In-running Horse Trading Strategy

Hi guys, i think this will be the first system i have posted up on here, so go easy please. anyway, i have just done a bit of number crunching in excel of the horse data from http://data.betfair.com owing to the size of the files, i have only tested the period from 28/8 to 3/9, and for UK/Irish racing only.. and anyway, as you are probably aware, the majority of the trading guides written on trading the nags before the off advise you to close your position before the off, so that you have no position in running as this is too unpredictable.. not so i say, at least based on this albeit small sample. of 456 horses that last traded at 3.0 or higher right before the off in this period, a rather impressive 305 traded at under half those odds. laying twice the stake at this halved price in running should generate approximately + 305 pts on all green screens, and -151 pts on those that didnt trade lower and therefore lost the backing stake for a toal of +154 and a yield of 33%!! had anyone else tried anything similar in practice? it does look pretty promising, and requires no knowledge of form etc.. ps, the higher the SP, the more likely it is to trade at half the odds - ie for those that start at over 100 on the exchanges, 89% at some point in the race trade at half those odds. might require fruther investigation FC

Re: In-running Horse Trading Strategy

Very interesting :ok. How are you selecting which horse to follow? I haven't looked at in-running horse data yet. I presume the market is quite volatile if the stats you quote prove to be the long term norm? Does the distance have much of an effect?
well, the stats i quoted in my first post are on all horses. im literally selecting the horses for this test at random up to prices of about 20.0. obviously, i could select multiple horses in a race, but as im not actually placing the bets at the moment, it would be difficult for me to see if i would have been matched on multiple horses. the market, like all capital markets is hugely volatile because of the fear and greed present in all humans.. this strategy is just trying to capture the "noise" during the race. I havent yet looked into distance yet, but bearing in mind that the majority of 1.01 "gubbings" occur over the shorter distances, i would have thought the short races would be more profitable? need to check. fc

Don't you have to be aware of reduction factors affecting backers and layers differently? The 4.10 has a total reduction factor of 27.3% at the moment. Or have the prices already taken that into account?
as far as i am aware, the data on the betfair site is quoted after all adjustments for reduction factors, so this shouldnt be an issue.. sample size, however, of the backtest, could be..

I noticed that betfair SP was around 12 for Qik Dip' date=' and almost immediately it went in-play the price dipped to around 7 (presumably your money), and then it just went up as the nag was presumably lagging behind. Is this what usually happens, and what causes the early (large) fluctuations?[/quote'] not my money mate.. only paper trading at the mo.. will give this 50 horses til im satisfied by the test. not looking too great at the mo though. no idea what causes the fluctuations. you have to consider what is matched though - an awful lot of bots will put up ridiculously low/high prices hoping to be matched in error..and i doubt if anyone took that 7 at the start. (he did trade down to it later in the race)