Australian A-League Round 2

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 Tend to agree with you Miguel on the "used and moved on" quote with regard to Dwight Yorke transfer....It augers well for a Melbourne victory tomorrow night one would think...I don't know enough about the Sydney team to tell whether it will have an effect tomorrow night on their chances, or gel them together and make them more determined to perform well without Yorke...See this a lot in AFL football where teams are expected not to perform well, and they play like champions and score an upset win after adversity.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 Anyways...There is money to be had before the Melbourne game tomorrow night, and that is in New Zealand tomorrow afternoon in what should be a comfortable away win to Adelaide. New Zealnd Knights vs Adelaide Utd 2005/2006 Round 6 NZ Knights 1 - 2 Adelaide United Round 13 Adelaide United 1 - 0 NZ Knights Round 20 NZ Knights 1 - 1 Adelaide United Table last year Pos. ...Team ..........G.....W ..D...L....F....A.... P 1. Adelaide United ....24...13...5...6...36..30...44 8. New Zealand Kgts ..21...1...3..17...15..47....6 Home ....Team ..........G...W...D..L.....F...A.....P 8. New Zealand Kgts ..10...0...2....8...11..25....2 Away ..Team..............G.....W..D...L....F...A....P 1. Adelaide United ......12....8...1...3...18..13...25 Interestingly enough, the Knights performed well against Adelaide in each of there 3 meetings last year. The Knights had a 0-0 draw last week against the Jets and are showing signs of improvement, especially after the good showing of the Jets tonight. Adelaide were beaten by Melbourne last week but were not disgraced and created plenty of chances to score, and should be too good here. Simply put, I feel Adelaide is a far superior team than the New Zealand Knights and are currently showing $2-00 for a win at Sportingbet and $1-95 at Centrebet, one has to back them don't they at those odds? I think the Knights will be lucky to score against Adelaide's defence, although they may be able to conjur one, but Adelaide are certainly capable of scoring more goals than the Knights to win. So for me Adelaide Utd straight out at $2-00 is also great value for last years top team against last years bottom team.

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 I agree with you on Adelaide beejay, at $2.00 how can you go past one of the leagues best sides against one of the leagues worst? Going by last years results, New Zealand at home holds no advantage which it probably should considering its overseas in a different country for the away teams to travel. I saw adelaides game last week against Melbourne and for most of the match their defence was pretty solid, however on some occasions they can get caught napping at the back and thats when Melbourne attacked scoring 2 goals, but could easily have been 4 or 5. Being the second match of the season for Adelaide and their second trip on the road, Adelaide wont want to slip up and i dont think they will. They have too much class for this new zealand knights team. Having seen a bit of new zealands match last week, they just look like a bunch of misfits, which they basically are. If you look at the amount of changes they made to their list to last years squad you will see what i mean. So in conclusion Adelaide to have too much class. Adelaide 2-0 or 3-1

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 ^^^^ Fully agree with this, Adelaide will take the win here, the key to Melbourne last week and I think for the season is their running at the first player to receive the ball from a turn over, Melbourne used their superior fitness in the last two weeks to slow down and pressure the counter attack, and in both weeks it have stifled their opponents chances to score goals. Adelaide was made to look fairly average, I know that New Zealand do not have the disiplan or the skill to stop the Adelaide counter attack, nor the ability to break down the Adelaide defence. Basically I'm trying to say, despite a poor start Adelaide are the real deal again this season and will beat New Zealand with ease tomorrow.

