WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb

Draw for the WGC Match Play Championship at The Gallery at Dove Mountain, Tucson, Arizona, on February 20-24 (seeded positions in brackets): (1) Tiger Woods v (64) JB Holmes (32) Mike Weir v (33) Arron Oberholser (16) Zach Johnson v (49) David Toms (17) Aaron Baddeley v (48) Mark Calcavecchia (8) Rory Sabbatini v (57) Bradley Dredge (25) Paul Casey v (40) Robert Karlsson (9) KJ Choi v (56) Camilo Villegas (24) Ian Poulter v (41) Soren Hansen (4) Ernie Els v (61) Jonathan Byrd (29) Retief Goosen v (36) Andres Romero (13) Henrik Stenson v (52) Robert Allenby (20) Trevor Immelman v (45) Shingo Katayama (5) Adam Scott v (60) Brendan Jones (28) Toru Taniguchi v (37) Woody Austin (12) Sergio Garcia v (53) John Senden (21) Martin Kaymer v (44) Boo Weekley (2) Phil Mickelson v (63) Pat Perez (31) Stuart Appleby v (34) Tim Clark (15) Geoff Ogilvy v (50) Justin Leonard (18) Lee Westwood v (47) Brandt Snedeker (7) Justin Rose v (58) Rod Pampling (26) Scott Verplank v (39) Nick O'Hern (10) Vijay Singh v (55) Peter Hanson (23) Niclas Fasth v (42) Richard Green (3) Steve Stricker v (62) Daniel Chopra (30) Richard Sterne v (35) Hunter Mahan (14) Angel Cabrera v (51) Anders Hansen (19) Luke Donald v (46) Nick Dougherty (6) Jim Furyk v (59) Colin Montgomerie (27) Stephen Ames v (38) Charles Howell (11) Padraig Harrington v (54) Jerry Kelly (22) Stewart Cink v (43) Miguel Angel Jimenez The WGC Match Play can be seen here live and FREE LINK

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb

01:00Fasth, Niclas (3/4)Green, Richard (5/4)
01:00Rose, Justin (5/8)Pampling, Rod (13/8)
01:00Scott, Adam (7/17)Jones, Brendan (9/4)
01:00Ames, Stephen (1)Howell, Charles (1)
01:00Mahan, Hunter (13/16)Sterne, Richard (14/11)
01:00Appleby, Stuart (13/19)Clark, Tim (6/4)
01:00Austin, Woody (11/13)Taniguchi, Toru (6/5)
01:00Cink, Stewart (13/18)Jimenez, Miguel-Angel (11/8)
01:00Singh, Vijay (8/15)Hanson, Peter (19/10)
01:00Furyk, Jim (9/13)Montgomerie, Colin (11/8)
01:00Ogilvy, Geoff (11/10)Leonard, Justin (28/29)
01:00Harrington, Padraig (11/21)Kelly, Jerry (2)
01:00Poulter, Ian (13/19)Hansen, Soren (6/4)
01:00Toms, David (1)Johnson, Zach (42/41)
01:00Kaymer, Martin (10/11)Weekley, Boo (30/29)
01:00Donald, Luke (8/13)Dougherty, Nick (32/21)
01:00Mickelson, Phil (2/5)Perez, Pat (5/2)
01:00Casey, Paul (11/14)Karlsson, Robert (6/5)
01:00Sabbatini, Rory (6/11)Dredge, Bradley (15/8)
01:00Verplank, Scott (13/18)OHern, Nick (13/10)
01:00Cabrera, Angel (8/13)Hansen, Anders (23/15)
01:00Stricker, Steve (8/13)Chopra, Daniel (32/21)
01:00Baddeley, Aaron (4/6)Calcavecchia, Mark (7/5)
01:00Woods, Tiger (1/4)Holmes, J-B (4)
01:00Els, Ernie (1/2)Byrd, Jonathan (15/8)
01:00Weir, Mike (5/9)Oberholser, Arron (23/13)
01:00Garcia, Sergio (5/8)Senden, John (13/8)
01:00Goosen, Retief (1)Romero, Andres (1)
01:00Stenson, Henrik (13/18)Allenby, Robert (13/10)
01:00Immelman, Trevor (4/6)Katayama, Shingo (6/4)
01:00Choi, K-J (13/19)Villegas, Camilo (6/4)
01:00Westwood, Lee (3/4)Snedeker, Brandt (5/4)

