A-League Round 11 - Adelaide vs Queensland (Nov 2nd)

Re: A-League Round 11 - Adelaide vs Queensland (Nov 2nd) Adelaide still on the rise: Vidmar

Adelaide United's Hyundai A-League "B-team" has proven it is anything but a second-tier line-up, having thrashed Wellington Phoenix 4-1 on Sunday. And coach Aurelio Vidmar is optimistic his young players still have plenty of room for improvement. United has rocketed up the ladder and claimed top spot after winning four of its last five games and has done so with a range of its most experienced players on the sidelines. The players the team has relied upon have stepped up to the challenge - Dez Giraldi and Lucas Pantelis two of the best in recent weeks. Giraldi, who scored his first goal for the club against Wellington Phoenix on the weekend, is repaying the faith the Reds have shown in him while he struggled with injuries. Vidmar said he was always hopeful Giraldi's 'wretched' run on the sidelines would end and he'd be a match-winning player for the club. "He was always close to getting a start or being in the squad and every time he got that close he always redid some sort of injury," Vidmar said. "He's really looking after his body now, more than he was before, so I think he's a little more conscious of what he's doing." "Hopefully, touch wood, it's part of the new Dez Giraldi - he can get over these injuries and really focus on doing what he does best." "We've seen quite a bit of him at training, I've seen him previously with the Olyroos and he's a very smart footballer." Another player who has put his injury woes behind him is Lucas Pantelis. The 25-year-old sat out the 2006/07 season recovering from a knee reconstruction but is producing career-best form, recording three goals in the past three weeks. Pantelis said he was savouring every moment of his comeback. "Having a year off was really hard, not just physically but also mentally and to come back from such a major injury, each week and each training session I'm just enjoying it," he said. "I think it's getting me through these games, I'm just enjoying myself and when you enjoy yourself you play some really good football." Pantelis added his recent success was generated by the good form of his team-mates. "We are playing some really good football at the moment and it's just making my job a lot easier," he said. "When you've got Travis Dodd supplying some fantastic balls, the midfield is just working and if we can get that right week in week out we'll be a hard team to beat." Meanwhile, Vidmar's praise for his players didn't stop with just Pantelis and Giraldi. The Reds' coach said the entire team put in a 'solid' effort after conceding the first goal against Wellington Phoenix in Round 10. "I think they got balls into decent areas through Cassio and through Richie (Alagich) and some of the play from set pieces and general play was outstanding," Vidmar said. "And when you've got people like Dez (Giraldi), Lucas (Pantelis) and Jason (Spagnuolo) it is always very difficult for defenders to pick up." "We've worked quite hard at that during the year and I think week by week it is just getting better."

Re: A-League Round 11 - Adelaide vs Queensland (Nov 2nd) Before last Sunday, just three of their first nine at home, so no wonder they're blossoming all of a sudden. I think 4.50 to win A-League is a great price. Appear the most solid team to me and and feels like a really good resolve at the club off last year's disappointment.

Re: A-League Round 11 - Adelaide vs Queensland (Nov 2nd) Over 2.5 In the previous encounter between the two teams it was an eventful 2-2 draw in Queensland. Now they meet in Adelaide who sit on top of the ladder and the Roar are 5th. Adelaide have won their last 3 home games and drew the other. They have scored in each of their four home games but have also conceded in each of them. Their last 3 games have gone over. Queensland have a decent away record of 2 wins and 2 draws. In each of these games they have scored a goal. Good chance of both teams scoring and then pushing on for the over.