How to play OMAHA

Dodger

Thought I'd bob this up in plain English (hole/community cards confused me!) You get 4 cards all to yourself in Omaha, instead of the usual 2 for Texas. You must always use 2 of your own cards, (not just one of yours to make a flush or three of yours to form a full house)...it is always 2 of your cards combined with 3 from the table giving you your usual 5 card poker hand. Everything else goes as in Texas, same betting times and same card rankings...just remember you have to always use exactly 2 of your own cards. and that's it...easy..isn't it? So you get dealt JJJJ...looks lovely, but what have you got? A load of rubbish! You are playing this hand with only a pair of jacks. Nice starting hands can include high pairs or Ace flush draws or even a high run, say TJQK. The more your cards go together, the more powerful your hand will be. For instance you might get As Ac 7h 8d. Your aces are strong, but not as strong as in Texas and you have a lower straight possibility. Not the strongest of hands...but if you had As Ac 7s 8c, then you now have added two nice nut flush draws and your hand becomes massively stronger. Always be wary when a pair hits the board...this game is swarming with full houses and flushes...any pair hits the board and you must be aware that the full house may already be out there. And if it is you who have made the full house, just be additionally wary that there may well be a higher full house than yours. Omaha Hi/Lo In this game the pot is split between the high winner and the low winner. A low hand in this is easy to remember...5 different cards from A2345678 will give you a low hand. When looking at the low hand it doesn't matter if it is a straight or a flush, we are only looking at the numbers on the cards (ace=1). So A2345 is nut low, then A2346, A2356 etc right up to 45678. 60% of hands have no low hand, as 3 low cards are required on the board and this often doesn't happen. For instance the flop is JQK and you had gone in heavy preflop with A234...there cannot now be a low hand as 3 cannot hit the board with only 2 cards left to come. Well I hope this is of some use to somebody...good luck anybody who tries the upcoming Omaha games for the first time:hope .

Guest gazza271

Re: How to play OMAHA

I played my first game the other day - had a 10 J J in hand - the board showed a 10 and an J. Full house - I thought. All - in. Doh!!! :lol Lost to a straight.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Same here, tried a few hands with play money and after getting premium hands seeing the money swept to other players and WTF !!! Its gonna be chaos :lol Thanks for the post Dodger

I played my first game the other day - had a 10 J J in hand - the board showed a 10 and an J. Full house - I thought. All - in. Doh!!! :lol Lost to a straight.
i still dont get it:unsure how is that not a full house?

Talking of Omaha, there is a free play MTT starting in 16 minutes on Pokerstars that I'm going to play. :ok
And all the world over each nation's the same They've simply no notion of playing the game They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won And they practice before hand which spoils all the fun :@

Re: How to play OMAHA one little tip is to play suited connectors more in omaha because a pair or two pair usually wont win much ,so your looking for a straight minimum to win a pot usually. just remember that as long as your 4 cards dont blank each other out you should be ok. so dont play 3 of a kind or 3 of the same suit if you can help it. low straights are also dangerous as its more likely that the higher ones are out there than in holdem so dont go mad on them . low flushes are similar theres always a greater chance of getting caught with a second nut hand in omaha . im really looking forward to friday as i dont play much omaha and its a really good game to get your brain going as its a lot more complex than holdem ,hope all the omaha virgins enjoy it:ok

Re: How to play OMAHA I presume I was just unlucky here and did have a strong hand? (the second nuts)? Anyway - I don't care - I'm still going in last 455 and Mr V was out in 826th :P

