NHL Play-offs Round 1

Ottawa - Tampa Bay The winner of the Eastern Conference Ottawa Senators will start at home welcoming the defending Stanley Cup champions, Tampa Bay Lightning. Ottawa coming of a 1-5 away win against NY Rangers and Tampa Bay from a 1-4 loss against Washington Capitals. Ottawa infact had lots in stake in that NY game, Eastern C title and various individual records, and they did what was required to claim those prizes. Tampa Bay on the other hand had nothing at stake in their last game besides their pride, would you want to lose your last regular season game at home to a piss poor team like Washington? Thought so ;) Well, it seems they actually didn't care which way that matchup ended: "I don't want to be short ... but it's not a big concern," coach Tortorella said after the game. The ¨we-really-didnt-care-atmosphere¨ was all over the team after that loss to Washington but the game events point to other direction. Tampa Bay dominated the scene, outshooted Washington 43-28 and after I watched a few clips from the game it actually seemed that they gave atleast 99% (if not a 100%) to win that game. What I'm aiming at here is that if Tampa can't beat Washington at home than what will happen to them when visiting a team like Ottawa? :eek Okey, enough of that. Playoffs differ from the regular season and it would be stupid (atleast almost) to try and get the differences between teams from their last game. The fact is that Ottawa is better almost in every aspect you can think of. Well, there is one aspect where you can see Tampa beating Ottawa and thats recent form (Tampa has three points more than Ottawa in last 10 matches). I know one thing which pretty much sums up the big class difference between these teams and that is goal difference (-or differential). Ottawa's show a respectable 103 and Tampa Bay's reads -8 :lol Other than that there is that ugly troll that will definately haunt Tampa Bay throughout the series: H2H performance. Plainly said Ottawa has won four out of four encounters against Tampa this season with total 16-6 GD and are infact 17-2-1 against Tampa in last 20 meetings. And oh, there is also big factor called home advantage which will be huge boost for the Senators. Finally I can't see almost any hope for the Lightning side to get out alive from this match (or the series with Ottawa). One thing certainly could be playoff experience but that in my point of view won't help alot if your opponent is light years ahead of you in every aspect. And to get back to that recent form advantage, can't see it helping. Ottawa was resting and waiting for the playoffs when they came out showing that ugly form while Tampa was actually fighting for their playoff spot at the same time :rollin Last words: - The fact that Tampa seems to have a big goalie problem won't help them at all - Ottawa will get an interesting add to their roster from AHL. A left winger named Denis Hamel will join the team. He had 91 points in 77 games in AHL in a record breaking season. Edit: There has been more and more speculation about Tampa Bay's playoff experience and the latest Stanley Cup win. Even the players seem to think it's the fact thats going to carry them past Ottawa, Martin St.Louis (one of the key players) for example seems to think so. Let me remind you guys about a little fact that has changed since their Stanley Cup: Newsflash -> Rules. Tampa Bay played a different kind of game back than and now with many of the same ¨experienced¨ players in team it's no wonder they are struggling badly. Pick: Home win (would've gone for -1.5 but put so much cash into this that in the end didn't have the guts to do that :D ) Stake: 10/10 Odds: 1.70 Bookmaker: Expekt

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.