Rugby League: Super League - Round 11

Got to hand it to bet direct, they are always keen to get their handicaps as early as possible....so here we go guys....Round 11. Leeds Rhinos vs Castleford Tigers (+38pts) Salford City Reds vs St Helens (-10pts) Catalan Dragons vs Hull FC (-6pts) Huddersfield vs Wigan Warriors (+8pts) Warrington Wolves vs Bradford Bulls (-4pts) Wakefield Wildcats vs Harlequins RL (+2pts) As always, all thoughts welcome....:loon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11

Leeds Rhinos vs Castleford Tigers (+38pts)
Early thoughts....the Tigers are going to need every point they can get their hands on in this one....I thought they were awful against Warrington last week...they looked jaded, tired and disheartened. If Tony Smith fields a strong I will be backing the Rhinos to cover the hcap....if he decides to give players a break, which is very likely, and field some of his young starlets, I will stay away...more to come on this one.

Salford City Reds vs St Helens (-10pts)
Penguin may disagree with me here, but I dont think 10pts will be enough for the City Reds. Because of Anderson's rotation system, Saints will be one of the fresher sides coming out of easter and should be able to be cover the 10pts. Again....more to follow...

Wakefield Wildcats vs Harlequins RL (+2pts)
Another interesting one....I actually had Quins down as -2pts. With their good away & recent form they are more than capable of winning this game. Cant work Wakefield out this season, lots of quality...but its not happening for them.

Penguin may disagree with me here' date=' but I dont think 10pts will be enough for the City Reds.[/quote'] Looks like the bookies are getting tight with Salford now, was surprised to only see +10, was hoping they would be getting at least +14, what with Saints being unbeaten so far and that they are the 2nd highest scoring team (behind Leeds) and they have the tightest defence in super league. So i agree totally with you Rugbylad, would love to see Saints turned over but don't think it will happen, can see Saints doing what Bradford did to Salford earlier on in the season (34 - 4) maybe even more :eek . May well take Simon Finnegan to score anytime as he's already scored 7 which ain't bad for a 2nd rower:ok It's gonna be a cracker of a match, and i'm glad it's on sky instead of the woefull tigers getting trampled on by the Rhino's :lol

Another interesting one....I actually had Quins down as -2pts. With their good away & recent form they are more than capable of winning this game. Cant work Wakefield out this season' date=' lots of quality...but its not happening for them.[/quote'] Aye. it's another game I had us down to win. We're playing some good stuff now and as I said all season in Dorn and Leuluai we have a serious half back combination that can make us tick. Now that we're getting the rest of the squad back we are looking good again. I won't get carried away on the Catalans and Wigan wins but before that we ran Saints close. I'd want more than 11/10 on us though to be honest so I'll wait for the other books to price up.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 20-man squads have been announced for Friday's games... 87-year old Davis is called up again....as well as Franze (who I thought was very poor). Leeds fairly strong recalling Smith and Walker from injury. Leeds 20-man squad: Mathers, Donald, Walker, Senior, Smith, McGuire, Burrow, Bailey, Diskin, Peacock, Lauitiiti, Ellis, Millard, Poching, O'Neill, Jones-Buchanan, Scruton, Kirke, Williams, Gibson. Castleford 20-man squad: Platt, Pryce, Shenton, Dyer, Blanch, Kain, Henderson, Nutley, Haughey, Roarty, Huby, Whitaker, Viane, Fa'aoso, Manu, Franze, McGoldrick, Ward, Davis. --------------------------------------------------------------------- Saints look v strong....bringing in four players that were rested last week against Les Catalans.....Paul Sculthorpe, Paul Anderson, Ade Gardner and Jason Hooper & (Henry...no Moore ;)) Salford 20-man squad: Fitzpatrick, Hodgson, McGuinness, Moule, Dunemann, Robinson, Coley, Alker, Finnigan, Charles, Highton, Langi, Wilshere, Haggerty, Littler, Clough, Myler, Baldwin, Brocklehurst, Clayton. St Helens 20-man squad: Wellens, Gardner, Lyon, Talau, Pryce, Long, Fozzard, Cunningham, Cayless, Gilmour, Wilkin, Sculthorpe, Roby, Hooper, P. Anderson, V. Anderson, Graham, Hardman, Fa'asavalu, Smith.