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb I'll go with 2 outrights. I think this will be a good week for the Europeans. 1pt ew P.Harrington to win Accenture World Matchplay 22/1 Blue Square (1/4 1,2,3,4) Padraig Harrington hasn't got the sort of results in this event that a guy with his quality and matchplay abilities should have. He's made 2 quarter finals but he's better than that and hopefully he'll go further this week. He's certainly got a draw which suggests he can go well. Stewart Cink, Jim Furyk and previous finalist Steve Stricker are in his section but he's avoided all the reknowned big guns and having had a couple of top 15 finishes in the last fortnight over the pond he comes into this in good form and I think he'll go well this week. 1pt ew S.Garcia to win Accenture World Matchplay 40/1 Stan James (1/4 1,2,3,4) Sergio Garcia is as good a matchplay golfer as there is around. His Ryder Cup record almost stands alone in present times and while a lot of that is filled with emotion his golf is still superb. My one worry over Sergio is that he's not played much in 2008 but in Matchplay it's not about 4 good rounds it's about beating your opponent on one hole so I'll take a chance with him. His bracket is nice enough too. Ernie Els heads the seeds in the Hogan section but his record here isn't worth describing. If Sergio can find his game in his 1st couple of matches against John Senden and Martin Kramer/Boo Weekley then he should have a good week.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb Justin Rose has played so little golf, is he worth a lay each round till he gets beat? I was thinking he is 1.62 to lay vs Pampling 1st round. Poulter is another who looks abit short @ 1.72 to back (1.73 to lay) I think Stephen Ames/Charles Howell III game looks very tight (Ames is 1.96 to lay) Might take a look at these later on tonight.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb I'm going for 4 here. All got good records around here. 10pts I.Poulter to beat S.Hansen 4/6 Stan James Match tees off at 15.35GMT. Ian Poulter has a decent enough record in this tournament. He's been to the last 16 and beyond on 3 occasions in his 4 attempts in this event while Soren Hansen makes his debut here. Ian Poulter is a very good match player as you would expect with someone of his competitive edge. He's one of the better putters you'll find and that can be the key in matchplay. He hits it long and putts well and I expect him to progress to the last 32 at the expense of the Dane here. 10pts N.Fasth to beat R.Green 8/11 Coral Match tees off at 15.53GMT. Niclas Fasth is another European with a good record in this event. He's made the last 16 a couple of times and is generally a good match player. Richard Green is a solid strokeplay golfer but for some reason he doesn't seem to do it in matchplay. Certainly not in this event anyway. He's been to this event 3 times in the past and lost in the 1st round all 3 times. Fasth has shown in the Ryder Cup and Seve Trophy that he is a good matchplay golfer and I think he'll see off the Aussie here. 10pts N.O'Hern to beat S.Verplank 2.30 Expekt Match tees off at 17.05GMT. Nick O'Hern caused a stir when he beat Tiger Woods in this event last year. He's been here 4 times in the past and has 3 quarter final appearances to his name so he seems to enjoy this tournament. Scott Verplank is a solid player like O'Hern but for some reason he's never really fired in matchplay, especially in this matchplay event. Verplank has never been past the 2nd round here despite this being his 9th attempt here. O'Hern is a solid player who makes his opponents make birdie to win holes and that could be too much for Verplank and I'll take the Aussie at nice odds here. 10pts G.Ogilvy to beat J.Leonard 6/5 Coral Match tees off at 18.08GMT. Geoff Ogilvy has a seriously good record here. Admittedly that was when his game was in good nick but even so this is a form of golf that isn't played often and his game could come good just like that. Justin Leonard doesn't have the best of records here. He's only been past the last 32 once in 8 attempts so if Ogilvy can find his game he'll feel Leonard is there for the taking. Should the Aussie find the sort of game that has got him to the final for the last 2 years then he'll be very hard to beat.