Drunkenness at the races

Seems to be in the news quite regularly lately:

SIX days on from a fracas at Sandown, another Group 1 raceday was marred by violence as a fight broke out in the Premier Enclosure on July Cup day at Newmarket. After the fifth race, around half a dozen racegoers were involved in a punch-up outside the Chief Singer bar, an incident which was quelled by security staff. “An old man had a bottle of champagne nicked by a young man, who then took the mickey out of him and that sparked it off,†said Newmarket managing director Stephen Wallis. “The response from our security team wasinstant and quelled it as quickly as they could to minimise ruining other racegoers' day. “The sad thing is that this is one incident in a wonderful three days when racing and style have overcome the elements.â€
Fights and fornication Less than a week after Coral-Eclipse day at Sandown was marred by a post-racing brawl, another fracas broke out on the final day of the July meeting after an argument spilled over into an unsavoury fight. Of course, it is worth emphasising that the vast majority of racegoers are appalled by such anti-social behaviour, but it was not the only incident noted by Tattenham Corner at Newmarket during the week. First, an amorous couple caused lengthy and unamused queues for the disabled toilet when letting their passions take control and then provided a running commentary for those waiting outside. Later, a young lady took it upon herself to simulate an act upon the statue of the Newmarket Stallion situated on the roundabout outside the racecourse before being removed from the scene by her friends.
I know some people complain about racing becoming too family orientated rather than being for the racing enthusiast but I'd rather try attract families than stag and hen parties and pissed up chavs. Yesterday at York I went into the cheap £5 section opposite the grandstand because we had the baby with us, there was no point going into a packed grandstand and going backwards and forwards from parade ring to betting ring. In this cheaper section you can wear whatever you want and also bring in your own food and drink. There were groups of lads just getting shitfaced all afternoon, one group had a shopping trolley with them full of beer. If they just get drunk and have a good time it's not a problem but with the excessive alcohol seems to come violence. I know many blame the courses but surely there has to be some individual responsibility too. It's a totally different atmosphere in that part of the course, chavs in tracksuits, stag parties, hen parties, people swigging cans of Fosters, women drinking from bottles of Lambrini and many having no interest in the racing at all. Yesterday my brother was picking up some winnings when he heard a cheer from a group of drunks, he thought some slapper had got her tits out but when he got closer to them he saw a woman with her stilletto in her hand belting the fcuk out of some bloke until others jumped in and stopped her. There was litter everywhere, the place looked like a right shithole. We're never going to ban alcohol from the races and it would be unfair on anyone who likes a drink and can behave themselves. On the opposite end of the scale there was a group of people with a guitar singing Hey Jude, all steaming drunk but enjoying themselves and harming no-one. What can be done to stop this anti social behaviour, you might expect to see it in a town centre on a Saturday night but it has no place at the races. :(

Re: Drunkenness at the races I've gone on trips to Chepstow and Newbury with people of all ages and it's most obvious that a large proportion of them have no interest in racing and just want to get shitfaced. If that's the case I don't why they just don't fcuk off on a pub crawl when they get off the bus.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.