Rugby League: Tri Nations

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations :loon

NZ stripped of Tri-Nations points
_42254856_fien203.jpg Fien was born in Australia and played in the State of Origin
New Zealand have been fined two points by the Rugby League International Federation for fielding an ineligible player in the Tri-Nations. Australian-born Nathan Fien, 27, has been banned from the rest of the tournament after playing in matches against Australia and Great Britain. Hooker Fien was picked as he had a Kiwi-born great-grandmother, but eligibility only covers grandparents. The verdict puts Australia in the final and makes GB favourites to join them. videosport.gifHighlights: New Zealand 18-14 Great Britain After hearing the verdict, the New Zealand Rugby League said it accepted the decision and would not be taking any further action. "The NZRL accepts it made an error and will not challenge the decision," said a statement released by NZRL general manager Peter Cordtz. "Nathan Fien acted honestly at all times in his disclosures to the NZRL. "Accordingly, Nathan Fien had no charge to answer; nor did any other person." Fien's eligibility was ruled on by a committee consisting of Australia's Colin Love (chairman), NZRL's Selwyn Bennett, Rugby Football League executive chairman Richard Lewis and National Rugby League chief executive David Gallop.
o.gif606: DEBATE Surely New Zealand could have found a hooker with actual Kiwi ancestry? Ian 606: Have your say
The NZRL knew of Fien's eligibility problems on 19 October, two days before the second clash with the Kangaroos in Melbourne. Love described the hearing as "one of the darkest days" in his time in charge of the ARL. Australia have now qualified for the Tri-Nations final with four points from just two of their four group games, both wins over New Zealand. The Kiwis and the Lions now have no points, with New Zealand's 18-14 win in Christchurch last Saturday discounted. New Zealand only have one group match left while the Lions have three - one against the Kiwis and two against Australia, the first of which is in Sydney on Saturday. Fien, who played for Queensland in State of Origin five years ago, was called into the New Zealand squad after the withdrawal of David Solomana. The 27-year-old made his debut as a substitute in the 20-15 defeat by Australia and made his first start in Saturday's 18-14 win over Great Britain. In two months' time, Fien would qualify to play for the Kiwis through residency as he plays for the New Zealand Warriors.

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations Handicaps for Saturday's test in Sydney.... Australia (-18pts) vs Great Britain (20pts) All I can say is 20pts is a big handicap to cover in International Rugby.....:unsure Great Britain: Paul Wellens, Brian Carney, Keith Senior, Kirk Yeaman, Leon Pryce, Danny McGuire, Sean Long, Stuart Fielden, Terry Newton, Jamie Peacock (captain), Gareth Ellis, Gareth Hock, Sean O'Loughlin. Interchange: James Roby, Adrian Morley, Lee Gilmour, Jon Wilkin, Gareth Raynor (one to be omitted). Australia: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Jamie Lyon, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (captain), Ben Hornby, Mark O'Meley, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Cameron Smith, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite, Antonio Kaufusi. All thoughts welcome :ok

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations

Handicaps for Saturday's test in Sydney.... Australia (-18pts) vs Great Britain (20pts) All I can say is 20pts is a big handicap to cover in International Rugby.....:unsure Great Britain: Paul Wellens, Brian Carney, Keith Senior, Kirk Yeaman, Leon Pryce, Danny McGuire, Sean Long, Stuart Fielden, Terry Newton, Jamie Peacock (captain), Gareth Ellis, Gareth Hock, Sean O'Loughlin. Interchange: James Roby, Adrian Morley, Lee Gilmour, Jon Wilkin, Gareth Raynor (one to be omitted). Australia: Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate, Mark Gasnier, Jamie Lyon, Greg Inglis, Darren Lockyer (captain), Ben Hornby, Mark O'Meley, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke O'Donnell. Interchange: Cameron Smith, Anthony Tupou, Brent Kite, Antonio Kaufusi. All thoughts welcome :ok
I agree. That is a large handicap. We looked ok for the most of last week, once again our lack of quality on the last tackle cost us but having had a week to look at that we should be better in that area this week. McGuire's out so Raynor comes in on the wing with Pryce in the halves which I like because I thought Pryce's selection last week was a kind of I want him in my team but where can I put him sort of selection. He and Long had lots of joy for Saints this season so that should be a positive despite McGuire being so good. Think I'll take the +20 with Betdirect :ok

Re: Rugby League: Tri Nations

Nice effort in the 1st half from GB's finest. Gutted when they gave away the interception but fair do's to them they battled back. Game on in the 2nd half and those GB handicap bets are looking pretty good right now.
Lets not hold our breaths too early on the handicaps, after all this is GB after all. Willy Mason = :@ + :spank Sean Long = :zzz