20-man squads have been announced for Friday's games... Saints look v strong....bringing in four players that were rested last week against Les Catalans.....Paul Sculthorpe, Paul Anderson, Ade Gardner and Jason Hooper & (Henry...no Moore ;)) Salford 20-man squad: Fitzpatrick, Hodgson, McGuinness, Moule, Dunemann, Robinson, Coley, Alker, Finnigan, Charles, Highton, Langi, Wilshere, Haggerty, Littler, Clough, Myler, Baldwin, Brocklehurst, Clayton. St Helens 20-man squad: Wellens, Gardner, Lyon, Talau, Pryce, Long, Fozzard, Cunningham, Cayless, Gilmour, Wilkin, Sculthorpe, Roby, Hooper, P. Anderson, V. Anderson, Graham, Hardman, Fa'asavalu, Smith.
Saints virtual full strength against Salford should be the call here. The reds 3rd tough game in a week after the games against Warrington and Leeds. Saints have had a similar programme but faced lesser opposition and ran out comfortable winners. Fatigue could be a factor in this one for Salford. Last seasons fixture at the Willows produced a 22-33 result. Salford looked for much of the match if they could pull off a victory but for some Jamie Lyon heroics they might have been. Saints definately had thay quality when it really mattered despite playing poorly. The game at Knowsley Road was far more clear cut. Saints running out 46-12 winners. Lyon certainly enjoys his time against Salford racking up 5 tries in the 2 games. Ive got a strong feeling for Saints and I expect them to do enough to beat the handicap.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 :loon .......

Noble leaves Bulls to join Wigan
_41579124_noble203.jpg Noble has been the subject of intense speculation of late
Brian Noble has been confirmed as Wigan's new head coach, ending lengthy speculation over his future. Noble, who enjoyed huge success with the Bradford Bulls, takes over from Ian Millward, who was axed nine days ago. The 45-year-old Great Britain boss had been the subject of intense speculation since then but finally opted to split with his hometown club on Thursday. As a result, his former Bulls assistant Steve McNamara, 34, will take full control at Odsal. Noble's decision to quit his post with a year left to run on his contract followed a reported breakdown in relations with Bulls chief executive Gareth Davies. He takes over an ailing Wigan side with just one win from their first 10 Super League matches this season, and his first game in charge will be against Huddersfield on Saturday.
o.gifend_quote.gif I have known Brian since his days as a player and his commitment to the game is second to none end_quote.gif Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay
"Wigan is both a great challenge and a great opportunity," said Noble, who has signed a deal until 2008. "The club has a special place in rugby league history and most people in the game would like the opportunity to be in charge. "I have had the most wonderful time at Bradford, both as a player and a coach, and I have enjoyed my time immensely. "The club has wonderful fans and we have also had some great players and it has been my privilege to have been involved with them." Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay Noble's arrival as "great news for the club". "I have known Brian since his days as a player and his commitment to the game is second to none," said Lindsay. "We have told him that he will have all the support in the world, including time, to restructure the side and make Wigan competitive again."

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 Salford City Reds vs St Helens (-10/12pts) _41569692_salford_st_helens_06.gif Despite Salford having a great start to the season, I think this will be a game too many for them, off the back of a busy Easter period. Saints have had a comfortable Easter period with wins over Les Catalans and Wigan....allowing Anderson to use a squad rotation system which should keep his squad fresh for the short trip to the Willows. They welcome back four quality players into the squad, after being rested last week, these include skipper Paul Sculthorpe, Jason Hooper, Paul Anderson & Ade Gardner....a daunting quartet for any Super League side to face. Salford are no mugs though, with a scoring average of 23pts per game but their defence has been more impressive only conceding 150pts after 10 games (3rd best in the league)......but I cant see them getting much change out of a Saints side with a PF average of over 30 and the meanest defence in the league (106pts conceded after 10 games...awesome!!) A handicap of -10pts just shows you how far Salford have come in 12 months.....they deserve credit for that.....last season the handicap would have been almost double this. Tempted to back Saints -4pts on the Half time handicap...but will settle for them -10pts over 80 mins....as Henry has said, fatigue will be factor, Saints being the fresher, should be able to pull away in last quarter. Saints also have a superb record at the Willows, winnings 14 consecutive times...will they be making it 15? I say Yes....by more than 10pts?....dam hope so :hope Salford (20-man squad): Fitzpatrick, Hodgson, McGuinness, Moule, Dunemann, Robinson, Coley, Alker, Finnigan, Charles, Highton, Langi, Wilshere, Haggerty, Littler, Clough, Myler, Baldwin, Brocklehurst, Clayton. St Helens (20-man squad): Wellens, Gardner, Lyon, Talau, Pryce, Long, Fozzard, Cunningham, Cayless, Gilmour, Wilkin, Sculthorpe, Roby, Hooper, P Anderson, V Anderson, Graham, Hardman, Fa'asavalu, Smith. Recommendation: Saints -10pts @ 1.90 betdirect (3pts) (Prediction - Saints win by 18pts) (Scale 1-5pts)

