2008 Boat Race

2008 Boat Race Crews Announced
Oxford and Cambridge today unveiled their line-ups to contest this year’s Boat Race, sponsored by Xchanging, which will take place on 29 March at 17:15. The announcement came at the 2008 National Junior Indoor Rowing Championships (NJIRC) at the Evolution Centre in London’s Battersea Park at which Oxford President Nick Brodie, representing last year’s losers, challenged Cambridge President, Dan O’Shaughnessy, to a re-match in a tradition dating back to 1829. Cambridge Head Coach Duncan Holland then broke with tradition to reveal a crew of nine rather than eight, plus cox Rebecca Dowbiggin. Londoner Tobias Garnett and Bartosz Szczyrba from Poland are still competing for the number 4 seat in the Light Blue boat. Rebecca will be looking to make history by becoming the first female Cambridge cox to win two consecutive Boat Races after steering Cambridge to a 1¼-length victory last year. She is joined by four other British crew members – Peter Marsland, Tom Ransley, Henry Pelly and Colin Scott. Australians Tim Perkins and Tom Edwards have taken the 2 and 7 seats respectively, while American Shane O’Mara is at stroke. President Dan O’Shaughnessy will row in the Goldie boat. Speaking of his 2008 line-up, Duncan Holland said: “This year’s crew is younger, lighter and less experienced than last year. I expect Oxford will be the favourites. We’re happy with that and will just have to row better to win.†Sean Bowden, the Head Coach at Oxford, has chosen a primarily international crew for this year’s Race. Four Americans, Australian Toby Medaris and German Jan Herzog to make up the Blue boat along with three Oxford competitors – Ben Smith at number 3 seat, Oliver Moore at number 6 seat and cox Nick Brodie, who is looking to avenge for last year’s defeat. “We are definitely working towards creating a higher-quality, stronger technical crew than last year,†said Bowden. “They have good focus and are physically strong, so technically they will be betterâ€. The Race will be screened live on ITV1 during a programme that begins at 16:15 and also broadcast live on LBC radio 97.3. The 2008 Boat Race Crews Blue boats bow Colin Scott bow Jan Herzog 2 Tim Perkins 2 Toby Medaris 3 Henry Pelly 3 Ben Smith 4 *Tobias Garnett* 4 Aaron Marcovy 5 Peter Marsland 5 Michael Wherley 6 Tom Ransley 6 Oliver Moore 7 Tom Edwards 7 Charles Cole stroke Shane O'Mara stroke William England cox Rebecca Dowbiggin cox Nicholas BrodieGoldie/Isis boats bow Marco Espin bow Paul Kelly 2 John Heder 2 Bradley Mytton 3 *Bartosz Szczyrba* 3 Anthony Mullin 4 Dan O'Shaughnessy 4 Matthew Brown 5 Alastair Macleod 5 Andrew Wright 6 Dave Billings 6 Justin Stangel 7 Spencer Hunsberger 7 Robin Ejsmond-Frey stroke Ryan Monaghan stroke Martin Walsh cox Russ Glenn cox Philip Clausen-Thue
Bet Oxford to win 1/1 Bet365 Football Tipper

Re: 2008 Boat Race Well the 'evens' looks even better now...today's Bettingzone Market News: 1200: VC Bet are a stand out price of 11/8 for Cambridge to win the Boat Race on Saturday after illness forced their Stroke, American Shane O'Mara, to withdraw from their eight yesterday. "We feel that the loss of one of their key men at this point could put Cambridge at a serious disadvantage, and we want to keep on the right side of Oxford," said VC spokesman Neal Wilkins. "The Light Blues are already far lighter than their rivals and the omens don't look good." The firm also report that they have seen decent support for Oxford to win by over three lengths, and as usual the dead heat at 150/1 has been very popular. "The dead heat is not the most rational bet, but every year it seems to capture the public's imagination and we run up huge liabilities on it," explained Wilkins. ============ Unless Oxford tank it this bet should come in for ya, FT. EDIT: Winning distance odds from VCBet - Cambridge to win by under 2 lengths 9/2 Cambridge to win by 2 to 3 lengths 6/1 Cambridge to win by over 3 lengths 11/2 Oxford to win by under 2 lengths 7/2 Oxford to win by 2 to 3 lengths 4/1 Oxford to win by over 3 lengths 9/4 Dead Heat 150/1 The 9/4 could be a very good bet.

Re: 2008 Boat Race Very easy win for Oxford in the end (a bit of a 'mare in the early part when Cambridge's stroke-rate pulled them back over Oxford for a few moments before Oxford came absolutely storming back). I'm so annoyed I didn't even put a piddly fiver on the 9/4 on Oxford winning by over 3 lengths. :eyes

Re: 2008 Boat Race Good pick at good odds FT :clap I didn't see the race, but I heard that the crosswinds that caused the last sinking of a boat, about 30 years ago, were the same on Saturday. But the offer of a boat sinking was 16/1, which made no sense to me at all, so I never had a bet. Oxford were wells odds-on for this by Saturday. I was listening to Betfair Radio, and they had the screen open between horse races. I only heard it twice as I was in and out of the room. At an early stage Oxford had gained three quarters of a length, but later they said that Cambridge went odds on to win for a while. Missed out there as a layer :sad