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb Doing one player for each quarter: Choi 50/1 1 pt e.w KJ Choi is a very solid golfer and is probably one of the better guys around not to win a Major yet. He has won numerous titles on the PGA Tour and has risen sharphly up the world rankings and is seeded 8 for this. Tiger looms in this section but he can be vulnerable at times in this event even if he does not have to play his nemesis O'Hern before the final this year. Villegas fisrt up is eratic and therefore dangerous on his day but if Choi plays his normal solid stuff he will be tough to beat this week even for Woods if they met in the q/f. He comes into the event on the back of a good win on the PGA Tour and a seventh last week. His record in this event does not really inspire (lost 5 of 7) but I am not too put off by that, he has won both individual matches in the Pres. Cup that he has played in and he could go well this week. Stenson 28/1 1 pt e.w Defending champ and past winners have a reasonable record in this event (Woods, Toms, Love III, Ogilvy all reached finals although that record does need to bear in my mind that the event was played in the same place a lot of those years.) However it suggests Matchplay is a good format for the aggressive Swede who seems to start the year well and has done again this year with 3 Top 10s of late and indeed two seconds which show he is in good form. Allenby too is in decent form and is a tough round 1 match, Goosen, Els, Scott, Garcia are tough players in the segment but Stenson is up with them imo and is capable of a decent run this week. Fasth 100/1 1 pt e.w Played some good golf last year including a top 5 in the US Open and his form last year moved him dramatically up the world rankings. Had a top ten in his last event in Dubai so approaching better form this year. Played in the 02 Ryder Cup and played well that year and has had the odd run in this event, twice reached the last 16. Green in round 1 is not the worst first round match, and his bracket in general does not look as testing as perhaps it might have been. Cink 80/1 1 pt e.w Finshed third the other week on the PGA Tour so should be in decent form which cant be said for some of these and indeed soem have not even played yet or barely played so far this year. Normally in the mould of a steady player who putts very well on his day but can go up levels with ease and in matchplay events too, remember the 06 Ryder Cup when thrashed an inform Garcia, and did something similar to O'Hern (the Tiger slayer) in the President Cups last year. Has reached the q/f of this before and despite there being some toughish names like Harrington, Furyk/Monty even, Donald, Cabrera in the bracket, Cink might be overpriced.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb Tried to narrow this lot down and still ended up with so many. Fasth 8/11 10 pts See above. Good player and his opponents record of 3 defeats from 3 here encourages. Montgomerie 11/8 10 pts Monty might just be a bit big here. furyk is a tough player and probably does not get enough credit for what he has achieved, I've backed him last 2 US Opens and he could and possibly should have won both to go with his earlier US Open win. He also has a good Ryder Cup singles record, 06 was his first defeat in his fifth match. However Monty is a good matchplay player, his record in this does not do him enough justice, his Ryder Cup singles record needs all you need to know. He has pressure on him knowing a couple of wins could get him into the Masters and he might just pull it off. Baddeley 4/6 10 pts Got to the last 16 in this last year and was the leader going into the 07 US Open final day before blowing it big time then. Plays Calcavecchia who has been around for ages and despite a renaissance has not played this year so form is unknown and the Aussie is fancied here. Choi 4/6 10 pts See earlier post. Villegas had a decent end to 2007 and won in Japan recently but he is considerably down the rankings in comparison to Choi and is nowhere near as consistent. Choi for me. Stenson 7/10 10 pts See earlier post. Stenson has played really well of recent weeks and whilst Allenby too has ok form so far this year, Stenson has far more in his game imo and may well go close to defending his crown. Sterne 6/5 10 pts Sterne had some very good consistent form on the European tour last season and recently won in Africa so seemingly is playing well. Mahan an aggressive golfer showed his liking for the Matchplay for format albeit 36 holes at Wentworth when got to the semis last year but Sterne looks a solid favour and I favour him. Toms Evens 10 pts Might not have the recent form but warrents big respect with his record in the event, a former winner and finalist so obviously likes the format. Johnson is probably quite a similar type of player to Toms but with Toms' record in the event I favour him other the Masters champ. Cink 4/6 10 pts See earlier post. Jimenez has shown little so far this season and despite having experienced some matchplay past through Ryder Cups, Seve Trophy, Cink is experienced to in that sense and is the pick.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb Only Ogilvy let me down but 3/4 for the night and +16.8pts which I'm happy with. Excellent 1st day in this thread with everyone making a profit (I think :$). Well done to Woody too who looks like nailing 7 out of 8 :clap. Let's hope for more tomorrow :ok

