Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1

The county season gets underway this Wednesday and as usual it begins with the County Championship. I went with 1 thread last season but I'm going with 2 threads this season because if the outright markets are anything to go by I think we might get more markets for the domestic stuff this season, especially with cricket being in the spotlight all summer. I've done a preview for each team but just a quick reminder of the rules for anyone who is new to the domestic scene. The Championship is split into 2 divisions of 9 teams. At the end of the season the bottom two in the 1st division are replaced by the top 2 in Division 2. Points are given as follows:

14pts per win

7pts per tie

4 pts for a draw

0pts for a loss

Matches last a possible 4 days and are 2 innings per side with unlimited overs. Teams are given bonus points based on how they perform in the 1st innings of each match. They are scored as follows:

Batting bonus points

200-249 runs = 1pt

250-299 runs = 2pts

300-349 runs = 3pts

350-399 runs = 4pts

400+ runs = 5pts

Bowling bonus points

3-5 wickets = 1pt

6-8 wickets = 2pts

9-10 wickets = 3pts

Bonus points only apply for the 1st 130 overs of the 1st innings. As with last season, sides can only have one overseas player at any one time.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1

SortAlphaOff.gif SortFavOnAsc.gif
v15.gifv6074.gifv6139.gifv1.gifv6169.gifv6171.gifv6006.gifv2.gifv3.gifv6002.gifv10.gifv6018.gifv502.gifv6001.gifv4.gifv401.gif
chart_off.gifDurham4.5Betfred">4.555Boylesports">5.54.7554.5Paddy Power">3.754.5544.5Victor Chandler">4.5William Hill">5Betfair">5
chart_off.gifNottinghamshire6Betfred">665.5Boylesports">5.55.54.56Paddy Power">5.55.5656Victor Chandler">5.5William Hill">5.5Betfair">6.2
chart_off.gifSomerset8Betfred">7.57.57Boylesports">8.5886Paddy Power">77.5787.5Victor Chandler">7William Hill">7Betfair">8
chart_off.gifHampshire7Betfred">7.578Boylesports">776.57Paddy Power">8.56.577.57.5Victor Chandler">7.5William Hill">7Betfair">9.6
chart_off.gifLancashire7.5Betfred">6.56.57.5Boylesports">9888Paddy Power">8.58886.5Victor Chandler">6.5William Hill">8Betfair">9.2
chart_off.gifSussex7.5Betfred">999Boylesports">7898Paddy Power">8999.59Victor Chandler">7.5William Hill">9Betfair">9.2
chart_off.gifYorkshire10Betfred">8.599Boylesports">1311139Paddy Power">111011109Victor Chandler">11William Hill">9Betfair">13
chart_off.gifWarwickshire13Betfred">111113Boylesports">15111111Paddy Power">119111111Victor Chandler">10William Hill">9Betfair">12
chart_off.gifWorcestershire365">11Betfred">131113Boylesports">1213911Paddy Power">1515131315Victor Chandler">13William Hill">11Betfair">14
Place terms 3 1/53 1/53 1/53 1/43 1/5 3 1/43 1/53 1/43 1/53 1/53 1/5
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Durhamwon the CountyChampionship last season and will put up a decent defence of their title this season. They’ve changed captains in the close season with Dale Benkenstein handing the reins over to Will Smith. Shivnerine Chanderpaul will be the overseas player after the world twenty20 but the Dynamos will make do without one until then. Durham will be keeping a keen eye on the England situation as they are sure to benefit if Steve Harmison is overlooked. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Durham haven’t been too busy in the close season in terms of player recruitment but they have signed Ian Blackwell from Somerset whilst GarryPark went to Derbyshire. Defending this title is very difficult but Durham look a good side and if they get sufficient use of their England players they can go close in all competitions this season.

Last Season: 1st

Overseas Player(s): Shivnerine Chamderpaul (From July) & Dave Warner (Twenty20 only)

Key Players: Michael di Venuto & Ian Blackwell

Best Odds: 9/2 Boylesports

Predicted Finishing Position: 2nd

Hampshire were the surprise package in the title race last year, eventually finishing 3rd. Dimitri Mascarenhas got the best from his young side who missed the likes of John Crawley for most of the season. Imran Tahir came in for the latter half of the season and proved a revelation and the Hawks faithful will be glad he’s coming back.

As well as bringing in Dominic Cork, Hampshire have also secured the services of Marcus North for the 1st part of the season but their biggest signing could well be that of Duncan Fletcher to the backroom staff. Hampshire suffered a bit of a blow however when their opening batsman Michael Brown headed off to Surrey. Nantie Hayward and Greg Lamb were released. Hampshire are a young side but if their batting can fire they’ll be right in the mix when the title is decided.

Last Season: 3rd

Overseas Player(s): Marcus North (Until June) & Imran Tahir (June onwards)

Key Players: Dimitri Mascarenhas & Imran Tahir

Best Odds: 15/2 Paddy Power

Predicted Finishing Position: 1st

Lancashire are another who have made a shrewd signing to their staff. Ousted England coach Peter Moores takes over a side who are very young and seemingly inconsistent these days but a side who definitely have the potential to win things, especially when they have their England players available. Their batting struggled bigtime last season but they’ve addressed that and with their bowlers having another year’s experience Lancashire won’t be far away.