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 In regards to the Sydney-Melbourne game. I wouldnt go rushing out and laying high stakes on Melbourne purely cause Dwight Yorke is out. He is one player in what is already a very very good team without him. Alex Brosque is a very big out also and i reckon his loss could be a bigger impact than that of dwight yorke. His drive in the midfield and attacking options will be missed This match will be played at a neutral venue for both teams, being the telstra dome which has a capacity for 50,000. Although they wont get anywhere near that, a crowd of around 30,000 is expected which will be an A-League record, but considering its such a big ground the pitch will be a long way away from the fences meaning the home fans wont be as intimidating to the away side. The surface at this venue is also shithouse to say the least, so i wonder if this will make an impact? Melbourne last week played very well, they disected one of the best defences in the league and if Sydney dont be careful it will happen to them too. Sydney are well known to be a very attacking team and could stretch melbourne defence, but with Yorke & Brosque out this may be a tougher task for them to achieve. Last week in the Melbourne match, new signing Allesandro and Victory captain Kevin Muscat were involved in a push & shove on the field over an argument just after the half time break. Not sure of the reason of the indescretion, but Allesandro was inspirational last week in the first half setting up the first goal, so hopefully this doesnt put him off his game. Apparently they have since made up, but thats not the sort of press Melbourne need in the lead up to a big game. I think the best option would be to go Melbourne for the straight out win purely because of the great odds being quoted, but it would only be medium stakes. A draw is the biggest threat i would think Score prediction from me is Melbourne 2-1 with a cover of a 1-1 draw Good Luck Adam

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 Excellent summary Adam on tonights game and you are right regards Muscat and Allesandro having an altercation...I believe it stems from the 3 new Brazilians having an attacking flair but while its fine to attack, they must be held accountable defensively...Muscat as captain was apparantly letting Alesandro know that he must defend better down the left as they were being left open repeatedly...Think it was just a language barriier type misunderstanding and the manager said it had all been sorted out...He said the Brazilians are naturally attacking, its part of there game and he just needs to instil some more defensive aspects to their game...Storm in a teacup from all reports and don't think Allesandro liked being taken off at half time either after playing so well. 2005/2006 Round 1 Sydney FC 1 - 1 Melbourne Victory Round 8 Melbourne Victory 5 - 0 Sydney FC Round 15 Sydney FC 2 - 1 Melbourne Victory I am not betting on the game myself as something tells me that Sydney can defy the odds and sneak a win or at least draw the game, not sure why, think from my AFL experience the Aussie underdog can often get up when not expected to, and Sydney have proven they are a great team, with emphasis on the "Team", even without Yorke...The Mariners played better against Sydney last week and probably should have won, but Sydney still grafted a 1-0 win...Melbourne has a few new signings and they are still learning to play together...Everything points to a Melbourne win though and bear in mind they did win the corresponding fixture last season 5-0 in Melbourne, and Sydney did lose 4 on the road. So think I will just barrack for a Melbourne win and hope for a good game. Melbourne is around $2-35 for the home win and Sydney around $2-75 for the away win, so if you like either team you are getting good odds...I can't make up my mind so am not betting, but don't let me put you off getting on the Melbourne bandwagon if you like them, they are a big chance. Good luck for all those on Melbourne!!!

Re: Australian A-League Round 2

ah welll - cest la vie...... Knights get a last minute goal... :\:\:\ Still - great work guys, Keep it up, the discussion is excellent! :ok (*ps - I see Beejayville made the scroller!!! )
Eeeks no Cest la Vie for me cos I had Adelaide going into everything...Struth, maybe they are Adelaide's bogey side cos they have scored 4 points against them now in 4 games...Adelaide havn't scored in 2 games and that's only the Knights 2nd ever win, go figure...Oh well least I got value and lost :) Mmm what's the scroller?

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 Full Time New Zealand 1 - 0 Adelaide Just watched the game on tv and what an upset! Cant believe New Zealand won that one, but they thoroughly deserved it. They were sensational, they always had Adelaide on the back foot and i feel the scoreline may of flattered Adelaide a little. Could quite easily have been 2-0 or 3-0. Not sure whats up with Adelaide, they seem very slow when going forward and hardly ever looked dangerous. This was the same case in the match against Melbourne last week. They just seem a completely different team than last season. After only 1 week of A-League action we already may have a goal of the year contender. Buari's goal for New Zealand today was just sublime, he had a shot from outside the yardbox and curved it in over the Adelaide keepers head. So in conclusion, New Zealand may not be as bad as first thought. They have plenty of attacking options, Devine seems to be a very capable forward who could do a bit of damage this season. They are very quick in the midfield, while on the other hand Adelaide seem very slow. They never seem dangerous when they attack and if it wasnt for their strong defence, they could of been burried today

