EDF Energy Anglo-Welsh Cup Final - Ospreys v Leicester (Sun 2:30 ko)

Although this is rugby's equivilant of the carling cup, there is a bit of a grudge between these 2 sides resulting from their heineken cup clashes last year (both won by leicester) with accusations from both sides about cheating and foul play. Leicester are the best side in England right now and Ospreys can claim to be so in Wales (although Llanelli may have something to say) so this game should be a cracker. Leicester: Sam Vesty; Tom Varndell, Dan Hipkiss, Daryl Gibson, Alesana Tuilagi; Paul Burke, Harry Ellis; Martin Castrogiovanni, George Chuter, Julian White, Leo Cullen, Ben Kay, Tom Croft, Shane Jennings, Martin Corry (capt). Replacements: Gavin Hickie, Alex Moreno, Louis Deacon, Brett Deacon, Frank Murphy, Andy Goode, Geordan Murphy. Ospreys: Lee Byrne; Shane Williams, Sonny Parker, Andrew Bishop, Nikki Walker; James Hook, Justin Marshall; Duncan Jones (capt), Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Brent Cockbain, Alun Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Filo Tiatia. Replacements: Barry Williams, Paul James, Mike Powell, Richard Pugh, Jason Spice, Shaun Connor, Stefan Terblanche

Re: EDF Energy Anglo-Welsh Cup Final - Ospreys v Leicester (Sun 2:30 ko) Although Leicester are the "one nil to the Arsenal" of modern day rugby I really think the Ospreys have a good chance here. Looking at the backs outside scrum half Leicester have nothing (Paul Burke, a great player for Cardiff, is past it alas) and the O's can cause real damage with the likes of Hook, Walker and Williams. I watched Leicester in the semis against Sale and they were dreadful; the only tries coming from Tuilagi who, if he wasn't marked already, will be kep under wraps this weekend. I look at the two packs and the Ospreys have so much more dymanism it's untrue, even if the Leicester eight get advantage in the scrums I expect the O's to be much more prominent in the ball carrying stakes. As a result I am going 5pts Ospreys to beat Leicester @ 6/4 (Bet365)

Re: EDF Energy Anglo-Welsh Cup Final - Ospreys v Leicester (Sun 2:30 ko) right folks, time for the crunch. accuse me of bias if you want but I really think Ospreys can do it today. Paul Burke starts at 10 for Leicester and he's been poor all season and up against him is the hottest young talent in europe - James Hook. Leicester have a big euro semi final next week and it wouldn't suprise me if they have one eye on it. Ospreys have plenty of good ball carriers in the pack and their set piece has been solid all season nulifying one of Tigers main strengths. However Leicester know how to win big games and will get plenty of support at Twickenham. Leicester games tend to be close though so the obvious bet is: Ospreys +6 @ 4/5 (Bet 365)

Re: EDF Energy Anglo-Welsh Cup Final - Ospreys v Leicester (Sun 2:30 ko) I agree with the Ospreys choice. If leicester hadnt a Heineken semi next week , i reckon it'd still be pretty mucha 50/50 game given the quality in the Ospreys side. Only concern is their scrum, particularly the front row but conditions look today so the Ospreys backs should seeplenty of the ball.Ospreys +5 10/11 boyles

Re: EDF Energy Anglo-Welsh Cup Final - Ospreys v Leicester (Sun 2:30 ko) Like you say 2hcb good value for money today, can't believe how bad the O's were in the first 40 Leicester not really having to do an awful lot for their 4 tries other than just smashing the Ospreys forwards at every opportunity - I might not like the way they play but that pack is ruthlessly efficient and Ellis is a great guy to have behind them. Good to get a look at Leicester before the HC semis next weekend, I do think that Llanelli will put up a more structured opposition than the Ospreys but I doubt whether their pack can do enough. Will be interesting to see the odds when they come out.

Re: EDF Energy Anglo-Welsh Cup Final - Ospreys v Leicester (Sun 2:30 ko) Llanelli aren't coached by Lyn Jones so won't try and take them on up front like ospreys did :wall :wall when the players played their natural game in the second half we looked like a decent side. its been the same all season really, happened against sale and Stade Francais except this time Leicester were ruthless and left us too much to do to come back. we can't beat the top sides with LJ in charge :cry