The Lightning have shipped out the reported dressing room dividers in Stuart Law and Dominic Cork. Glen Chapple takes over as captain while the signings of Ashwell Prince and VVS Laxman as overseas players look good ones and if Peter Moores has an instant impact it would be no surprise to see Lancashire challenging for honours this season.

Last Season: 5th

Overseas Player(s): Ashwell Prince (Until June) & VVS Laxman (June onwards)

Key Players: Mal Loye & Glen Chapple

Best Odds: 8/1 Lancashire

Predicted Finishing Position: 5th

Nottinghamshire were challenging on all fronts last season but fell just short in all of them and won’t have been helped by Graeme Swann seemingly becoming England’s 1st choice spinner. Chris Read has had a year in the captaincy job now though and that could be key. Pitches were bowler friendly at TrentBridge last year but if they’ve bedded in Notts could struggle to get the required runs if Patel is away a lot.

The Outlaws have brought shrewdly in the close season. Jason Brown has come in from Northants and he’s a very good bowler at this level whilst Alastair Brown will add experience to a young batting lineup. Darren Pattinson shot to prominence last year and if he can continue taking wickets then Nottinghamshire won’t be far away.

Last Season: 2nd

Overseas Player(s): Adam Voges

Key Players: Samit Patel & Darren Pattinson

Best Odds: 5/1 Various

Predicted Finishing Position: 3rd

Somerset had a consolidation season last season but they surprised me by letting Ian Blackwell go. Justin Langer and Marcus Trescothick are a formidable opening pairing but Langer is taking up his IPL commitment this season so we won’t see that until June. Andrew Caddick is getting no younger and if the likes of Phillips, Trego and Jones don’t bowl well then it’s hard to see the Sabres bowling sides out.

As well as Ian Blackwell leaving the club, Keith Parsons has retired while nobody has come in. Missing Langer for the 1st 6 weeks of the season is big and he’ll be tough to replace and I can see a situation where when he returns Somerset are fighting a relegation battle.

Last Season: 4th

Overseas Player(s): Justin Langer

Key Players: Marcus Trescothick & Peter Trego

Best Odds: 15/2 Boylesports

Predicted Finishing Position: 8th

A new era begins at Sussex this season as Chris Adams, so long their captain and lynchpin in their side has retired to take over at Surrey. Mushtaq Ahmed, the source of so many wickets, has also had to retire so Sussex have lost two key men from a squad which wasn’t very big to begin with. They come into this season as the Pro 40 champions which was won in incredible style on the last day of the season. Michael Yardy has taken over the reigns as skipper.

Yasir Arafat has come in as overseas player and Josh Gatting has been signed as a batsman but perhaps their biggest signing was Ed Joyce who left Lords for the SouthCoast. He’s a more than capable replacement for Adams but replacing Mushy looks the problem. It could well be a season of consolidation in the 4 day game and hope to push for a one day title which won’t be helped by Matt Prior being England’s no1 again.

Last Season: 6th

Overseas Player(s): Yasir Arafat

Key Players: Murray Goodwin & Luke Wright

Best Odds: 17/2 Stan James

Predicted Finishing Position: 7th

Warwickshire are back in the 1st division after winning Division 2 last season. Ashley Giles has reformed the Bears into an impressively reliable outfit. As well as winning the 2nd Division they had good runs in the Pro40 and the Twenty20 but will have to do with another captaincy change after Darren Maddy handed over the reigns to Ian Westwood.

Jeetan Patel comes in as overseas player to replace the retired Ian Salisbury. Chris Woakes is an exciting talent with the ball and with a year of experience under his belt it will be interesting to see how he goes. The Bears have a strong batting lineup which could be boosted further if Ian Bell can’t get his England place back and if their young bowling attack fires well a solid season will be achieved with the potential of a one day pot too.

Last Season: 1st in Division 2

Overseas Player(s): Jeetan Patel

Key Players: Ian Bell & Chris Woakes

Best Odds: 14/1 Boylesports

Predicted Finishing Position: 6th

Worcestershire also came up last season via the runners up spot in Division 2. However this will be a really tough season for the Royals without the ever dependable Graeme Hick. Worcestershire spared relegation from Division 1 of the Pro40 via the playoff but their best chance of success this season remains that competition.

Ashley Noffke comes in as overseas player and he’ll go well if he can stay injury free but there’s a lot of pressure on a very young batting line up and the bowling attack places so much emphasis on Simon Jones who is another who will need to stay fit. Vikram Solanki is a clever captain but the Royals look short with both bat and ball to compete at this level.

Last Season: 2nd in Division 2

Overseas Player(s): Ashley Noffke

Key Players: Stephen Moore & Simon Jones

Best Odds: 14/1 Various

Predicted Finishing Position: 9th

Yorkshirebegin this season with a new captain after stalwart Darren Gough retired. Anthony McGrath is the new man in the hot seat. Yorkshire could well be boosted by Michael Vaughan not playing for England and if he can play most of the season in a batting lineup with Jacques Rudolph and McGrath then runs look a certainty at Headingley.

