. Both drive straight, hit irons well and putt well. This is a pairing who could take a lot of beating. We all know what Mickelson's like. He can be flawless at times and at others he'll be sending Anthony Kim all round San Francisco. Kim isn't the tightest player either. Steady eddie wins the race in foursomes and that tag goes to Weir & Clark and I think they are a great price to win the opening match of this years President Cup. 3pts L.Glover & S.Cink to beat V.Singh & R.Allenby 6/5 Ladbrokes Match tees off at 20.34 BST. Lucas Glover and Stewart Cink should be a good pairing. They are both major champions this year so it's hard to see how they can be more confident. They both hit the ball nicely too. They drive it straight and are good putters and they'll be a tough nut for the Antipodean pairing to handle. Vijay Singh can be devastating on his day but I can't remember the last time he holed a putt while Robert Allenby is a solid player. Should be a good game to follow this one. It could well go up 18 but I expect the American pairing to prevail here. 3pts K.Perry & Z.Johnson to beat A.Cabrera & C.Villegas 5/4 Ladbrokes Match tees off at 20.46 BST. Funnily enough only Ladbrokes and Bet365 have the American pairing as favourites in this match. I very much do and see it as roles reversed from the opening game where the pairing with the flair but potential inconsistency take on a couple of steady eddie's. We know what we're going to get from Perry & Johnson. We'll get fairways by the bucket load, we'll get greens and we'll get putts. We don't know what the South American duo will bring to the party though. They can be brilliant but awful equally as easily and if they are slightly wayward then the American pair will take advantage. I just fancy the more consistent American pair to win this match.

Re: Golf: Presidents Cup Small loss on the night last night. So unlucky with Glover & Cink. To go round -4 in a foursomes match and lose is bordering on the ridiculous really. Going with them again tonight though. 3pts L.Glover & S.Cink to beat V.Singh & T.Clark 6/5 Boylesports Match tees off at 19.31 BST Lucas Glover and Stewart Cink played so well last night that I almost have to stick with them tonight even though they lost their match yesterday. What I like about their chances here is they are both deadly accurate and seem to get on well so they should give themselves a couple of birdie chances on most holes. -4 in a foursome round shows they are playing well. The Internationals have put out an interesting pairing here. Vijay Singh is the longest of the 4 but he can't putt at all at the minute and so Tim Clark will be under a lot of pressure to make some birdies. That in itself isn't too bad but he'll be shooting 1st into most greeens so Glover and Cink can have 2 strategies to win holes. The American duo are well suited to each other and playing well so I'll go with them again. 3pts R.Allenby & C.Villegas to beat Z.Johnson & H.Mahan 11/8 Betfred Match tees off at 19.43 BST. I really like this International pairing in a 4-ball. Robert Allenby played lovely golf yesterday and he can take care of his ball and allow the vibrant Colombian almost a free rein to go and make some birdies. That's a wonderful proposition because Villegas can birdie courses with the best of them when he gets going. Allenby himself won't be far away the way he's playing. Zach Johnson and Hunter Mahan are very similar. They're both solid players but neither are as long as the International pairing so they'll be playing most of their shots into the green 1st. Normally that's an advantage but I'm not always sure that's the case in 4-balls. 4-balls gives Allenby/Villegas the opportunity to set up a par for the other one to go for a birdie which could well put the pressure on the American approach shots. I can't understand why Couples split up Johnson and Perry when both said how they enjoyed playing together. That could well be the international side's gain so I'll go with the Aussie/Columbian combo to win match 5 here.

Re: Golf: Presidents Cup Annoyingly no joy for me last night. For the 2nd night running Lucas Glover missed a short putt to cost me and that pairing were 1up thru 16 to fail to win. One for the foursomes this afternoon. 3pts S.Cink & H.Mahan to beat V.Singh & R.Allenby 21/20 Stan James Match tees off at 16.05 BST. Stewart Cink played lovely golf yesterday without a lot of help from his partner and Hunter Mahan is always someone who can be relied upon in this format given how solid he hits the ball and how well he putts. As I've said all week, I wouldn't want to be paired with Vijay Singh. Tee to green he's still really good but he just can't hole a putt and it's no surprise Tim Clark contributed a lot to winning their match last night. Robert Allenby was really poor last night until the last couple of holes and even though this pairing went round in -5 on Thursday, I think the American pair are playing better golf and will prevail.

