How to read horse ratings ?

Hi there I need help understanding horse ratings. untitledqi6.jpg

Could some one tell me how I can understand which horses rating is higher than whos ? For example is 270/21 higher than 121-21. Why all the different signs / and -. In this one you get Letters like 00-P and 13FP. Confuses me, i dont no whether a letter is higher, or a long strip of numbers :cry Id appreciate it if someone clarified . thanks .

Re: How to read horse ratings ? Hello oriental express! I'm not an expert but this is what I think I know: Form: recent race results 122-21 The finishing position in the races entered. Last one on the right. So the horse won last race, came 2nd in the previous one, ... '-' Another year. For example 122 were in 2006 and 21 in 2007. '0' means 10th or worse place in race. 'P' - Pulled Up 'F' - Fell '/' - Don't know In example: 9/4 Wyldello are the betting forecast odds for that horse. Did you ever bet on any sport? You do know what odds are don't you? I hope I helped you.

Re: How to read horse ratings ? yep pretty much spot on byugro:ok also the number after the horses name is the number of days since its last run, so in this case Wyldello was 14 days. the 6 10-12 is the horses age and weight its carrying so again Wyldello is 6 years old and carrying 10stone 12 lbs.

Re: How to read horse ratings ?

yep pretty much spot on byugro:ok also the number after the horses name is the number of days since its last run, so in this case Wyldello was 14 days. the 6 10-12 is the horses age and weight its carrying so again Wyldello is 6 years old and carrying 10stone 12 lbs.
Thanks Carl! Didn't know about that number in front of horses name. Ty.

Re: How to read horse ratings ? Hi guys, If your looking at the Racing Post website, (and the screen shot suggests you are) they have a help page to aide you in reading their cards. here is a direct link to the help page: Racing Post Help - Cards Points 1 and 3 are the main ones of interest with the horse cards... Also, to understand Racing Posts Rating, there help file for that is here: Racing Post Help - Rating :ok

Hello oriental express! I'm not an expert but this is what I think I know: Form: recent race results 122-21 The finishing position in the races entered. Last one on the right. So the horse won last race, came 2nd in the previous one, ... '-' Another year. For example 122 were in 2006 and 21 in 2007. '0' means 10th or worse place in race. 'P' - Pulled Up 'F' - Fell '/' - Don't know In example: 9/4 Wyldello are the betting forecast odds for that horse. Did you ever bet on any sport? You do know what odds are don't you? I hope I helped you.
Wicked thanks for the explanation mate ! Yeah I know about the forecast odds, no idea why I highlighted it :unsure NOW im officially a punter lol :nana

• 2 months later...

Re: How to read horse ratings ? Hi there I got another question :D Using racingpost and looking at past data . eg

3 Feb 2000 3:40 Kelso Tote Bookmakers Handicap Hurdle Class E
When I click on the race it says in the title " Tote Bookmakers Handicap Hurdle (Class E) (Class 4)" Where did that Class 4 come from ? Is the Class 4 meant to stand for class E and how come for this race
1 Dec 2000 3:30 Exeter Exeter University Turf Club Conditional Jockeys' Novices' Handicap Hurdle Class F
3:30 Exeter University Turf Club Conditional Jockeys' Novices' Handicap Hurdle (Class F) (Class 4) why does it say class F and class 4 How would I differentiate whether its a class e class 4 between a class F class 4 because some race cards just say class 4 Could someone please clarify ? Thanks again.

The dash (-) in between figures separates this season from last.
I thought the dash indicated the start of a new year ? For example, if you look at Nicomedia form in the 13:40 at Lingfield 3-33321 The first 3 was 20th of Dec, then after the dash was 3rd of Jan.

Re: How to read horse ratings ? "while 0 normally indicates a placing out of the first three or four" Isn't 0 supposed to indicate a place with 2 figures? Like 10th, 11th and so on because it would be confusing if a horse is placed 11th on the last race people might thing it was 1st on the last 2 races. For example: 2976-0 Jayanjay - In the last the race the horse was placed 12th of 13 horses. Cheers Carl :ok

• 2 years later...

first post' date=' probably wrong thread, but as you are answering questions. What do the terms (bog) and (W/O the favourite.E/W) mean.[/quote'] :welcome This is quite an old thread so may've been best to start a new one with your questions - No probs at all though, just for future. :ok BOG means Best Odds Guaranteed. Some bookmakers offer BOG - this means if you take an early-bird price and the SP is bigger, they will pay you the bigger price. W/O the favourite means WithOut the favourite. A bookmaker may choose to ignore the favourite and offer prices as if that horse wasn't running. If you back a horse w/o the fav and it wins - you win. If your selections finishes 2nd to the fav - you win, as the favourite doesn't count in this market. Obviously the odds are shorter in the w/o fav market.

Re: How to read horse ratings ? welcome to the forum Spanex. 'bog' is an abbreviation 'best odds guaranteed' which is an offer most online bookies now offer. When you click on a horse to add it to your betslip you can either take the price at that moment in time, or can select to take SP (starting price) which is the price at the moment the race starts. What bog does, is allow you to take a price in the morning, and if the SP is bigger than the price you took, they will pay you at whichever price is biggest. 'w/o the fav' is a seperate market usually for a particular race where there is a heavily fancied runner that is odds on and very short in the betting. If that horse looks the most likely winner most people may avoid betting on the race as they think nothing can beat the short price favourite, so the bookies offer a seperate market where they offer you prices on the rest of the runners competiting without the favourite. You ignore the placing of the favourite in the actual race that is run and then look at the remaining positions of the other horses to see if you have won. E.g. this is the normal market (all made up prices but no need for precision for this example) Kauto Star 1/2 Denman 2/1 Barber's Shop 4/1 Madison du Berlais 10/1 Imperial Commander 20/1 Nenuphar Collonges 25/1 (each way terms 1/5 odds, 2 places) The betting without the favourite market may be Denman 4/5 Barber's Shop 2/1 Madison du berlais 5/1 Imperial Commander 10/1 Nenuphar Collonges 14/1 (each way terms 1/5 odds, 2 places) Say the final result of the race is.... 1) Kauto Star 2) Imperial Commander 3) Nenuhpar Collonges 4) Denman 5)Madison du Berlais 6) Barber's Shop ...you simply ignore Kauto Star and Imperial Commander is deemed the winner in this market. Nenuphar Collonges would be counted as placed and would win money for those that backed it each-way. hope that helps.