Yorkshire’s season last term was so promising on many fronts but then lost it’s way after the Azeem Rafiq situation. They were semi finalists in the Friends Provident, 2nd in the Pro 40 and looking good in the Championship until the troubled times hit. However I’d expect them to be competitive again in the one day arena and if Hoggard, Rana Naved and Kruis perform well then Yorkshire can be competitive in the longer game too.

Last Season: 7th

Overseas Player(s): Rana Naved

Key Players: Michael Vaughan & Matthew Hoggard

Best Odds: 12/1 Coral/Boylesports

Predicted Finishing Position: 4th

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 A brand new season, still can't quite believe it's Durham playing as Lords as County Champions after so many seasons of Roseberry, Speak, Daley, Blenkiron, Cox, Robinson, Hunter, Brinkley etc etc etc. Anyway, I am going to try and have a bit more structure to my tipping and betting this year, posting tips between 1-10 points reserving the right to put a 20 point bet if something comes up out of this world. Never a good idea to let your heart rule you head with betting, but my first bet of the season is: 4pts each way DURHAM TO WIN CC DIV 1: 4/1 (Blue Sq) (1/4 1.2.3) For me, Durham are simply the team to beat and have the best squad in the country. Boyles 9/2 stand out has now gone but 4/1 with money back for a top 3 finish seems very reasonable. Blackwell coming in should add a guaranteed 1000 runs in place of the mishmash of Coetzer, Muchall, B Harmison that were in as the 6th batsmen last year so that can only improve things. The seam attack has been trumpeted enough, and they know how to bowl teams out at the Riverside. Spin remains a weakness despite Blackwells arrival, plus no Chanderpaul for the first 6 games. Stoneman averaged 20 last season as opener and remains the weak link in the batting, but DiVenuto, Smith, and Benkenstein should all hit 1000 runs given a full season. As for the competition, Notts surely had their best chance last year despite a mixed bag with the batting but will no doubt go close again. Hants now only have Tahir for the second half of the season, though North will do well. Tahir coming in for the second half of the season he may have the same impact as last year but I fancy their price could be bigger by then so I may look at backing them then if their price is fair. I cant see any of the other 6 winning it to be honest. Lancs I am looking at a decent price in the relegation market, they just seem consistently overrated and I certainly cant see where the runs will come from to win the thing. Yorks seem very hot and cold, Somerset surely cant bowl teams out regularly enough to win it, Sussex arent the same force without Mushy. The 2 promoted teams were easily the best 2 in the second division last year but I cant see either challenging

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Good luck with that mate. As I said in my preview I like Hampshire this season but it's an open heat and whenever I bet in the outright this year I want double figures if poss (I remember us having a conversation last season when you're boys were 7 or 8/1 with 2-3 games left?) so I'm going to watch for a bit before getting involved. I'll fire 4 outright bullets though on the various top batsmen markets. 1pt ew I.Bell Top Division 1 Runscorer 16/1 Blue Square (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) I could be doing my dosh here but I'm backing Michael Vaughan too and they can't both play for England this year with only Owais Shah's spot seemingly up for grabs. In fact it's quite possible neither will play for England this summer and if they don't then the 16/1 on Ian Bell is very big. On his day he's the classiest batsman in the country and when he came back to county cricket in among a bad trot last summer he scored a massive double century. That was in Division 2 but he's shown on the international stage that he's more than good enough for this level. He's out of touch at the minute but it'll only take a decent knock to get him going again and given that he has the advantage of opening the season at Taunton that knock may come straight away. 16/1 is big if he plays the whole season but even if he doesn't I can't see him playing against the Windies so he should get a decent run and can fill his boots. 1pt ew M.Vaughan Top Division 1 Runscorer 33/1 Blue Square (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) If Ian Bell was a big price, Michael Vaughan is a silly price. When he's moving his feet there's still no better English batsman and if England decide not to use Vaughan's talents this summer then this price will look massive come September. I think if Vaughan is in among the runs then he'll get back into the England side but again, I can't see it being against the Windies. There's 7 Championship matches for Yorkshire before The Ashes and with him not playing one day cricket anymore he'll probably play the last 3-4 games too so even if he gets called up for England he could still play double figures in terms of games. 1000 runs tends to be enough to place in this market and Vaughan's more than capable of that much in 10/11 games. He started pre season really well with the bat hitting a century in Dubai and at 33/1 I'll have a dabble on Vaughan. 1pt N.Pothas Top Hampshire Batsman 6/1 Blue Square I missed out on a bigger price than this but I'm still happy with 6/1. Nic Pothas has been a mainstay of this Hampshire batting lineup for a number of years and you'd have to say this top 5 is very weak looking but as so often is the case, Pothas, Mascarenhas and the lower order rescue them. Pothas was Hampshire's leading scorer in this competition last season with 963 runs which included 3 centuries. He beat the recently departed Michael Brown by 23 runs with Michael Lumb a further 122 runs back despite playing 2 more matches than Pothas. The South African born keeper is a very solid batsman and even though there's John Crawley to contend with this season at 6/1 Pothas is well worth taking to top score for the Hawks in first class cricket this season. 2pts M.Wagh Top Nottinghamshire Batsman 3/1 Blue Square Mark Wagh is a top notch batsman and it was only a knee injury which stopped him being a regular in the England side, that's how good he is. He's over his knee injury now in terms of batting and he scores runs for fun. Once he's in he's a pain to get out. The former Warwickshire batsman has gone past 1000 runs in the last two seasons and has the potential to do so again. Samit Patel rates as the main danger but he's likely to be away with England at some point in the summer. Wagh is a real run machine and I think he'll top score for the Outlaws this season.

