Cash Game Advice ?

^Newbie^

Recently , i have been playing in cash games trying to take advantage of the poker room's sign up bonus . However , i seems to have a problem . I seem to do pretty well in the $0.25/$0.5 cash tables . The aggression level is just nice for me . However , on the $0.5/$1 cash tables , there seems to be far way too much agression , as a result , i folded quite a fair bit of marginal hands away . Even when i had AJ , A9 , A10 , i would not be tempted to call them . Suspected they had AK , AQ or even big pairs . Is my playing style on the $0.5/$1 acceptable ? I went to the $1/$2 cash tables once and found it was extremely difficult to play in . players down there seems to be raising with "supposed big hands" , i guess i'm lacking of experience and guts to play in those kind of tables . Any advice for me in the higher limits tables like the $0.5/$1 and the $1/$2 ones ? Would appreciate some good advice from fellow plers . :cheers :cheers :cheers

Re: Cash Game Advice ? from my own experience in the higher limit cash games the aggressiveness increases with the blinds because they become worth stealing time wise. playing an aggressive player on cash and in a tournament is the same, you have 2 choices: 1. wait for the big ones and slow play, they WILL bet into you 2. play even more aggressively back: they are bluffing a large % of the time so if you can overplay a marginal pair they will fold if you can do 1 and 2 at the same time, then you'll get them personally i like the $1/$2 tables. easy to spot seperate playing styles and very little bad play

Re: Cash Game Advice ?

I seem to do pretty well in the $0.25/$0.5 cash tables . The aggression level is just nice for me .
if you are doing pretty well, why do you feel the need to step up a level or 2?
Any advice for me in the higher limits tables like the $0.5/$1 and the $1/$2 ones ?
stay away from them until you have a bigger bankroll and feel comfortable with bigger raises, one of the easiest tells on these tables is someone who is playing tight through fear of loss ideally for cash games you want a bankroll of 1000 x bb and your buyins should be 10% of that, that gives you the freedom to play hands and allows for variance over a period of time best of luck with it all and let us know how you get on every now and again!

if you are doing pretty well, why do you feel the need to step up a level or 2? stay away from them until you have a bigger bankroll and feel comfortable with bigger raises, one of the easiest tells on these tables is someone who is playing tight through fear of loss ideally for cash games you want a bankroll of 1000 x bb and your buyins should be 10% of that, that gives you the freedom to play hands and allows for variance over a period of time best of luck with it all and let us know how you get on every now and again!
Reason why i need to move up to level 2 is because some of the sign-up bonuses require you to play at a higher limit . Dream poker requires you to play $1/$2 . I hit $200 with their $10 no deposit sign-up . Due to curiousity purposes , i sat down at the $1/$2 and got thumped . Not too good isn't it ? After all , its free money so i can't really complain . Normally i do max buy ins in the tables i am playing at . This is to prevent someone from bullying me off the pot .

Reason why i need to move up to level 2 is because some of the sign-up bonuses require you to play at a higher limit . Dream poker requires you to play $1/$2 . I hit $200 with their $10 no deposit sign-up . Due to curiousity purposes , i sat down at the $1/$2 and got thumped . Not too good isn't it ? After all , its free money so i can't really complain . Normally i do max buy ins in the tables i am playing at . This is to prevent someone from bullying me off the pot .
In my humble opinion... Try not to worry to much about these bonus' if they want you to sit down at tables of 1/2 or above if you're getting "thumped". I consider myself to be "not bad" at cash games, I've been playing for a while, but a $1/2 cash game atr Prima? nooooooooooo thank you :( . As far as I remember these bonus aren't that great anyway? Aside from that, as has been pointed out, you just don't have the bank roll for it. In my view, best to be patient, grow your bankroll at the smaller games, get some experience and then do it. You don;t have to get every poker bonus in the world this week y'know :) - sounds like you're doing just fine! Edited for worse spelling even than usual

Recently , i have been playing in cash games trying to take advantage of the poker room's sign up bonus . However , i seems to have a problem . I seem to do pretty well in the $0.25/$0.5 cash tables . The aggression level is just nice for me . However , on the $0.5/$1 cash tables , there seems to be far way too much agression , as a result , i folded quite a fair bit of marginal hands away . Even when i had AJ , A9 , A10 , i would not be tempted to call them . Suspected they had AK , AQ or even big pairs . Is my playing style on the $0.5/$1 acceptable ? I went to the $1/$2 cash tables once and found it was extremely difficult to play in . players down there seems to be raising with "supposed big hands" , i guess i'm lacking of experience and guts to play in those kind of tables . Any advice for me in the higher limits tables like the $0.5/$1 and the $1/$2 ones ? Would appreciate some good advice from fellow plers . :cheers :cheers :cheers
When I play cash tables I play at SO, and I play 1/2 or 2/4... I only fold or raise... I very rarely just call... ...and I raise with any 2 cards... you don't want to battle against a lot of players, therefore the raise... So... if you play higher stake cash tables be prepared for raises in almost every hand... that's my experience... it is a very aggressive game... I think it has to do with the fact that the most people who are playing there are prepared to lose big... or hoping to win big... I think... :unsure

Re: Cash Game Advice ? Been messing about on the cash tables for months now.. I'd just like to reiterate what was said what above re:bankroll - I'm able to control a table much more effectively when the max buyin is way below my overall balance/bankroll, when I (prematurely) creep up a level I'm forever bullied out of pots & hands..

Re: Cash Game Advice ? BANKROLL you need at least 20X the max buy in to 'comfortably' play, so u should be playing with around $1K or so and you shhould have no fear of losing your buy-in for that game even if you can afford it given my formula above pick a level u like playing, can afford and are winning/breaking even at Cheers Damo