NBL All-Stars Game - (November 25th)

ads25

Re: NBL All-Stars Game - (November 25th) Game Preview off www.nbl.com.au The Aussie All-Stars are bracing themselves for a fired-up World All-Star side when the two teams clash at the Distinctive Homes Dome on Saturday. Melbourne Tigers' Chris Anstey says the imports are smarting from a heavy loss to the local boys last season and are looking to restore some pride. "I think they will be a little upset over last year, I think we beat them by 30-odd (points) last year," Anstey said. The league's MVP says the game holds plenty of interest for individual clubs with team-mates having a rare opportunity to compete against each other. "With the Tigers we've got myself and D-Mac (Darryl McDonald) playing for the Australians and Dave Thomas and Rashad (Tucker) for the Americans. So whoever wins gets bragging rights for the next 12 months," he said. "We've let D.T. have it for the last 12 months and he's pretty keen to turn the tables this year and we'll be trying to make sure that he doesn't." Townsville Crocodiles' Brad Newley agrees the Aussies' opponent will be hungry for success. "I know in years past the Aussies have come out and taken the title the last couple of times," Newley said. "The Americans will come out with a bit more pride this year because they've been beaten the last two years …they want to win." Perth Wildcat and World All-Star player Shawn Redhage says the game will be played in a 'fun atmosphere' but admits the imports were unhappy with the result last season. "Your competitive nature kicks in, you never like to lose and you kind of remember the Aussies blew us out last year," he said. "Hopefully quite a few of the guys remember that and hopefully we can rectify that." "Hopefully it's a good game and it will come down to a last second shot and the World team will hit to win the game - that would be perfect." Rivalries aside, the talented trio are looking forward to entertaining the crowd with some exciting and attacking basketball. Anstey said the players can play with freedom during the exhibition match. "It's nice to play in game where you can almost worry more about looking good and making some spectacular plays I guess instead of the end result," he said. "We won't be running many set plays, you'll see a lot more individual offence and defence because we haven't spent any time together." Newley is looking forward to compiling some impressive statistics, even if it draws some ribbing from his team-mates. "You don't want to hog the ball or shoot it every time which I was guilty of in my first game when I shot it 20-something times," Newley said. "I'll probably get accused of shooting a lot but that's just my nature." Meanwhile, Redhage said he was proud to be part of the Virgin Blue NBL All-Star Game. "It's definitely a great honour, you're amongst some of the best players in the league, anytime you get recognised for what you do it's definitely a good feeling," Redhage said. "We've got a lot of great players and a lot of players that can do some pretty spectacular things on the basketball court." Aussie All-Stars Starters Chris Anstey – Melbourne Tigers - Centre Joe Ingles – South Dragons – Small Forward Sam MacKinnon – Brisbane Bullets – Power Forward Darryl McDonald – Melbourne Tigers – Point Guard Brad Newley – Townsville Crocodiles – Shooting Guard Aussie All-Stars Reserves Ben Pepper – New Zealand Breakers CJ Bruton – Brisbane Bullets Tony Ronaldson – Perth Wildcats Paul Rogers – Perth Wildcats Martin Cattalini – Cairns Taipans World All-Stars Starters Larry Abney – Townsville Crocodiles - Centre Rashad Tucker – Melbourne Tigers – Small Forward Shawn Redhage – Perth Wildcats – Power Forward Cortez Groves – Wollongong Hawks – Point Guard Willie Farley – Adelaide 36ers - Shooting Guard World All-Stars Reserves Nick Horvath – Adelaide 36ers Carlos Powell – New Zealand Breakers Mike Helms – Singapore Slingers Dave Thomas – Melbourne Tigers Kevin Owens – Cairns Taipans