Wednesday 15 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Hampshire v Worcestershire (11:00BST)1.642.50100.98 %Details »
Hide « Hampshire v Worcestershire
Somerset v Warwickshire (11:00BST)1.662.50100.00 %Details »
I'll go with one outright for the opening week. Predictably rain is forecast but we'll have a go as these games are DNB. 3pts Warwickshire to beat Somerset (DNB) 6/4 Boylesports Warwickshire come here for their 1st game back in the top flight having won the Division 2 title last season. Tim Ambrose will skipper the Bears in this game as regular captain Ian Westwood is injured. Warwickshire will have Ian Bell in their line up and they'll be alongside Jon Trott and Darren Maddy in a solid looking batting lineup. Rikki Clarke and Ant Botha are both solid down the order and in Chris Woakes, a very exciting talent, Jimmy Anyon and Neil Carter, the Bears have a competant pace attack. It's the pace attack where I worry for Somerset. Caddick is out injured so their attack will be led by Turner and Willoughby with Phillips backing them up. Arul Suppiah will open the batting alongside Trescothick and Omari Banks comes into the side as Somerset play 2 spinners. Justin Langer is in Taunton and will skipper the side. Somerset didn't have the best pre-season and have a weak looking batting lineup, Trescothick and Langer aside. Hildreth is very talented by was poor last season. Ashley Giles has knitted Warks into a decent outfit and they're good value to win this one.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Should be a big summer of cricket in this country and here are a quite few outrights top start with. Im not really one for getting too involved with the matches but will do so a bit more this season from time to time. Just a bit of a shame there are not more bookies offering prices on some outright markets. Nonetheless GL to all this season. Here are just some general thoughts on the first divison: I like durham and have explained why below. I feel their rivals have a few question marks. Notts have a strong looking squad even with losing eng players however they have a bit of history in recent years of blowing things from strong positions even though they did get one title a few years back. Also their batsman haven’t always delivered in recent times consistently. They are the strongest rival though imo. Sussex could see Joyce as a good addition if the fresh air brings out the quality he had a couple of years back. However they are no longer going to find 20 wickets easy to come from without mushy and this could be their downfall. Hampshire I always feel are a batsman or two short and quite how easy they will find wickets until Tahir appears, presuming he will, Im not sure about. Cork I definitely don’t see as the answer now in the 4 day format and all he will do for me is just strengthen their traditionally strong tail. Yorkshire need some of their younger batsmen to progress otherwise I feel they are just one batsman short still even though Mcgrath, Rudolph and Vaughan potentially provide a core trio. Also may just need a little bit more of a quick firepower option with the new ball. Somerset depend a lot on their big two batsman and whilst they along could make them tough to beat, wickets look like being a problem once again. Also not really replacing Blackwell means there is pressure on their middle order. Warwickshire interest me more of the promotion two and have an ok set of 5/6 batsmen but they really need a couple more of their talked of young bowlers to progress and prove a wicket taking option at this level. Worcester look a batsman short without Hick and whilst their bowling isn’t that bad, if not too dependent on the under rated at this level Ali and jones’ injury status, they are probably still one short in that department too and may struggle. Have highlighted what I thought of lancs below. Durham 7/2 sky 10 pts Durham are defending champions in this and could follow up. In what was a tight championship last year for many months, Durham’s ability to get wins at a crucial time proved decisive and unlike so many teams in this division, they have a strong bowling unit that take 20 wickets to win games and also a batting line up strong enough to score runs. Di Venuto, Benkenstein, Chanderpaul when he arrives even though he didn’t actually fire until late on last season and yet durham still won the title, Blackwell who is a very useful arrival and new captain Smith who averaged over 50 last year. Harmison, with a point to prove again, is likely to lead the attack and Davies has been supremely impressive with his wicket taking record in recent times. Thorp is solid and whilst Plunkett and Onions need to up their levels of an consistent basis there is still enough in durham to take wickets on a consistent basis. It could be another good season for Durham. Lancashire to finish bottom 9/1 sj e.w 1/3 odds 2 places I worry about Lancashire. They have Moores as their new coach but they looked a county in a bit of disarray at the end of last season and Im not sure if their clear out policy of a couple of the main stars will help them. In the end they just survived last season but for me go into this season without their best player. Law was a very consistent run scorer for lancs and even though wasn’t as successful in his last season, only Horton scored more runs and Im not sure lancs have really replaced Law. Prince and Laxman will share overseas duty which is a help and Horton is an opener I rate but after that their batting has holes imo. Loye really struggled last year, Chilton has never impressed me and then onus from then on is on unproven players at this level to score lots of runs which last year they didn’t, outside Law and Horton no one averaged over 35 or scored 600 runs tells a story with their batting. Their bowling on paper isn’t that bad but then again there are a few players in their line up still with the odd point to prove. Chapple, Keedy will be solid enough but someone like Mahmood still has to consistently up his level, last year I still thought he was far too erratic. Overall I think Lancashire are a fair price here effectively to go down imo. Horton top div 1 run scorer 33/1 sj 2 pts e.w 5 places and top Lancashire run scorer 3/1 bluesq 10 pts Horton was one of the few Lancs batsman to actually perform last season. He averaged 42 in the championship and fell just short of 1000 rusn which in the context of the whole division is only ok but in relation to his team mates last season was a fine effort. Also it should be remembered that a lot of his opportunities were restricted by the weather otherwise he would surely have got 1000 runs. It was a good follow up from Horton after a good 2007 where he averaged virtually 50 and did get over 1000 runs in just 13 games. He is not really a player in England consideration so he should play lots of games and could score some runs. Ambrose top run scorer 150/1 bluesq 2 pts e.w 5 places and top Warwickshire run scorer 9/1 bluesq 5 pts Bit more of a long shot this one but Ambrose should be seen a lot more by his county this season and if he could replicate his 2007 form where he was an ever present, then he is not the worst long shot for both markets. In 2007 where Ambrose made a major breakthrough he was the top Warwickshire bat with an average of over 45 and just short of 900 runs. Arguably he is an even better player now given that he has experienced more cricket and at a higher standard and even though Bell and trott especially are dangerous in this market, it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if Ambrose outscored them. M.Davies top div 1 wicket taker 28/1 pp 2 pts e.w 4 places Davies had a phenomenal 2008 when he played last year. He wasn’t always first choice which says a lot for Durhams attack but when he did play, he was pivotal in getting Durham the championship. He took 39 wickets in 11 games at an unreal average of just 15. Its not the first time he has had brilliant spurts of form in a season, in 2004 and 2005 he had around the 50 wicket mark in both those seasons at averages of 18 and lower before injury struck. Overall in his career he has taken over 230 wickets at an average of 21 and yet he doesn’t seem to even get talked much in regard to England which is a boost for this selection. Clearly fitness can be an issue but with the odd wicket perhaps doing a bit up north he could have another good season.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Just to clarify lancs to be bottom is 5 pts e.w. One for the opening set of matches although weather could stop this one getting off the ground. Warwickshire 6/4 boy DNB 10 pts Feel the div 1 newcomers are over priced here. Somerset have two of the classiest bats in the divsion but after their big two their batting is a bit hit and miss sometimes. In contrast the bears have a reasonably solid looking batting line up, perhaps without somerset's big names but guys like maddy, bell with a point to prove, trott, ambrose etc provide more substance. Bowling wise these two are similar in that they arguably lack in that department but the bears' attack is younger and on the upgrade, Woakes had a really promising year last year and overall I dont quite see the difference betweem the teams here hence the pick.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Happy with where I'm sat after the 1st day here. Bell is 80 odd not out and has an early chance to fill his boots and his side are in a decent enough position although it's a shame the weather got in the way a bit.

