Australian A-League Round 1

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 Couple of good games on two day. On one hand you have a game between two teams expected to be finals bound, and on the other hand two teams expected to finish near bottom. I think Sydney will win today, but it wont be easy against a strong central coast mariners side. Will be very interesting to see how Alex Brosque performs for sydney at his new team, he has become somwhat of a high flyer in recent times doing big things in the national team. Central Coast have also just signed up Tony Vidmar so defensively they could be very strong. The other game between New Zealand and Newcastle i can only see a Newcastle win. The thing about these two teams is that they have both made wholesale changes to their teams, both have basically got in about 10+ players each and moved on about 10+ players so it will be hard to tell exactly how good each team is until a few games in. Id say Newcastle at this stage though

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 FT: New Zealand Knights 0 - 0 Newcastle Jets Missed the game as I got my start time up the schaissenhausen but a point at home for the Knights and they would be happy with that after last season. Only seen the last 20 minutes and from what I seen I'm glad I missed the first 70 minutes. There is a huge class gap between top and bottom in the A League, but the lower sides are capable of some good results which will most likely throw up some strange results throughout the season. Nil all probably a fair reflection of where they are both at and both teams should improve a bit as season progresses

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 HT: Sydney FC 0 - 0 CC Mariners Was looking forward to this game but hasn't lived up to to my expectations at the moment, found the Melb/Adel game more entertaining. Mariners clearly the better side IMO as they are playing more as a team and are more cohesive, Sydney playing pretty football with little substance, and Mariners should have scored already but for a great save from Sydney keeper. Still, could go either way in the 2nd half, Sydney has the class but are not working hard enough, and the Mariners look the team most likely to score, at this stage. Maybe the half time break will wake Sydney up.

Re: Australian A-League Round 1 FT: Sydney FC 1 - 0 CC Mariners 52m I.Fyfe Sydney win by a solitary goal and it was an excellent strike by Fyfe. Sydney played with much more purpose in the 2nd half but I felt the Mariners should have took the points, but you have to take your chances when presented, and the Mariners didn't. That's the difference between winning and losing, taking your chances. Conclusions: Sydney are very clinical and have a top defence and will be hard to beat wherever they play. The Mariners will win there share of games too and can be relied upon to give a solid performance every time they take the park