PokerStars Game #5401388965: Tournament #26988637, 300+20 Omaha Pot Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2006/06/29 - 11:57:18 (ET) Table '26988637 18' 9-max Seat #2 is the button Seat 1: up2u2 (1075 in chips) Seat 2: pl-GaF (7215 in chips) Seat 3: coolj772002 (1225 in chips) Seat 4: vetteman06 (1940 in chips) Seat 5: sjj1960 (3345 in chips) Seat 6: Irishman58 (5670 in chips) Seat 7: lookr716 (1455 in chips) is sitting out Seat 8: E Hizzle (855 in chips) Seat 9: LeeSibb1 (1325 in chips) coolj772002: posts small blind 15 vetteman06: posts big blind 30 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to pl-GaF [2c 6c 3h Tc] sjj1960 said, "nh" E Hizzle said, "ty" sjj1960: calls 30 LeeSibb1 said, "vnh" Irishman58: calls 30 lookr716: folds E Hizzle said, "lucky river but thanks" E Hizzle: calls 30 LeeSibb1: folds up2u2: calls 30 sjj1960 said, "i screwed up anyways - was counting 3 out of my hand lol" pl-GaF: calls 30 coolj772002: calls 15 sjj1960 said, "guess I need some coffee" vetteman06: checks *** FLOP *** [3c Td 9s] coolj772002: bets 120 LeeSibb1 said, "lol" vetteman06: calls 120 sjj1960: calls 120 Irishman58: calls 120 E Hizzle: calls 120 up2u2: folds pl-GaF: calls 120 *** TURN *** [3c Td 9s] [Th] coolj772002: checks vetteman06: bets 300 sjj1960: calls 300 Irishman58: raises 1830 to 2130 E Hizzle: calls 705 and is all-in pl-GaF: raises 4935 to 7065 and is all-in coolj772002: folds vetteman06: folds sjj1960: folds Irishman58: calls 3390 and is all-in *** RIVER *** [3c Td 9s Th] [Kd] *** SHOW DOWN *** Irishman58: shows [9h As 2d Ts] (a full house, Tens full of Nines) pl-GaF: shows [2c 6c 3h Tc] (a full house, Tens full of Threes) Irishman58 collected 9630 from side pot E Hizzle: shows [2h Ah Ad 7d] (two pair, Aces and Tens) Irishman58 collected 3645 from main pot *** SUMMARY *** Total pot 13275 Main pot 3645. Side pot 9630. | Rake 0 Board [3c Td 9s Th Kd] Seat 1: up2u2 folded on the Flop Seat 2: pl-GaF (button) showed [2c 6c 3h Tc] and lost with a full house, Tens full of Threes Seat 3: coolj772002 (small blind) folded on the Turn Seat 4: vetteman06 (big blind) folded on the Turn Seat 5: sjj1960 folded on the Turn Seat 6: Irishman58 showed [9h As 2d Ts] and won (13275) with a full house, Tens full of Nines Seat 7: lookr716 folded before Flop (didn't bet) Seat 8: E Hizzle showed [2h Ah Ad 7d] and lost with two pair, Aces and Tens Seat 9: LeeSibb1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Re: How to play OMAHA This just shows how bloody dangerous it can be to have the ''second nuts''. Look at it this way...if 10 players get 4 cards each and 5 show on the board, then nearly every card in the pack is out there somewhere and the nuts seem to be there so, so often. Can't wait for friday...could be one of the funniest ever Omaha games...I hope! One last note...hands are still won with single pairs sometimes...just much less often than in Texas...oh, two last notes... bluffing is a terribly dangerous game too! er Three last notes...damn! nobody asked for a spanish inquisition!

Is someone with T K or T 9 in their 4 hole cards the only way you can lose here?
I think so...... When I say the second nuts - that's when the money went in after the turn........ Appreciate most of the cards are out there, but the probability of the only 10 and one of the 3 remaining 9's being in the SAME hand isn't that strong is it? Actually, come to think of it - not that remote at all!!! Probability is one of my opponents has a T, then upto 3 of my opponents have a 9 ....... jeeeeez, I'm only betting the nuts from now..........

you had about the worst hole cards imaginable tho you should have dumped them pre-flop :)
Er yeah - accepted - at this stage though I think I was playing for a low hand, not realising it was only high hands that counted!!!! :$

Re: How to play OMAHA :lol:lol:lol fantastic KK as well It's true you're very likely to be ahead, so unlucky in that sense, but by the same token you're not going to get that bet called by much other than a better boat, no straights on, rainbow board - i'd be folding an orphan set to that bet, or would certainly need strong kickers, and if I had the kickers decent chance of sucking out to a bigger boat anyway.