Back from signing on for income support....lol....here are Millward's thoughts on this weeks games.... RUGBY LEAGUE NEWS
spacer.gif
51610.jpg
Millward - Wolves can stun Bulls. (Getty Images)
WOLVES TO CLAIM BULLS SCALP By Ian Millward Leeds v Castleford There are ominous signs for the Tigers here. Leeds will be relishing the chance to face them on the big Headingley pitch and it is a really tough ask for the visitors. Scores can often be closer than expected in derby games but Leeds are looking to hit back after their loss to Bradford and usually bounce back well from a defeat. I am not sure they are the same side they were 12 months ago - but it was very hard to like anything about Castleford in their home defeat to Warrington on Monday so the Rhinos - and by a huge margin - looks the only way to go. Salford v St Helens I have spoken to a few people from Salford in recent days and they are very confident of winning this one. I am not sure so sure as St Helens are the best side in Super League. They were able to rest Jason Hooper, Paul Sculthorpe and Ade Gardener for the win in France on Monday and they return while Leon Pryce is back at six. It's a full strength side, not one player out injured, and they will win this game. However with 12 points start and such a positive approach, Salford could be the pick on the handicap. Catalans Dragons v Hull Reports I got on Catalans Dragons against St Helens were that they played extremely well, with their half-back Dobson outstanding. They are still without Alex Chan but Ian Hindmarsh may return and he is a key player for them. The Dragons have a lot of homegrown talent in their side at present and they were really up for last week's game against St Helens. I'm not sure they can reproduce that here. I expect Hull to go over and win - and they could well put some points on them. The Easter programme may take a toll on the home side. Warrington v Bradford The most impressive team over the Easter programme was Bradford, against both Leeds and Huddersfield. They were absolutely outstanding. This is the start of life without Brian Noble - how will they react mentally here? Warrington also had a very easy game at Castleford on Monday, it was nothing more than a training gallop. They should be fresh and usually do very well in this fixture. I am going to stick my neck out and go for the Wolves to win the game, even without a start of four points. Wakefield v Harlequins Harlequins are proving very hard to beat on their travels but Wakefield put 26 points on Hull on Monday which was a good performance. I expect them to win the match on the back of their big forwards. The visitors are in good form at present with Luke Dorn, Mark McLinden and Thomas Leuluai outstanding. This is a toss of a coin but while I like the way London are progressing, Wakefield haven't been far off the mark in their last three games. With home advantage they are a tentative choice.

Back from signing on for income support....lol....here are Millward's thoughts on this weeks games....
spacer.gif
Wakefield v Harlequins Harlequins are proving very hard to beat on their travels but Wakefield put 26 points on Hull on Monday which was a good performance. I expect them to win the match on the back of their big forwards. The visitors are in good form at present with Luke Dorn, Mark McLinden and Thomas Leuluai outstanding. This is a toss of a coin but while I like the way London are progressing, Wakefield haven't been far off the mark in their last three games. With home advantage they are a tentative choice.
Thank the lord for that!

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 Exactly what I thought when I read this Kev, lol :lol

spacer.gif

Salford v St Helens

I have spoken to a few people from Salford in recent days and they are very confident of winning this one. I am not sure so sure as St Helens are the best side in Super League. They were able to rest Jason Hooper, Paul Sculthorpe and Ade Gardener for the win in France on Monday and they return while Leon Pryce is back at six. It's a full strength side, not one player out injured, and they will win this game. However with 12 points start and such a positive approach, Salford could be the pick on the handicap.

