Cricket: England vs India ODI Series

England take on India in 7 ODI's which begin on Tuesday. Odds

Best odds/All oddsv15.gifv6074.gifv1.gifv2.gifv3.gifv6018.gifv502.gif
England2.622.252.22.22.372.252.37
India1.51.571.611.611.531.571.53
Schedule August 2007
Tue 21 icon-daynight_13x11.gif 14:30 local, 13:30 GMT 1st ODI - England v India The Rose Bowl, Southampton
Fri 24 icon-daynight_13x11.gif 14:30 local, 13:30 GMT 2nd ODI - England v India County Ground, Bristol
Mon 27 10:15 local, 09:15 GMT 3rd ODI - England v India Edgbaston, Birmingham
Thu 30 icon-daynight_13x11.gif 14:30 local, 13:30 GMT 4th ODI - England v India Old Trafford, Manchester
September 2007
Sun 2 10:15 local, 09:15 GMT 5th ODI - England v India Headingley, Leeds
Wed 5 10:15 local, 09:15 GMT 6th ODI - England v India Kennington Oval, London
Sat 8 10:15 local, 09:15 GMT 7th ODI - England v India Lord's, London
3 bets early doors for the series. 4pts England to win ODI series 13/8 Bet365 I can't for the life of me see why England are 13/8 to win this series. Sure we're no great shakes at ODI cricket but let's not forget we are playing an India side who 6 months ago couldn't even get out of their group in the World Cup. For all their big names, it's been a while since India have looked even remotely convincing in one day cricket. They've not won an overseas series against a big nation for a while and don't really travel well generally. Only Saturday, England Lions hit 294 against pretty much their 1st choice bowling lineup so why they are so short is beyond me really. England are a poor ODI side, there's no denying that but the potential and possible improvement is there. Andrew Flintoff and Ravi Bopara are back for this series and Kevin Pietersen comes into the series a little fresher than the Windies one. With Tremlett finding his feet at International level, the bowling attack looks better too. The likes of Trott have been disposed of and we look like we've got a good squad. The grounds this series is due to visit are generally good grounds for England and with the weather as dodgy as it is right now, many games could end up being shortened. With India not playing much Twenty20 that should play into our hands and I'll take a chance on us winning the series. 1pt England to win 5-2 25/1 Bet365 This is a daft and silly price. These games are all played in a pretty short space of time and with it being 7 matches, the series could be won in 4 or 5 games giving 2 or 3 dead rubbers which the series winning side should have the confidence to increase their lead. I've already said why I think England can win the series and I think it's a series that momentum will be crucial. England aren't yet good enough to dominate a series and win 6-1 or 7-0 but a 5-2 victory has a chance and it's never a 25/1 shot. If all 7 aren't completed we get a refund so I'll pay my money and take a chance. 2pts Y.Singh Top India Series Bat 6/1 Bet365 Yuvraj Singh is a quality batsmen, and a destructive one too. Last time India played a big series here, Yuvraj came in with them seemingly beaten but won the Natwest final for them at Lords. He had a decent little hit out in Scotland where he looked in good form and he has to be backed here. He's the one guy who you feel can really get after England's attack. He can play shots all around the wicket and can clear any rope in the country. He has experience of English conditions and I expect Yuvraj to go very well in the series.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Gonna have to disagree here, I think the Indians, who will be on a high after unexpectedly winning the test series, will destroy our bowling attack in these games. Yes Flintoff's back but is he fit? Tremlett went round the park at Lords the other day, Sidebottom is injured atm, Anderson always goes for runs, Broad is inexperienced and Panesar has yet to really perform in ODIs and the indians played him well in the tests. Remember the Windies took our attack to the cleaners and now we face a team who have just racked up 664 in a test instead of being skittled out. India are best price 4/6 to win the series outright, not sure if this is worth backing however. On England Lions, yes they did well, but Northampton isn't a big ground and if we look at the players who played in that game who might feature in the series it's not so positive. Bell 21 off 17 Shah 1 off 9 Bopara 37 off 51 The score was achieved thanks to some good hitting at the start from Solanki (60 off 65) and Luke Wright (56 off 40) and some slogging from the tail of Nixon, Schofield and Bresnan. We were 149-5 at one stage and if that happens again I don't see our tail rescuing us.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Just one more series outright bet. 4pts J.Anderson Top England Series Bowler 4/1 Boylesports Jimmy Anderson bowled very nicely in the test series against India and could well have picked up more wickets than he did. We're coming into his part of the season now, the clouds are coming over and the ball will swing more. Anderson has been one of England's best ODI bowlers in the past and has the tools to be in this series. Andrew Flintoff heads the market but he could take a game or two to get into the swing of things and another danger, Ryan Sidebottom has been ruled out of game 1 of the series and could yet be ruled out of the series. I'd imagine Broad and Tremlett to be rotated so Anderson looks to have every chance.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Good call, think I might follow. Still kicking myself I didn't get on him for the tests as I weighed it up, but in the end thought Panesar and Sidebottom would get more luck than they did. Any thoughts on how best to back the Indians?