Justin Rose has played so little golf, is he worth a lay each round till he gets beat? I was thinking he is 1.62 to lay vs Pampling 1st round. Poulter is another who looks abit short @ 1.72 to back (1.73 to lay) I think Stephen Ames/Charles Howell III game looks very tight (Ames is 1.96 to lay) Might take a look at these later on tonight.
Knew i should have laid rose in that game :wall
Final bets put onto sports punter are: Ogilvy to bt Leonard 10pts :$ Stenson to bt Allenby 10pts :ok Baddeley to bt Calcavecchia 5pts :ok Stenson top european 13/2 Bet365 5pts:hope
2 out of 3 today so pleased with that & well done to the others on here.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb This is where the hard work gets undone, some prices maybe better when more bookies price up: Romero Evens 10 pts Byrd thrased Els in round 1 but I think a lot to do with that was ernie's preparartion for an event he seemed not to want to play in before making a last ditch decision which backfired even though looking at Byrd's scorecard he was impressive nonetheless. Romero himself overcame the out of form Goosen in a closer match. For me though, Romero is the better player, he probably mucked up the Open even more than Garcia last year when somehow missing out on a play off and he has more firepower imo. Cabrera Evens 10 pts Another aggressive Argentinian who has done well in the matchplay format before especially at Wentworth. On his game he can destroy a golf course. Donald is more steady type of player and his scorecard in his win over Dougherty showed he played better as he went along as did Cabrera in his first win but I favour Cabrera's extra firepower. Cink 5/4 10 pts Good game in order here. Harrington and Cink are both in good form and both had comfortable wins in the opening game. Cink was my pick in this section at the start and as i said then whilst he generally is a steady player, he can hit purple patches in matchplay as he has showen to O'hern and Garcia in the past and he hit a purple patch in his first match where he went birdie, birdie, eagle, par, par, birdie and par to clinch that game and if he hit a streak like that against Harrington, it could be trouble for the Irishman. Fasth 5/4 10 pts Destroyed Green 6 and 5 in round 1 who is now 4 defeats from 4 in this event now. Singh had a much tougher match which he won at the 19th and Fasth who was one of my 100/1 picks at the start of the week looks to be in very good form and could cause a minor upset here. Leonard 11/10 10 pts Leonard is in a renaissaince at the moment in his career. A former major winner and experienced matchplay veteran, remember that putt and the terrible celebrations that ruined the putt and the American comeback that year. He won an event late last year and has three top 8 finishes this season including a second and he beat Ogilvy with his great matchplay record, in round 1. Westwood too is in better form and can play good matchplay as shown in the Ryder Cup if not so much here but Leonard seems on a bit of a roll at the moment. Mahan 6/5 10 pts The reason I did not get 8/8 in round 1 when he beat Sterne having been behind. His scorecard looks good on the back nine with three birdies on the trot to take control in that one and he has matchplay pedigree having played in the Pres. Cup and at Wentworth last season when he did well. Stricker is the third seed and no.1 in this bracket somewhat surprisingly imo but he has played steady golf for a long time now and has won this before. However he struggled to get past Chopra in round 1 and Mahan might not be easy either.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb Hopefully we can have another good day. 10pts C.Montgomerie to beat C.Howell III 11/10 Totesport Match tees off at 16.39 GMT. Colin Montgomerie looked really good in beating Jim Furyk yesterday while his opponent Howell took a 19th hole in getting rid of Stephen Ames. Monty is desperate for ranking points here to get him into the Masters and give him some Ryder Cup points too. His putter was red hot yesterday and a repeat tonight will see him through here I believe. 10pts N.O'Hern to beat R.Pampling 10/11 Stan James Match tees off at 17.27 GMT. Nick O'Hern continued his good form in this event yesterday by seeing off Scott Verplank in fine style. Verplank was in good form coming in here and although his matchplay record is crap O'Hern still got the job done. Pampling had a good win over an out of sorts Justin Rose but O'Hern is a real solid player who is tough to beat and I think he'll come through here. 10pts H.Mahan to beat S.Stricker 6/5 Stan James Match tees off at 18.15 GMT. Hunter Mahan came from behind to beat Richard Sterne yesterday and played well in the process. He went round in 5 under par without a single bogey on his card which should give him the confidence to beat Steve Stricker who is without a doubt the most improved player of the last year or so. Stricker was also -5 yesterday but through 20 holes and with Mahan probably having the edge on length I think he could see off the world no3. I might come back with 1 more later but those will do for now.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb i like plumping on sergio garcia to beat boo weekley at 4/7 weekley beat kaymer 2&1 garcia beat senden 3&2 just feel garcia got bit extra to give out here 10pts on garcia *arent i glad i didnt have els yesterday, thought his odds were fairly good but luckily didnt tip him as got no advice off you lot lol, but went with the majority and lumped on one game being fasth :ok what do you guys find the better way make profit bet on 3 or 4 singles or lump on 1 matchup? if i was to lump on one today who looks the savish one (obviously none are safe)