Tuesday 21 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Nottinghamshire v Worcestershire (11:00BST)1.532.75101.58 %Details »
Hide « Nottinghamshire v Worcestershire
Sussex v Lancashire (11:00BST)2.201.80101.01 %Details »
Hide « Sussex v Lancashire
Wednesday 22 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Durham v Yorkshire (11:00BST)1.612.50101.90 %Details »
Hide « Durham v Yorkshire
Warwickshire v Hampshire (11:00BST)2.101.90100.00 %Details »
Nothing in tomorrow's matches for me. Sussex do tempt me though and I might get on in running if the chance is there. I'll be back tomorrow with Wednesday's thoughts.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Sussex DNB 6/5 spo 10 pts I spoke a bit of what I thought about Lancs in my outright post. They were a side who didnt survive by much last season and have lost one of their main run scorers from that team too. In Horton and Prince they have a couple of keys batsmen here but after that resources seem to lack a little bit. Their bowling looks fairly decent for this especially with anderson likely to play and thats important but I still think the quality of their batting is missing the odd player. Sussex also have an england player playing in Prior and thats a real help. Along with the formidable Goodwin, new signing Joyce and new captain Yardy, thats the basis of a fair batting line up. Their bowling attack isnt as strong as lancs but Im still happy enough to go for them at odds against and hope for a result here.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Just the one for me tomorrow. 3pts Yorkshire to beat Durham (DNB) 6/4 Stan James Yorkshire go to the Riverside for this division one clash knowing they beat the same opponents here on Sunday in the Friends Provident Trophy. This will be Durham's 1st match in the defence of their title but their side isn't as strong as last year's one. It does however include Steve Harmison. However, how accurate he'll be is open to debate. It's the batting that is the problem for me. Gordon Muchall will be playing and Mark Stoneman could be opening. 2 fairly weak links there as is the lack of a real spinner despite pitches historically not turning too much here. Mark Davies, possibly Durham's best wicket taking threat is not in the squad. Yorkshire will have plenty of eyes on them this week as Michael Vaughan takes his place in their lineup. He'll open with Joe Sayers with the likes of Jacques Rudolph and Anthony McGrath in the middle order. There's no Rana Naved yet but Matthew Hoggard will play and Deon Kruis will share the new ball with him. Adil Rashid will be in the side too which could be key with the weather forecast how it is. These two are both good sides but Durham are missing one or two at the minute. Yorkshire are pretty much at full strength and I think their batting lineup can edge this one.