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Right, 1st ODI is a day night game at the Rose Bowl.

India1.81.81.881.721.81.831.721.721.721.721.721.721.91.91.72
England21.92.0521.91.8322222.122.072.12.18
I'll go with 5 for the opener. Bets will get fewer though and potential dead rubbers draw near. 10pts England to win 1st ODI 11/10 Totesport England host India in an ODI for the 1st time since 2004 when they won the best of 3 series on that occasion 2-1 courtesy of 2 big wins. Since then, England have made the final of the Champions Trophy in 2004, drew the Natwest series final with Australia in 2005, won the CB Series in Australia last winter and made the Super Eights in the World Cup back in April. India have done precious little in the 3 years since these sides last did battle. In the World Cup they had a shocker and failed to get out of their group. England have Ryan Sidebottom missing from this 1st match but the other 13 men in the squad are fit to play. 3 Hampshire guys will be hoping for a game on their home patch but Dimitri Mascarenhas looks like missing out. Andrew Flintoff and Ravi Bopara return for England with Alistair Cook likely to join Mascarenhas on the sidelines. Chris Tremlett has been rewarded for his excellent series in the test matches with a call up and he should start on a wicket which will be familiar to him. In Cook's absence, Ian Bell looks set to open the innings with Owais Shah in at 3. Flintoff and Bopara will bat 6 and 7 respectively. India have a full squad to pick from but their seam attack worries me. Ajit Agarkar comes in to strengthen it in place of Sreesanth but RP Singh and Zaheer Khan have bowled a lot of overs in the last month so they are not fresh. They've dealt in swing too but the Rose Bowl is unlikely to yield much of that. With the bat, Ganguly and Tendulkar are set to open with Yuvraj coming in at 4 and Dravid in at 5. Piyush Chawla looks to have the spinners berth ahead of Romesh Powar. As I eluded to in the 1st paragraph, England can be a good side. The potential is there for sure. They've made a lot of changes to their side from the test series which will help and as the fresher side on a pitch that suits their bowling attack perfectly I'll take the hosts to take an early lead in the series. 10pts India Highest 1st 10 Overs 5/6 William Hill I'm pretty certain that Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly will be given licence to throw their arms through the ball at the top of the innings. These 2 have been one of the best batting partnerships the game has ever seen over the years and a quick start is almost a given. England may be a little more circumspect, particularly with Matt Prior opening the innings. He's under pressure at the minute. There's plenty of calls for Phil Mustard to replace him in the 1 day game so Prior may rein himself in a touch to get a good score. There's nothing in the bowling lineup's early doors to suggest a huge discrepancy but the 2 run machines for India play with freedom and should ensure India lead after 10 overs. 10pts A.Flintoff's Performance Pts Under 54 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Andrew Flintoff doesn't have great stats or a recent record against India. He averages 30.52 with the ball with a highest score of 99 but his last 4 scores against the Indian side have been 5, 15, 12 and 0. Another one of those will leave a lot to do in the field where he averages 1 wicket per innings against this opposition. All of that suggests the under is fairly safe here but Fred is still coming back to form and full fitness. Although he's played a few games for Lancashire recently he may well need a game or two to get to grips with international cricket again so I'll take him to have a fairly low key game and stay under 54pts. 10pts Under 5 6's 6/4 Sporting Odds In the 8 ODI matches at the Rose Bowl, there has never been 5 6's in any of them. That's surprising on the face of it because a lot of those matches have been a strong side against a minnow. However the Rose Bowl has huge boundaries and a pitch which isn't always the easiest to bat on. The highest number of 6s came last year when Pakistan chased down 272 successfully. Pakistan in fact hit all 4 6's in that match so although that was close to this total, only 1 side contributed. England don't really hit big with the exception of Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff but even they'll do well to threaten 5 maximums. 