New player

jgadefelth

Re: New player

Hi! i am new at this i now the basics and i have tryed some low limit tables but where do i go from here i whant to leanr more about strategies more and more and what is the freerolls ? Best Regards John
Have a look at some of the threads started by Damo http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/member.php?u=8228 they may be a bit ahead of what you want but they make bloody good reading, as for freerolls, just check out the poker sites themselves or google "FREE ROLLS" C.R.

Re: New player Welcome to the poker bit of PL :) (see you're already a regular elsewhere).... My advice for what it's worth, since there's so many freerolls available, is just to play and not worry too much about strategy - you'll pick up good play quicker from playing than reading, and the stuff you do read will make more sense if you've played a bit, just try and actively think about the game while you're playing......with all the freerolls about you can't lose anything doing this, maybe stick a tenner in mansion so you can play the 1c tourneys since they're good prizes for the size of the field.... beyond that just stick about and read threads as they turn up, lots of great players here, and (unlike most other poker forums) a great spirit with regards to encouraging each other to improve etc Edit: Just saw that 'what is freerolls' bit - is just a tournament that's free to enter, but has real cash prizes, sites run them to attract members. The best ones are all listed in the stickied daily thread.

Re: New player Yes i am thinking of trying some freerolls i have tryed to play at some low limit table before but it dont go my why so i lost a small fortune but learn some like never ever bluff at this level :) i have read some basic also but it is more in to 10 people tables not 6 as i prefer to play. for example what startinghands do you have at a 6 person table ? Best Regards John

Re: New player play as many freerolls as you can its the way i learnt ive never read a book on poker but learnt percentages of hitting flushes etc by simply playing thosands of hands if you can try and play tourneys with a decent prize then youll get a more realistic game and not just all in lotterys

Re: New player If you're dead set on getting a book I'd suggest 'winning at low limit holdem' by lee jones....whether you're playing fixed limit or not. Is the single best book out there IMO to help you understand percentages, position, pot odds etc in such a way that it'll be second nature when you're done. Don't think many people have taken me up on this recommendation thinking it's limit specific and they wanna play NL, but limit is the underlying language of NL, like learning grammar so you can write a book. That's only if your dead set on reading something tho - said earlier, and totally agree with fenners, that playing is the best way to learn.

Re: New player You get two types of freeroll - one is a genuine freeroll - open to everyone - the other requires raked hands. Suggest you stick to the genuine freerolls in the early days!!! The best value ones will be highlighted in this forum!!! For regular ones - there are the Blue Square Bankroll Booster, Sporting Odds Safety Net, Virgin $50 - all 3 are every night (they're not the best value - but a good starting point for a regular game). Mansion - a new site - has some phenomenal value at the moment - for $0.01 you can buy in to $500 games in the evening or $50 games in the morning, or from time to time Poker Dome Qualifiers - if you make a small deposit with them, your money will go a long long way...... A couple of good threads for you: How to Start Out in Poker without risking your own cash Stages of Development Good Luck :ok

Re: New player So far as strategy goes - there are a number of different ways you can play - but for beginners, it is almost universally agreed you should develop a good TAG game, You can then bring in other aspects to your game when you have this mastered. TAG means Tight Aggressive. Tight means that you have extremely strict starting hand requirements and will fold the vast majority (maybe as much as 85-90 % at first) of hands. Aggressive means that when you play, you raise rather than flat call. Pre flop, raises should be between 3 and 5 times the big blind.

Re: New player yeah fair point, and i do agree with you they're the bible of tournament play, best mtt books out there by a country mile......nevertheless, if he's totally new to the game, i think jones book is a great place to start regardless of his game choice, to grasp the idea of betting patterns and value and stuff, with a view to reading harrington after if mtt's are his thing

Re: New player I am also a relatively new player and all i have been doing is playing these daily freerolls and although i am yet to win one yet i am already noticing a huge improvement in my game and dont feel that i am far off winning one soon. I have mainly been playing the GoalPoker freerolls but have also found Spin Palace Poker to be a good place aswell.

Re: New player Cheers Chels I would say that the best thing you can do when first starting is to PLAY PLAY PLAY and READ READ READ dead easy really :) oh and post questions and thoughts and hand histories, and ask loads of questions - folks here are friendly and will answer politely (most of the time ;)) Nice to have you here and good luck:ok Damo

Have a look at some of the threads started by Damo http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/member.php?u=8228 they may be a bit ahead of what you want but they make bloody good reading, as for freerolls, just check out the poker sites themselves or google "FREE ROLLS" C.R.

Re: New player Good to watch Pokernightlive too - they show everyones cards there, so you can see hwat people are playing with. The experts can offer some great advice too :ok (and you can even play against them, then hear them commentate on your game afterwards). Sky channel 843 or live feed on the net - broadcasts from 10pm - 2AM BST daily

Re: New player "low limit" is basically a term to describe cash games played for the smallest stakes available. Maybe you are talking about "Limit Hold em" where the number of bets are limited each round. Limit Hold 'em is not considered to be as good as No Limit, but I think there is a different strategy to it. I like it.