Recommendation: Saints -10pts @ 1.90 betdirect (3pts) (Prediction - Saints win by 18pts) (Scale 1-5pts)
Go on then. You've twisted my arm, I'll have some of that.:D I like the look of Huddersfield -8. What say you? Wigan have never looked competitive whatsoever away from home in Superleague. Hammered in every game. Huddersfield always seem to give everybody a game at their place even Saints(That said , Saints failure to make the handicap in that one was more down to the curse of Scott Moore...:eyes ).-8 looks a small ask.

Go on then. You've twisted my arm, I'll have some of that.:D I like the look of Huddersfield -8. What say you? Wigan have never looked competitive whatsoever away from home in Superleague. Hammered in every game. Huddersfield always seem to give everybody a game at their place even Saints(That said , Saints failure to make the handicap in that one was more down to the curse of Scott Moore...:eyes ).-8 looks a small ask.
Could be the time to back Wigan, new coach a fresh face with good ideas, the players will now have to give 110% to make sure they figure in his plans. Wigan just lack a bit of luck/patience in the last quarter and a bit of steel in their own defence, maybe Noble can fix/inspire that. Will have a look at the teams first, but Wigan could be the pick.

Could be the time to back Wigan, new coach a fresh face with good ideas, the players will now have to give 110% to make sure they figure in his plans. Wigan just lack a bit of luck/patience in the last quarter and a bit of steel in their own defence, maybe Noble can fix/inspire that. Will have a look at the teams first, but Wigan could be the pick.
The case for Wigan is pretty strong actually looking at it. Wigans solitary win this season came against the Giants quite comfortably. Wigan also won the last game between the two sides at the galpharm 22-36. This all suggests maybe they do have the beating of the Giants after all. The squad news for this one shows no significant change from the last set of games. Looks like Im going to have to go in play on this one.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 Got to apply logic here. Wigan costing me money in last three games. My persistent backing of them is futile. Hudders to win and also cover the -8. Salford covered more spreads than anyone else this season (by a long way) with 9/10 and so I can't help but take them with the 12 start. May be worth betting on Saints 1-5 and 6-10 though Will look to buy total points in the Les Cats v Hull game - see this is as a minimal risk game with a potential fat upside. Hull 6-10 point win.

Got to apply logic here. Wigan costing me money in last three games. My persistent backing of them is futile. Hudders to win and also cover the -8. Salford covered more spreads than anyone else this season (by a long way) with 9/10 and so I can't help but take them with the 12 start. May be worth betting on Saints 1-5 and 6-10 though Will look to buy total points in the Les Cats v Hull game - see this is as a minimal risk game with a potential fat upside. Hull 6-10 point win.
:welcome Grim Reaper. The only logic I'm using on the Saints match is it's tightest defence vs 7th worst attack and 3rd best defence vs 2nd best attack. Plus the most important piece of information available to us Rugby League punters - Millward's tipped up Salford on the handicap. ;) Seriously though mate, with the rested players back for Saints I think that will swing it their way and I take Saints to win by 16-20 points and I'm with Rugbylad and taking Saints -10. Henry, I'm not sure how much difference it will make but don't forget that Wigan will have had an extra 36 hours to recover from their match with Quins and Huddersfield played on the Odsal bog and to be fair looked pretty poor. No bet for me that game I think.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 Fully agree with the sentiments re the Saints.Salford have overperformed for some time now (winning even myself some funds last weekend), but it looks all over now baby blue. I reckon the Saints will make no mistake and tear them apart now. 10 pts cap looks like overacting by the books.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 Leeds Rhinos vs Castleford Tigers (+36/38pts) _41569686_leeds_castle_06.gif The Tigers are definately on the slippery slope down the Super League table after conceding over 50pts points in their last two matches (Les Catalans & Warrington...sides not notorious for their high scoring ability). The Tigers have now conceding a massive 403pts after 10 rounds....you do the maths. Tonight they face the best attacking side in the league, Leeds have an avg PF record of 33pts and have the second best defensive record.....I am pretty sure Leeds can put 60pts on the Tigers, but there's a slim chance they may hold off in second half with the game already won, plus all it takes is one or two surprise tries from the Tigers and the bet on Leeds -36pts looks beaten. I think Leeds will cover all areas, the only reason I aint backing them is because my money is on Saints, so it has to be a no bet from me.....just hope I aint kicking myself come tonight. :hope Leeds: Mathers, Donald, Walker, Senior, Smith, McGuire, Burrow, Bailey, Diskin, Peacock, Lauitiiti, Ellis, Millard, Poching, O'Neill, Jones-Buchanan, Scruton, Kirke, Williams, Gibson. Castleford: Platt, Pryce, Shenton, Dyer, Blanch, Kain, Henderson, Nutley, Haughey, Roarty, Huby, Whitaker, Viane, Fa'aoso, Manu, Franze, McGoldrick, Ward, Davis. Recommendation: No bet (Prediction - Leeds win by 40+pts)