6's are usually a rarity no matter what form of cricket is being played at Hampshire's home ground so the unders looks fairly safe here. 5pts ew I.Bell Top England Batsman 11/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Ian Bell seems to be getting better in this England one day side. Many don't think he should be in it but that's opinion and Bell often contributes enough to justify a place in the side. He averages a touch under 35 in ODI's through 45 innings with 11 half centuries. 2 of those half centuries have come in his last 6 matches. He has played 3 times against India in ODI's, all in India, and made 46, 32 and 4 so he has starts to his name and will want to hit a big score to ensure his place in the side in this series. He faces a new challenge here as he is set to open the innings for England but having batted at 3 for most of the last 18 months, he'll be fairly used to coming in early so I don't expect that to be too big a problem. He comes into this game having hit 63 and a better than a run a ball 67 in the 3rd test at The Oval and I think he'll go close to top scoring here.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series I fancy India in this series and 4/6 seems fair to me. England are woeful at ODI and despite the changes this ummer there remains much work to do. Their batting is too dependent on Pietersen to play aggressively as so many around him do not and even though Flintoff comes in he can hardly be described as a massive success with the bat in the last two years. Their reluctance to really use the powerplays against the WIndies remained and even if that changes, I am not sure that in this squad, unlike the 20 20, there is that much to really exploit them. Prior presumably opening for that did not really do that in that series. For Eng. top bat I am taking a bit of a chance on Shah @ 8/1. He has had an average summer in truth in comparison to what he could achieve at county level until hitting a big century last week. However he batted well in the WIndies series down the order and can do again. Similarly to Collingwood he maneuvers the field well ticking the board over but can also play a more expansive role if required. There is a chance he might miss out but hopefully that wont happen and if it does I doubt it will for too long. As for the bowling i can see trouble. Anderson whilst a wicket taker at the start is expensive, Sidebottom injured currently, Tremlett will be attacked more in this form of the game and will need to adapt and I am not convicned he can in ODI, Flintoff still lacks sharpness and Panesar consistently bowls quicker and quicker and so far has not adapted to this form of the game (hopefully he will.) The lack of wicket takers in the middle period is also a big concern and I doubt India's batting line up are quaking and 300+ can be expected if conditions are ok and that is an 'if.' Broad definitely has a lot of potential and was slightly unfortunate not to play a test. He is raw and at times expensive but similarly to Anderson he can take wickets early on and at 15/2 Betfred he looks big to be Eng. series top wicket taker amongst an average batch considering Flintoff's lack of sharpness. India had a poor World Cup but generally are a pretty solid one day team. Their batting is strong: Ganguly, Dravid and Sachin joined by the expansive talents of Singh and Dhoni and there are others. They certainly have more attacking options than Eng. I like Ganguly @ 4/1 for top bat. He has done well since coming back to their side and played well in the test series amongst some awful decisions He will probably open and look to take maximum advantage of England's weak attack. The bowling was the real relevation of the summer. Khan was excellent along with Singh and the experienced Agarkar and less so Patel join for the ODI. Arguably they are one bowler short in particular a spinner as they plump for young Chawla but whether England's batsman take advantage is doubtful. I will be leaving alone top bowler. It would be nice to see England improve in ODI but I am not sure that they will in this series.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Good stuff, lads. Admire your faith in Collingwood's bunch of underachievers, Kev! Good luck. The 1st 10 overs runs looks a stand-out. first 0DI: BUY Ganguly/Prior performance @ 8.5 at 1pt India runs first ten overs @ 5/6 at 24pts Ganguly MoM @ 12-1 at 3pts