Full Time New Zealand 1 - 0 Adelaide Just watched the game on tv and what an upset! Cant believe New Zealand won that one, but they thoroughly deserved it. They were sensational, they always had Adelaide on the back foot and i feel the scoreline may of flattered Adelaide a little. Could quite easily have been 2-0 or 3-0. Not sure whats up with Adelaide, they seem very slow when going forward and hardly ever looked dangerous. This was the same case in the match against Melbourne last week. They just seem a completely different team than last season. After only 1 week of A-League action we already may have a goal of the year contender. Buari's goal for New Zealand today was just sublime, he had a shot from outside the yardbox and curved it in over the Adelaide keepers head. So in conclusion, New Zealand may not be as bad as first thought. They have plenty of attacking options, Devine seems to be a very capable forward who could do a bit of damage this season. They are very quick in the midfield, while on the other hand Adelaide seem very slow. They never seem dangerous when they attack and if it wasnt for their strong defence, they could of been burried today
Thanx for the review Ads and explains a bit...maybe need to consider this a new season and not rely too much on last years form so much...The Jets were pretty good last night after there draw with the Knights, so the form has held up...Im gonna have to get real with my times so I don't miss any more live games, that's twice in 2 weeks now...Still can't believe Adelaide lost, but past games have shown the Knights are always competitive against them even though they have only won 2 in 23 games. Must have been an upset cos we all tipped Adelaide :wall

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 Didn't watch the match myself, but I was shocked to see Adelaide losing. I guess new players, new team, new year, new spirit for the NZ Knight. Oh well lets hope Melbourne Victory roll on and do the job today :)

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 Thought the odds of $6-24 for the double of Melbourne Victory to win tonight into Central Coast Mariners to win tomorrow was too good to refuse. They are both two of the top 4 sides and both playing well, and the odds, well anything paying over $6 for a couple of the higher rated teams in the league to win is fairly good value to me...Let's see shall we!

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 Melbourne Victory Vs Sydney FC tonight is now underway and being played in front of a 40,000 plus crowd which is unheard of for a domestic soccer comp in Oz. There was only 7,000 or so at Newcastle last night for the Jets/Roar game, and it shows that Melbourne is indeed the sports loving capitol of Australia. Currently 0-0 after 4min and Melbourne doing all the attacking. I am listening live on http://www.sen.com.au/ Just click on the little radio on the top right to open link into Media Player

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 HT at Telstra Stadium: Melbourne Victory 2 - 1 Sydney City FC 8' D. Allsopp (MV) GOAL 1-0 11' K. Muscat (pen.) (MV) GOAL 2-0 14' M. Rudan (SC) - RED CARD 18' I. Fyfe (SC) GOAL 2-1 Half time and it appears that Sydney have settled down and calmed the Melbourne 15 minute onslaught. Rudan sent off for Sydney after 14m and it seemed to add some steel to Sydney's game as from all reports they are playing much better now and it is an even contest. The crowd tonight is the highest ever crowd for a domestic soccer game in Australia...Big congrats to the sports mad Melbourne public :cheers

Re: Australian A-League Round 2 :clap:clap:clap Hopefully this keeps up :) Full Stake and I would hate it to see 2 late equalizer to happen. Btw did Melbourne fully dominate the match now beejay ? I don't have foxtel so I can't see the match :(

:clap:clap:clap Hopefully this keeps up :) Full Stake and I would hate it to see 2 late equalizer to happen. Btw did Melbourne fully dominate the match now beejay ? I don't have foxtel so I can't see the match :(
Im at work at the moment and luckily it is very quiet so can listen to the radio. I am listening live on http://www.sen.com.au/ just follow link on top right if you want to listen to it live. From what I can gather from broadcast, not looking likely for 2 late goals from Sydney, more likely to be another melbourne goal before that happens. Just reported there was 39,730 people at the game, great crowd considering Victory's home ground only holds about 15,000 or so. Hopefully Melbourne will keep it going cos I have the double at $6-24 into the Mariners tomorrow and will be a sweet collect if they can get up too.