Re: Golf: Presidents Cup Sunday Singles Mahan US v Villegas Int - Mahan @1.83 Paddypower **** Villegas has been playing horible here he has yet to win - he missed yesterday's afternoon Four-ball however played the morning Foursomes and was beaten paired with Goosen by Mickelson/O'Hair comprehensively 5 & 3. Friday he was also beaten paired with Allenby in the Four-ball 2 & 1 by Johnson/Mahan. Thursday he was beaten pairedwith Cabrera2 & 1 by Perry/Johnson. Mahan on the other hand has improved after the thursday loss paired with O'Hair by Scott/Els 2 & 1in the foursomes, Friday in the four ball he beat Villegas then Saturday he finished all square paired with Cink in the morning Foursomes against Allenby/Singh and missed yesterday afternoon. I can't see how bookies have these 2 priced up equal when the form player is Mahan here! Cink US v Scott Int - Cink @1.73 Paddypower **** I fail to see again why these 2 aren't that far priced up by the bookies having Cink as the marginal favourite? Scott has played horrible all year! he got this tournament off to a good start however that was down to Els putting which was quite sublime on the thursday in the foursomes. He was then 3 & 2 with Goosen on Friday, Saturday morning beaten paired with Els 4 & 2 and then Saturday afternoon beaten paired with Cabrera 2 & 1. Cink on the other hand has been in form for best part of the season and although he's yet to register a win here he's not being getting beaten by much when paired with somebody else! I expect him to comfortably beat Scott here!

Re: Golf: Presidents Cup 4 for me in the singles. I'm not a huge fan of betting on odds on shots over 18 holes but there's a couple I like today. 3pts M.Weir to beat J.Leonard 10/11 Ladbrokes Match tees off at 17.32 BST. These guys are both good match players but their form this week has been chalk and cheese. Mike Weir has played well all week. Looks good from tee to green and his putting has been excellent as ever. Justin Leonard hasn't been his usual self. On his day he's a very good match player as he's shown in Ryder Cup's in the past but his putter hasn't been very hot this week and a few of his approach shots have been poor. I expect this to be a close match but the Canadian's better form so far this weekend makes me take him at 10/11. 4pts S.Stricker to beat G.Ogilvy 8/13 Stan James Match tees off at 17.54 BST. Steve Stricker has been the star player this week which isn't altogether surprising given the excellent form he's brought in. He's perfect for the course. Straight, long enough and putts like a dream. He shot 7 birdies yesterday to carry Tiger in the 4-balls and anything close to a repeat of that sees this job done. Geoff Ogilvy has shown in the past in the Accenture that he's a very good matchplayer but he hasn't brought his game with him to San Francisco this week so I'm very confident that Stricker will win this one albeit at a skinny price. 4pts E.Els to beat S.O'Hair 5/6 Sportingbet Match tees off at 18.05 BST. Ernie Els has been one of the International stars this week. He's played lovely golf all week really. He's flushing the ball off the tee and his irons have been good. The real difference for Big Easy has been that his putter has been in good touch. Sean O'Hair has disappointed this week. He's still fairly new to matchplay which may not help. Ernie has all the experience in the world and that should stand him in good enough state to triumph in this one. 3pts R.Goosen to beat P.Mickelson 13/10 Stan James Match tees off at 19.00 BST. Retief hasn't played badly this week and I like the more solid approach to his game than Mickelson's gung ho approach. Mickelson is always dangerous in matchplay because he can win a hole from nowhere with his outrageous shotplay but he faces a tough cookie in Goosen who is unflapable and playing very well. I don't think either will run away with this but if the US have already won by the time this one comes down the stretch that could take some of Lefty's concentration away whereas if the Internationals are to win the event Goosen will need to bring this point in. I'd have it closer to 8/11 and Evs so I'll take the Goose at 13/10.

Re: Golf: Presidents Cup Y E YANG TO BEAT WOODS 5/2 SKYBET Y E Yang played with Woods in the final round on US PGA Championship in August & the day he beat Woods by five shots, aint had time to watch alot of Presidents Cup this week but that day he wasnt intimidated by Tiger & that was under more pressure I feel so 5/2 is worth the bet

Re: Golf: Presidents Cup :ok

Sunday Singles Mahan US v Villegas Int - Mahan @1.83 Paddypower **** :dudeMahan wins 2 & 1 Villegas has been playing horible here he has yet to win - he missed yesterday's afternoon Four-ball however played the morning Foursomes and was beaten paired with Goosen by Mickelson/O'Hair comprehensively 5 & 3. Friday he was also beaten paired with Allenby in the Four-ball 2 & 1 by Johnson/Mahan. Thursday he was beaten pairedwith Cabrera2 & 1 by Perry/Johnson. Mahan on the other hand has improved after the thursday loss paired with O'Hair by Scott/Els 2 & 1in the foursomes, Friday in the four ball he beat Villegas then Saturday he finished all square paired with Cink in the morning Foursomes against Allenby/Singh and missed yesterday afternoon. I can't see how bookies have these 2 priced up equal when the form player is Mahan here! Cink US v Scott Int - Cink @1.73 Paddypower **** :dudeCink wins 4 & 3 I fail to see again why these 2 aren't that far priced up by the bookies having Cink as the marginal favourite? Scott has played horrible all year! he got this tournament off to a good start however that was down to Els putting which was quite sublime on the thursday in the foursomes. He was then 3 & 2 with Goosen on Friday, Saturday morning beaten paired with Els 4 & 2 and then Saturday afternoon beaten paired with Cabrera 2 & 1. Cink on the other hand has been in form for best part of the season and although he's yet to register a win here he's not being getting beaten by much when paired with somebody else! I expect him to comfortably beat Scott here!