PGA Golf - The Barclays

When a new venue is in use the key is to read up as much about the course and I especially like to look at pictures to see what it reminds me of. With the Liberty it does have that distinct "links" look to it but I don't think it will play like a links course over here - the ground is basically different - it was a landfill site! It does remind me of one venue played on the PGA tour and that is Whistling Straits - the venue of the 2004 PGA Championship and whilst I don't think it will play exactly the same I do think players who did well there will be to the fore. The only bet I have had at this stage is the winner of that event Vijay Singh - this must be a first for me as I don't think I have ever backed him before. Whilst he is the defending champion I don't think the pressures are the same when the venue changes and although he hasn't won this season - last year he didn't win til August and then won the WGC at Firestone and the first two Fedex playoffs. There is no doubting his fitness has been an issue after early season knee surgery but he won't want his first winless season since 2001. There have been encouraging recent signs of form of late - he was 4th at the cut in the Open and was 2nd at the cut in the PGA Championship which leads me neatly on to how I have bet him. I have placed £250 on Betfair win only at 55/1 - if he gets into contention his odds will drop considerably and I am quite happy to lay the stake back at 10/1 and then see what happens.

Re: PGA Golf - The Barclays -1pt E/W Steve stricker W/O Woods @ 25/1 (general) Strick has been here a few days and is getting to grips with the wind factor. He has fond memories of the playoffs so will be looking forward to the challenge of Liberty National. The greens here will suit him big time aswell, being 1 of the best putters on tour. -1pt E/W Hunter Mahan @ 25/1 W/O Woods (general) You may notice I keep on backing Hunter. this is for 1 reason only - he will win, and soon. Top quality all round golfer could thrive on this course -1pt E/W Camillo Villegas W/O Woods @ 50/1 (general) BIG price on a guy that seems to click into gear come the latter part of the season. Back to back winner in the playoffs last year and has shown the ability to handle windy conditions at the British Open. -1pt E/W Geoff Ogilvy W/O Woods @ 40/1 (general) Been showing signs of a return of form to late and with this course being mainly exposed, he won't find himself in major trouble with errant tee shots. Probably the best putter on tour bar Woods and could thrive on these greens.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.