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Sunny(ish) weather forecast. Spin put up 'multi-fours' at 330-390 which could be undercooking it a bit. Maybe even a lot. Last year here in a Paks/Eng day/night this made up at 675. This multi-stuff can be a killer. But, as so often nowadays, you tune in and see the boundary rope way in from the fence, a buy on multi-fours at anything less than 400 with two evenly matched sides under a clear sky can put a smile on the face. This should go well unless the pitch is as dead as a parrot, then I'm fooked. BUY multi-fours @ 390 at 0.30pts

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series According to CricInfo, Prior and Bell will open for England. This has got to be the lamest opening pair that ever donned pyjamas. How this is part of Moores' idea of taking England to the sunny uplands of one-day success beggars bloody belief. Bell tootles along at a strike rate of 68 in ODIs -- exactly the same as the ditched Vaughan -- and Prior has been tried as a pinch-hitter to sod-all effect in the past. How you can back England with these two jokers twirling their arms as they come out of the pavilion is beyond me. (Mind you, I've been wrong before)

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series I'm going to take Flintoff 54 points and over at bet365 for the simple fact i feel he will really be determined to proving those who have been doubting his fitness wrong. He is a class player on his day and i feel the couple of matches he has played for lancashire has given him enough preparation for this. Plus he can always grab a catch or two in the slips to boost his points.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series As well as the opening partnerships bet above, just got on match sixes - England @ 2.5 Looking at what Kev says above, 3 sixes could well be enough to win that bet, and KP and Fred, between them, must be in with a decent chance of getting that, surely?

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series

5pts ew I.Bell Top England Batsman 11/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Ian Bell seems to be getting better in this England one day side. Many don't think he should be in it but that's opinion and Bell often contributes enough to justify a place in the side. He averages a touch under 35 in ODI's through 45 innings with 11 half centuries. 2 of those half centuries have come in his last 6 matches. He has played 3 times against India in ODI's, all in India, and made 46, 32 and 4 so he has starts to his name and will want to hit a big score to ensure his place in the side in this series. He faces a new challenge here as he is set to open the innings for England but having batted at 3 for most of the last 18 months, he'll be fairly used to coming in early so I don't expect that to be too big a problem. He comes into this game having hit 63 and a better than a run a ball 67 in the 3rd test at The Oval and I think he'll go close to top scoring here.
Beauty of a pick here Kev, with the others all looking pretty good as well :ok

does anyone know if you have placed a player points bet and they haven't batted' date=' is the bet void?? just thinking because flintoff didn't get a chance to bat[/quote'] I would imagine its taken into account, so no. But you never know a few wickets will still get the bet up

does anyone know if you have placed a player points bet and they haven't batted' date=' is the bet void?? just thinking because flintoff didn't get a chance to bat[/quote'] Normally I'd say fraid not mate but as I'm on the unders I'm happy to say it still counts :ok.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series That'll do very nicely. Shame about the 6s at the end but England won, as did Flintoff's performance and Bell which makes the total for the day +33.68. Anderson is 3 clear already to make that look good and England go 1-0 up so the series is looking good. Anymore India performances like that and this series could be a precession :eek.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Not a great night for us in here I don't think, apart from Kev who nailed Bell as top bat! Only thing to take out of the game for me was Anderson taking the early top wicket lead. Is this the new dawn for England's ODI team? Or were India just rubbish? See you all for the next game on Friday...