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb Todays Round 2 matches (yesterdays results havent been settled correctly on Sports Punter!)

SportGolf
EventWGC Round 2
SelectionI Poulter to bt K Choi
Strength10/10
Date21/02/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 2.20 (Back)
Reasoningtaken 2.2 as only £153 to back at 2.28 Poulter went into this tournament with 9 wins from 14 matches in the WGC Accenture matchplay. He got off to a good start yesterday & looks value against choi whose record is nowhere near as good - 3 wins from 8.
SportGolf
EventWGC Round 2
SelectionP Mickelson to bt S Appleby
Strength10/10
Date21/02/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.66 (Back)
ReasoningMickelson comes into the tournament of the back of a win last weekend & his confidence is high. A record of 13 wins from 21 here isnt as impressive as others but should be enough to see him through against Appleby who has only 5 wins from 14 games in the WGC
SportGolf
EventWGC Round 2
SelectionS Garcia to bt B Weekley
Strength10/10
Date21/02/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.76 (Back)
ReasoningGarcia had a decent game yesterday & is now a veteran of this tournament playing 14 matches & winning 8. This is weekleys maiden outing in the WGC & i feel the experience will tell. Garcia will be keen to do well in this tournament in his quest for a major this year.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb Tournament draw is here http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/leaderboards/current/r470/ Woods @ 2.60 Betfair looks a decent bet to reach the final & may face either Stenson or Garcia if they meet in the quarters. Luke Donald is the other one i feel worth a look & i will take a speculative punt to lay later on winner @ 38.0 Donald to reach final @ 12.0 Donald top 4 @ 3.50 Donald

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb +51.53 so far and with 3 picks still in. Choi 9/10 10 pts Has not played inspiring golf seemingly so far and just beat Poulter in the last round but having got so far the no.9 seed is a real danger and he knows what it takes to win tournamnets in America. Casey's card looks impressive in beating Karlsson but equally it looks poor in comparison to his win over Dredge. He seems very much a form player and whilst there is a danger in that he must have hit some form to get this far, Choi is very steady and can take the more inconsistent Casey. Cabrera 11/10 10 pts Cabrera has an aggressive game that can spell real trouble for his opponents in matchplay when in form. There are lost of par 5s and some reachable par 4s on this course and Cabrera has the game to exploit them. Stricker has needed extra holes to win both his opening games and beat Mahan with a monsterous putt but whilst in the Choi match I am going for the safer option if you like, in this one I am going with the more aggressive Cabrera.