Tuesday 28 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Somerset v Durham (11:00BST)2.251.72102.34 %Details »
Hide « Somerset v Durham
Yorkshire v Worcestershire (11:00BST)1.582.50103.29 %Details »
Hide « Yorkshire v Worcestershire
Wednesday 29 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Lancashire v Nottinghamshire (10:00BST)2.201.83100.00 %Details »
Hide « Lancashire v Nottinghamshire
Hampshire v Sussex (11:00BST)1.612.37104.01 %Details »
Nothing match wise for me tomorrow but I'll take a top bat bet in the TV game. 1pt ew I.Blackwell Top Somerset Batsman (1st Inns Only) 13/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Ian Blackwell should know every inch of this Taunton wicket having played here for Somerset for so long before moving to Durham for this season. He comes into this match in decent nick too having scored a ton against the MCC in the season's opener and then followed that up with 95 in his Championship debut last week. This match could be similar to the MCC game in that it looks certain to be rain affected which means Blackwell's big scoring game could be used to set up a declaration. Nobody in this Durham lineup can match Blackwell for power and on this tiny ground if he gets in he could fill his boots and looks a value call at 13/2 in a batting lineup which is still missing one or two.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 I am always hopeful of some decent value in the Top Bat market on the rare occassions there is a Championship game on Sky and I have not been disappointed. There is 1 huge rick: 3pts win Top Durham Bat: Gareth BREESE 25/1 (365, Ladbrokes) This price is all wrong. Firstly, let's be clear that its doubtful if Breese will play. He has not played yet this season but is in the squad. Plunkett is away with the Lions, leaving at least one spot up for grabs. Mitchell Claydon seems likely to get the nod according to the team news I have read, but I'm sure Durham will want a second spinner for Taunton so Breese may take that spot or instead come in for Stoneman or Muchall who are definitely the weak links in the side. Obviously if Breese does not play its money back, if he does then great and heres why: Breese is definitely a decent batsman and he loves a southern flat track - he got a century at Canterbury in the last game of last season, and his finest career moment was a brilliant 150 at Taunton a few years back when Durham chased down 450. He should be more like 9s or 10s, so Im definitely getting involved and hoping he plays and the rain stays away long enough for him to deliver the goods! I'm also having 2 other top bat bets: 2 points each-way Top Durham Bat: Ian BLACKWELL (13/2) Coral He is having a cracking start to the season and knows the ground very well. How Stoneman and Muchall are shorter in the betting I just do not know and with those 2 around I fancy Blackwell for a place at least, and its a good price on offer from several firms and a bit of insurance if my Breese bet does not go as envisaged 1 point each way Top Somerset Bat: Peter TREGO (16/1) Coral Again, simply looks too big. Although its so flat at Taunton Durham have a top opening bowling combination that could take a few relatively early wickets giving Trego a chance to whack a decent score. Pretty sure it was he who took a liking to the Durham attack at the Riverside last year and at this price its worth chancing a repeat

Wednesday 6 May 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Nottinghamshire v Somerset (11:00BST)1.672.37101.99 %Details »
Hide « Nottinghamshire v Somerset
Sussex v Durham (11:00BST)2.371.7399.91 %Details »
Hide « Sussex v Durham
Warwickshire v Yorkshire (11:00BST)2.002.0299.50 %Details »
Hide « Warwickshire v Yorkshire
Worcestershire v Lancashire (11:00BST)2.501.6799.88 %Details »

