Mighty Man's career in balance after Champion Stayers' injury

MIGHTY MAN was taken to a veterinary clinic on the Curragh for examination last night after suffering a career-threatening injury while leading in the Champion Stayers' Hurdle at Punchestown. The Henry Daly-trained seven-year-old was sent off 5-4 favourite to win the 3m event and set off to make all the running. He was still in front when breaking down on his off-foreleg soon after three out and he was pulled up and dismounted on the bend after the second last hurdle. Speaking on At The Races, Daly said: "Basically it looks like he has a rupture or has done a lot of damage to a superficial flexor tendon. It's an injury that is not life threatening but one that will take a very long time to heal. It's one of those things that unfortunately happens in racing and it is mortifying when it happens to a horse like him." His rider Richard Johnson said: "He was hanging on me from a couple of hurdles before he broke down and that is something he never does. He didn't want me to pull him up. That's him, he is the most genuine horse and he would keep going until he fell on the ground if you let him. "I wouldn't blame the ground in any way. It is perfect good ground and that sort of injury could have happened at home." Clerk of the course Joe Collins said: "Mighty Man was attended to by the vets in the stable area. They have strapped up his tendon and the horse is going to Ned Gowing's clinic for examination." A seven-time winner over hurdles, Mighty Man achieved his most recent success when landing the Grade 2 Liverpool Hurdle at Aintree for the second consecutive year.