Sport Golf
Event WGC Matchplay Round 3 - Byrd v Stenson
Selection BYRD
Strength 10/10
Date 22/02/2008
Bookmaker/Price totesport @ 2.25 (Back)
Reasoning Stenson has scraped through in his early matches but Byrd has destroyed Els and Romero on his way to round 3. He is clearly playing well and surprises can be frequent in this tournament. I fancy Byrd to upset Stenson here.

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb This is turning into a very good event + 71.53 and I have three going for me still, all one win away from an guaranteed e.w payout at the worst. The one game where I do not have an interest so far with one of my outrights is: Leonard @ Evens 10 pts. Leonard is clearly in a renaissance in his career and whilst it is too soon to say he is back to his Major winning heights yet, he is nevertheless playing well and looking a decent bet to make the Ryder Cup this year. He took Appleby out yesterday and that was the same man who knocked out Mickelson is style the day before. Singh on the other hand has sneaked through, twice beating players in extra holes including Pampling yesterday who folded having been two up with two to play and does not look in the same form as the American. Leonard for me.

This is turning into a very good event + 71.53 and I have three going for me still, all one win away from an guaranteed e.w payout at the worst. The one game where I do not have an interest so far with one of my outrights is: Leonard @ Evens 10 pts. Leonard is clearly in a renaissance in his career and whilst it is too soon to say he is back to his Major winning heights yet, he is nevertheless playing well and looking a decent bet to make the Ryder Cup this year. He took Appleby out yesterday and that was the same man who knocked out Mickelson is style the day before. Singh on the other hand has sneaked through, twice beating players in extra holes including Pampling yesterday who folded having been two up with two to play and does not look in the same form as the American. Leonard for me.
woody is certainly the inform person on this golf this week well done :ok out match ups i also picked leonard and found you tipped him as well which helps me make my mind hopefully he will come in

Re: WGC Match Play 20th- 24th Feb Yep top stuff Woody. :hope for the 3 today although I'm opposing one of them :$. Nice work with Stenson Bowlesy :ok. 2 for me today. 10pts J.Leonard to beat V.Singh 10/11 Ladbrokes Match tees off at 15.02 GMT. Justin Leonard is playing some really good golf in this event and the run of birdies he produced in his match with Stuart Appleby yesterday was incredible. From holes 10-14 Leonard hit 5 straight birdies so it's no wonder Stuart Appleby couldn't stick with him. Leonard was 8 under for the 16 holes he played yesterday and that's as good a line of form as anyone has shown this week. The worst he's played the course in his 3 matches is -5! In comparison Vijay was only -2 for his 1st 18 holes yesterday and came through in overtime for the 2nd time in 3 days. In the other match he went all the way too and that could well catch up with the Fijian. His best round this week has been -4 so with Leonard's form this week, and his good form coming into the event I think that will be enough to see him through. 10pts A.Cabrera to beat S.Cink 10/11 Ladbrokes Match tees off at 15.15 GMT. Angel Cabrera has really turned into an excellent golfer and the confidence his US Open win gave him has made him very dangerous. He's a good match play golfer too. He made the final at Wentworth last year and this course with it's long par 5's and short par 4's suits him nicely. He played excellent golf against Steve Stricker last night and beat him with a 6 under par round and that was through 15 holes. Cink also played well yesterday in beating Colin Montgomerie and the thing about Cink is he's such a good putter which tends to be where matches are won. He also shot -6 yesterday and he'll hang in there all the way round but Cabrera's extra length coupled with his ever improving putting can see him edge a close one here.