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 2 for me this week. 3pts Warwickshire to beat Yorkshire (DNB) Evs Bet365 This looks like a tight game on paper but I like Warwickshire's all round side a lot better. Both sides have drawn their 1st two matches in the Championship this season but Warwickshire have done it with an absolute stack of runs while Yorkshire hung on for a draw against Durham and rain ruined the game with Worcestershire. Warwickshire will be without Darren Maddy who was ruled out for the season with a cruciate ligament injury. Ian Westwood returns to skipper the side. Ian Bell also returns after playing for England Lions last week, along with Chris Woakes who starred in that match. Tim Ambrose was another star in that game and he gets the gloves back here. Yorkshire's batting lineup is at least a batsman too light. I'm not a fan of Adil Rashid at 6, I think he's more a 7 but with Brophy at 5 and Shahzad likely to bat 7, the White Rose side have a very long tail. So much depends on their main 3, McGrath, Rudolph and Vaughan with the bat. With the ball, Yorkshire have a very strong bowling lineup but they'll need it against a very strong batting team in Warwickshire. Yorkshire's batting lineup can keep them in 50 over matches but to me it looks at least a quality batsman light. Warwickshire are scoring for fun at the minute and I think they'll get enough to win this one. 4pts Lancashire to beat Worcestershire (DNB) 4/6 Ladbrokes Lancashire have made an excellent start to their season. They've won 3 out of 3 FP Trophy matches and have a win and a draw to their names in the Championship. Worcestershire have started well in the FP but lost their opening 2 matches in the Championship before Yorkshire held them in a rain affected match. Worcestershire are another who are a batsman light for me but unlike Yorkshire they don't have a strong bowling attack to make up for it. Vikram Solanki is in excellent touch with the bat as is Steven Davies while Ashley Noffke and Gareth Batty are going ok with the ball but their batting lacks quality and depth and their bowling attack is generally weak for this level. Lancashire have a strong side at the minute and it's a well balanced side. Ashwell Prince bulks up the batting lineup in which Paul Horton and Mark Chilton are in good form. Francois du Plessis and Steven Croft usually provide solid contributions. There's no Jimmy Anderson in this match but Sajid Mahmood returns to the pace attack alongside Tom Smith and Kyle Hogg. Gary Keedy is one of the better spinners around which will be vital at New Rd. You rarely get any value on Lancashire with the bookmakers and 4/6 isn't exceptional value but I do think they'll win and I think they have the potential to win this a touch comfortably so I don't mind taking the 4/6 on Lancashire.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Lancashire were easy winners over Worcestershire while Warwickshire and Yorkshire drew. +2.67pts this week so +0.67 overall. County Championship cricket takes a back seat for a few weeks for the FP and 1st twenty20 legs of the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Championship cricket is back from tomorrow and it's brought the bad weather out :sad.

Saturday 6 June 2009HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gifDurham v Hampshire (11:00 BST) 3 1.72 4 116.47 %
maximize.gifLancashire v Somerset (11:00 BST) 2.32 1.02 3.25 171.91 %
maximize.gifWarwickshire v Nottinghamshire (11:00 BST) 3.45 1.31 2.62 143.49 %
maximize.gifYorkshire v Sussex (11:00 BST) 1.97 1.07 3.5 172.79 %
Just the one for me if it survives the bad weather. 3pts Hampshire to beat Durham (DNB) 5/4 Skybet Hampshire have been playing some excellent cricket this season and they'll go to the Riverside full of confidence. Durham have been very hit and miss this season and although Onions and Harmison are in their squad they've struggled to see sides off with the ball so far, the Somerset game being a prime example. Hampshire are buzzing with the bat at the minute with all their batsmen scoring runs in the one day cricket they've played since the last game and with Tahir now in tow they will be very strong with the ball. Hampshire are without Mascarenhas but they have learned to get used to that. The Hawks did the double over Durham last year and I believe if the weather allows it, we'll get the hat trick here.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Hampshire were awful last week :sad. -2.33 overall now.

Thursday 11 June 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifDurham v Lancashire (11:00 BST)1.722.22102.94 %
maximize.gifHampshire v Nottinghamshire (11:00 BST)2.11.83102.16 %
maximize.gifWorcestershire v Sussex (11:00 BST)2.21.66105.45 %
maximize.gifYorkshire v Somerset (11:00 BST)21.85104.05 %
I'll come back in the morning with bets in this division once I've slept on a couple.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 3 for me today. Just lost a big writeup on Hampshire so I'll keep that one brief.

3pts Hampshire to beat Nottinghamshire (DNB) 11/10 Bet365

Hampshire cost me last week but that can happen at the Riverside against that Durham attack particularly when the toss goes against you on a rainy day. Both sides will be unchanged from last week which means Notts will have to face Imran Tahir after he spub Hampshire to victory at Notts on the last day of the season to deny them the title. Hampshire have beaten Notts twice in the FP Trophy this season and are becoming something of a bogey team for the Outlaws. The Hawks play good cricket at the Rose Bowl and I think they’ll take this one.

4pts Sussex to beat Worcestershire (DNB) 4/6 Stan James

Sussex are having a good season in the one day versions of the game and they nearly picked up a 4 day win last week when they just narrowly failed to chase down a total against Yorkshire in a thrilling encounter. Worcestershire are still acclimatising to life in Division 1 but as I said in my preview for the season I believe they’ll be the whipping boys of the division. Sussex have a decent looking outfit in the 4 day game, even without Luke Wright and Yasir Arafat who are away with their countries. Matt Prior has been given permission to play in this game and he’ll go into a very strong looking batting lineup alongside Ed Joyce, Murray Goodwin and the skipper Michael Yardy. Dwayne Smith isn’t known for his longer version ability but he has the talent to go well. With the ball, Corey Collymore and James Kirtley will take wickets and Robin Martin-Jenkins will back them up. Ollie Rayner and Michael Yardy will spin it later in the match. Worcestershire welcome back Kabir Ali which is a huge boost as he’s one of the better performers in the country still but for me their batting lacks quality and substance. Daryl Mitchell and Stephen Moore are ok openers but nothing special. Solanki adds genuine international quality at number 3 but then the batting dies although Steven Davies has shown he can wield the willow in the past. Ali and Noffke will form a decent new ball partnership and Gareth Batty is always dangerous but as I said before Worcestershire appear to lack depth to their batting and their bowling. Sussex are on a roll and are the stronger of the two sides here and I think they’ll run out winners assuming the weather doesn’t get involved.