Salford City Reds vs St Helens (-10/12pts) Recommendation: Saints -10pts @ 1.90 betdirect (3pts) (Prediction - Saints win by 18pts) (Scale 1-5pts)
FYI - Our friends at betdirect have now moved the handicap to -12pts.

Henry, I'm not sure how much difference it will make but don't forget that Wigan will have had an extra 36 hours to recover from their match with Quins and Huddersfield played on the Odsal bog and to be fair looked pretty poor. No bet for me that game I think.
Good point. Something definately to consider but I just cant shake the Wigan's sorry capitulation in the last game, from my thinking. If you cant stir yourself up for a home game against fellow wooden spoon contenders(Its only what the table said, but I fear I may have been decieved. I like what the Quins are doing at the moment) what hope have you got against the Giants smarting from 3 back to back defeats. The game was over in the first 20 minutes. The tries they conceded looked more at home in the National League. There will be points galore in this one for definate, could be one for the Overs. Like I say its one for In play. The -8 tempts because of the ask against a pitiful away side but theirs a few indicators there to suggest a little caution. We'll see how it goes. :unsure :\ :unsure :\ :unsure :\ :unsure :\ :unsure :cow

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 I dont know what anybody thinks about the Catalans game but they really give Saints a good run for their money. Fellous and Fakir seemed paticularily prominent early doors in establishing the 8-0 lead it wasnt until they had to go off nursing injuries that Saints were allowed to kick on. The 2 came back late on second half and the Saints were rocked again. Chan and Hindmarsh further shore up the Forward line. They are starting to impress at home in recent weeks. Tantalisingly close to victory against Salford. Hull are due a defeat if only to live up to their inconsistent tag. Anybody for +10 Catalans? By jingo I do believe Ive managed to talk about the Catalans v Saints without touching upon the Scott Moore factor.:dude Note to self: Percieved gypsy curses on players of questionable quality should not form the basis of a successful betting strategy.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 I think Salford are going to find it harder tonight then in any other game, Dunemann has been playing the best rugby for a long time but may well find himself under more pressure from Long and Pryce who seem's to be finding his feet at no6 now. I usually harp on about Salford's top defence, but Saint's attack is looking very good at the moment, Alker's going to have all on to cope with Cunningham's sniping runs with Wellens, Long and Sculthorpe backing up. Saints have the skill to break the line seemingly at will, but they also have the leagues tightest defence which i think Salford will struggle to overcome. Bet is Saints -12 @10/11 with Skybet Prediction Saints by 22-24. Also taken Vinnie Anderson as 1st tryscorer @20/1 (not a bet i normally take), but i think it's a good price for a forward in top form.:hope

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 Back from the office...god today has dragged, lol Think the weather is going to suit Saints tonight....fresh, cool and dry...perfect conditions for the fast following rugby Saints play. Tonight, more than anything, will be a good indicator of well Salford are going to do in SL this year.... :hope good luck all.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 11 Oh...I may be coming out of retirement at the grand old age of 24 to play in an invitational game next saturday!! :lol :lol Need to blow the dust off my boots and skullcap and well buy a new gum shield.... Unfortunately, No bets are available on the game though! :unsure

Oh...I may be coming out of retirement at the grand old age of 24 to play in an invitational game next saturday!! :lol :lol Need to blow the dust off my boots and skullcap and well buy a new gum shield.... Unfortunately, No bets are available on the game though! :unsure
You're wrong mate. Sporting Index are kindly offering your try minutes at 0 :unsure . Surely I must buy that?! ;) :lol