form guide + ELO ratings

• 2 weeks later...

Re: form guide + ELO ratings strugglin with excel soz it takin awhile but ive only managed to finish my prem table ok ive only done the spurs cheslea game as a back test so far but i started on the prem for the 4th apr arsnal v man city

ELO%22.7236.2041.09
i would think most stats or sights would have this as a home win im in the prosses of making a goal predictor using poisson hope to get it done soon see how they compare bolton v boro
ELO%24.3346.6029.07
probly go for 0-0 poss 1-1 here this was the spurs chelsea game
ELO%32.2841.4526.27

Re: form guide + ELO ratings i was askin a1e bout this as i thought it did quite well at predicting draws but once ive found away to back test it properly i,ll post the results up if i test 20 matches would i add the % up for the home column an divide by 20 the the same with the x an 2 ? i aint got a clue as to find out how well or poor it does at predicting games

Re: form guide + ELO ratings really need to brush up on my excel premierships sorted in middle ov copyin an pasting for the championship stopped that to see if i could then link it up to my calc :wallhate vlookup at the mo (oh for any would be programmers dont leave a space at the end of a teams name) so wonted to find a site i was on that had a excel sheet for predicting goals which ive added to my calc (see last post) great i thought bookmarked an went to bed got up this mornin an me bookmark aint worked gutted as it had the formula for forcasting the home draw away percentages from goal averages the only 1 i copyed was for the draw(=(G8*G10+H8*H10+I8*I10+J8*J10)/100 which gave "27% for the blackburn game ive played around with it all day an cant get it to work out home an away ive used a calc on another forum which gives 30.0% - 27.4% - 42.6% the closest ive got to that is using=(100-C23)/2 for the home an =(100-C23)-30 for the away testing it on other games dont quite work but i got this for the bburn game

GF%36.3527.3042.70
is thier a better way of doing this on excel cause mooching round google i cant find out but i did find this http://innovexpo.itee.uq.edu.au/2001/projects/s348234/thesis.pdf you dont have to download the pdf it opens in your browser wasted on me but thought id share it as someone might be able to use it back to google see if i can find that link :(:sad

Re: form guide + ELO ratings it never ends:wall managed to get my calc to link up to my prem table woo hoo :nana great got a validation list with the prem teams in an when you drop it down an pick a team the total game,s +total home+away all update in a blink of an eye phew (started this xmas) also goals for average then i get down to my last 6 game,s an last 6 home an away dont have them in my table:@:cryhow do i get vlookup to do this ???? im using footballdata site to update from so its all in excel under these headings

DateHomeTeamAwayTeamFTHGFTAG
goin to check youtube out again :eek:lol can VL do this by date as i rekon thats how i,d have to do it? take care SC

Re: form guide + ELO ratings

DateHomeTeamAwayTeamFTHGFTAG FTR
9.8.08BirminghamSheffield United10 H
9.8.08BlackpoolBristol City01 A
9.8.08CardiffSouthampton21 H
9.8.08CharltonSwansea20 H
not sure which column to use the date starts in AR with FTR in AW but should i be using the home column and the away?

Re: form guide + ELO ratings hmm just spent the last 20mins rightin up a report on the champ game (not that my 1st effort did any good:loon) for tuesday night an the dam thing had booted me out anyway i've gone for sheff utd 1 watford 1 palace X thanks again for that muppet but i've chopped an change my sheet's to many time's over the last few weeks so im going to have to re-design them again so it works properly wait till season over

Re: form guide + ELO ratings forgot to add my betting plan sorry i will be picking 3 yankee's home away draw keeping the stake low proberly between .10p-.30p my picks are the shaded bit in the team names last weeks results (soz b4 games played in future) 04.Apr 2009 10:22 595/539 0.25 W Yankee Match Betting Chesterfield 2.10 Lost Cheltenham v Leyton Orient : Match Betting Leyton Orient 2.50 Won Colchester v Leeds : Match Betting Leeds 2.25 Won Oldham v Peterborough : Match Betting Peterborough 2.38 Won £2.75 return £7.58 QPR v Crystal Palace : Match Betting Qpr 2.25 Lost Won 2.75 return 0.80 Bolton v Middlesbrough : Match Betting Bolton 2.05 Won MK Dons v Brighton : Match Betting Mk Dons 1.57 Won Gillingham v Barnet : Match Betting Gillingham 1.67 Lost Patent Blackburn v Tottenham : Match Betting Draw 3.20 Lost Won 3.50 return 1.65 Hull v Portsmouth : Match Betting Draw 3.30 Won Southampton v Charlton : Match Betting Draw 3.50 Lost once i find a better way to tidy this up it will look better honest dont know why i did a patent 4 the draws but it will be all yankees from now on :hope

Re: form guide + ELO ratings Crewe v Hartlepool : Match Betting Crewe 2.25 Stoke City v Newcastle : Match Betting Stoke City 2.38 Open Chester v Macclesfield : Match Betting Chester 2.38 Open Leeds v Stockport : Match Betting Leeds 1.50 Open £0.25 £2.75 return £20.83 Middlesbrough v Hull City : Match Betting Draw 3.30 Open Open Crystal Palace v Cardiff City : Match Betting Draw 3.30 Open Sheff Wed v Derby : Match Betting Draw 3.30 Open Brentford v Exeter : Match Betting Draw 3.25 Open £0.25 £2.75 return £80.33 Barnet v Bournemouth : Match Betting Bournemouth 2.75 Open Walsall v Tranmere : Match Betting Tranmere 2.50 Open Hereford v Leicester : Match Betting Leicester 1.62 Open Charlton v Birmingham : Match Betting Birmingham 2.00 Open £0.25 £2.75 return £23.32 :hope

• 6 months later...

Re: form guide + ELO ratings

Here's what my rolling ratings show: Arsenal - City: 1467.11; 1278.07; 84.08% Bolton - Boro: 1215.70; 1169.70; 69.86% Both fairly tight games. Arsenal getting the edge overall with Bolton an outside chance.
How are you calculating the percentage chance for a home win from the ratings? Thanks! :-) -SilkBC *EDIT* Never mind, i saw another thread of yours, and it seems you calculate the "Win Expectancy" thusly: dr = (sRating1 + 100) - sRating2 We = 1 / (1 + 10^(-dr / 400)) I confirmed it spits out the same results, so thanks! :-)