3pts Yorkshire to beat Somerset (DNB) 11/10 Boylesports

Yorkshire’s season hasn’t really kicked off yet which is surprising because on paper they are a decent outfit. Somerset have played very well in the one day forms of the game but as always with Somerset when you take them away from Taunton they tend to struggle and I can see the same thing happening again this week. Yorkshire will be without Adil Rashid who is with England but the infamous Azeem Rafiq slotted into his place nicely last week. Michael Vaughan will also miss the game with injury but Yorkshire still have enough talent in their side to win championship matches. Gerard Brophy strengthens the depth of their batting and Tim Bresnan and Rana Naved can both add useful contributions down the bottom of the order with Jacques Rudolph and Anthony McGrath solid at the top alongside the durable Joe Sayers. Matthew Hoggard could return in this game and that would boost the Yorkshire attack who could go in with 4 international seamers. Somerset’s strength is in their batting but as I hinted at earlier, it isn’t anything like as good away from Taunton. Justin Langer and Marcus Trescothick are both class performers anywhere and Craig Kieswetter is having a lucrative season with the bat but the rest are all talented but don’t tend to produce the goods away from Taunton. With the ball, if it doesn’t swing for Charl Willoughby then they are in trouble. Ben Phillips is a decent bowler at this level but without Caddick this Somerset attack is always going to struggle to take 20 wickets. Yorkshire have home advantage here and I believe the stronger all round side. Odds against is probably based on Somerset’s one day reputation more than anything which is fine with me so I’ll take the Carnegie lot to win this.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Havent been in this division much and currently -10 in it. One for this weeks lot of fixtures but from an outright perspective I wouldnt mind if Durham keep winning: Nottinghamshire to beat Lancashire 8/11 sj (DNB) 10 pts. Both these sides have made good enough starts to their county campaigns but both suffer from call ups here. However Lancashire are suffering from not just international call ups in the shape of Anderson, Flintoff and Mahmood but also with injuries in the shape of Smith and very importantly Du Plessis. The absence of the FDP really is a blow for Lancs' batting and suddenly they are very dependent on the likes of Horton and Laxman. Notts have call ups too but crucially Sidebottom should be available and they also have D.Hussey to bolster the batting line up. Notts just have the extra edge in this game for me and I can see them being the team to force a result if there is one.

Tuesday 30 June 2009HomeAwayBPP
maximize.gifDurham v Worcestershire (11:00 BST)1.363.75100.00 %
maximize.gifNottinghamshire v Lancashire (11:00 BST)1.722.2103.35 %
maximize.gifSomerset v Yorkshire (11:00 BST)1.52.75103.03 %
I come into this round of matches -5.66 but with the weather a lot better now hopefully we can make some decent dosh again. One for me this week though unless we get an in running opportunity in the other games. 3pts Nottinghamshire to beat Lancashire (DNB) 8/11 Bet365 Nottinghamshire come into this match undefeated and with an outside chance of going top with a win here should Durham slip up against Worcestershire. Lancashire have lost 2 of their 6 matches so far and sit in mid table but a defeat here could see them looking over their shoulders as we approach the half way point of the season. Nottinghamshire have named a very strong squad for this match. Their batting lineup, spearheaded by David Hussey's return looks very strong with the likes of Patel and Wagh very good players at this level. Their bowling attack isn't shabby either with the likes of Pattinson and Sidebottom both test match bowlers in the last 12 months and Charlie Shreck back too. Lancashire have had to rejig a bit from their defeat to Hampshire. VVS Laxman came in for that game having replaced Ashwell Prince while the likes of Andrew Flintoff and Sajid Mahmood - 2 king pins to the bowling attack - are now on international duty. Francois du Plessis is out with injury as well so Lancashire are looking a bit patched up and a bit weak in the bowling department. Lancashire haven't gone well with the bat in recent times. They've not made 300 in any innings of their last 3 matches and you don't win matches like that. Notts are going well with the bat and the ball and they look the far stronger side in this match and I'll take them to win here.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 I backed Durham in a treble the other 2 had obliged this afternoon in the tennis and I was counting my money when I saw Worcestershire all out for 193, then Durham manage to be 1/3! They should still be able to get that 193 or at least near it though.Fingers crossed!

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 They've got up to Worcester's total which was a decent effort from the lower order it has to be said. Big day for Durham today as you'd think today would be the day the match is as good as decided. If Worcester can put 200-220 on the board with Kabir in decent touch that will be hard to fetch. Equally though, Worcester without their main 3 could easily be all out for 100. Meanwhile, Notts hold the upper hand over Lancashire, but with rain sweeping the country tomorrow they need to crack on with things today.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 1 Yh they could of easily ended up all out for a lot less than that. Kev I backed Durham at 4/11 with Ladbrokes - that is DNB I presume as they didn't quote a draw price? Thanks again