Poisson Model

Anyone got any views on using the poisson model for predicting 1X2 for football matches. Do you think it's a profitable way to go Do you use it yourself How about a modified version All thoughts both positive and negative most welcome

Re: Poisson Model Pardon my limited knowledge of Poisson´s Distribution, but I understood it expresses the probability of a number of events occuring in a fixed period of time if these events occur with a known average rate and independent of time since the last event (with acknowledgement to Wikipedia:clap). I don´t see how this theory can be "adjusted" to take into account relative strengths of teams and other dependable variables that affect the result of a football match. But I'm sure the "statisticians" among us will correct me! Perhaps it´s a case of one man´s poison is another man´s.... (joke) :ok

Poisson Thanks muppet77 have had a look throuh the threads, interesting read. Did you abandon the idea or improve upon it. The reason for asking is I have spent the last couple of years or so playing with differnt ideas and have come up with a model which will hopefully bear fruit. A few stats I have collected since the 4th March to date; 180 Fixtures rated: - a small sample I know! Using the poisson model to predict Homes and Aways (Average 63%) Using same model to predict Just Homes (Average 64%) Using same model to predict - Just Aways (Average 56%) Actual Results : Homes and Aways - 62% Homes - (63%) Aways - (58%) Another interesting point if i had placed 1 unit on each game without taking in to account Exchange commission I would have lost 1.8 units which is exactly ROI -1% So it seems to me that for the moment at least the model is predicting the games with some accuracy and secondly overall so are the Bookies/Exchanges. However that is overall, amongst the selections there are a reasonable amount of value bets according to the model and these are the ones of interest. A couple of points: The model is only inteseted in the outcome of games from leagues that fit the model this is dynamic - No Italian A or B games at the moment, for example. All selections must have a predictive percentage of at least 50% There also many filters in place which ignore certain fixtures: Like no games are rated that have a cup game coming up within 7 days that kind of thing. Anyway enough rambling, just thought I would add to the debate. Good luck with your own betting. Protop

Re: Poisson Model i sacked it off after it produced unexciting results. i remember discussing the fact that it underestimates the 1-1 score and also treats goals as separate discrete events/probabilities. in truth a team that goes 3-0 up works less hard trying to score than when it was 0-0. this is one issue.