Betting on the 2006 WSOP Main Event

rippyuk

Accuse me of jumping the gun if you like, but I had a little browse for odds on the 2006 World Series Of Poker Main Event. Obviously betting before the first cards are even dealt is almost as much of a lottery as actually playing in the Main Event itself.. more of a flutter than a reliable bet.. but that does mean the payouts are really good if you DO get lucky. Bluesq.com is the only place with odds so far, they are offering prices on a player making the final table, and will also pay if the player goes out in 10th position. http://www.bluesq.com/bet?action=go_events&type_id=921 I'm personally gonna have a fiver or so on two or three players: Phil Ivey at 66/1 - Ivey usually fights his way very deep in the Main Event, only to get unlucky as the final table looms. He's one of the most consistent cash game & tourney players out there, and this year he has to be more determined than ever to crack it. Daniel Negreanu at 66/1 - I really rate Negreanu, he's got an uncanny ability to read the players around him & make the right choices time after time. After an amazing 2004 WSOP, his 2005 performance was under par, he was well and truly "running bad" - but 2006 could see the cards fall his way. Greg Raymer at 125/1 - My outside shot, which a lot of people would see as the idiots choice.. however don't forget Raymer managed to win in 2004, and waded through a field twice the size in 2005 to finish 25th. He's a smart poker player, and a smart businessman.. I have a feeling he'll be around for a few years yet. It's pure guesswork really - anyone can & will make the final table, but a cheap stab at a decent payout is worth a look to me! Anyone else got any players they fancy to put in a good performance this year? Hoping there will be in-running bets during the tournament itself but that's a long way off yet!

Re: Betting on the 2006 WSOP Main Event Aye, Mike Matusow was probably at least 80/1 (the only recognised pro to make it. Imagine if you had Andrew Black. I think some firms were on about the Betfair founder not the Irish poker pro! :lol). Ebbs and flows. May be more than runners than last year, may be less. You can be cocky and ask for prices on 'unknown' players and you'll probably get stiffed with the bare minimum of 80/1. Phil Ivey has come remarkably close and then just fades away. Betting in-running was non-existent and all there really was was ante-post (before the event) and betting as regards the final table. EDIT; Might have been one or two adventurous offshore outfits pricing it as it came down to the last two days of action though. Pinnacle had a 'Greg Raymer/Mike Matusow/Phil Ivey versus the field' prop as well as match-betting. If you can find 'form' in a field of 5,000+ you're definitely a better man than me. :lol :$ :cry

Re: Betting on the 2006 WSOP Main Event My possible picks - 1. Lederer 2. Ivey 3. Lindgren 4. Negreanu 5. Chan 6. Ulliot 7. Hansen 8. Hellmuth 9. Mortensen 10. Brunson 11. Vaswani 12. Esfandiari 13. Harman 14. Laak 15. Goldstein 16. Duke 17. Matusow 18. Harrington 19. Flack 20. Juanda Most of those are over 66/1 so good payouts if theres a winner.

Re: Betting on the 2006 WSOP Main Event Reckon the prices on these is way too slim, but if I had to pick anyone it would be Dan Harrington @ 80/1. 3 final tables out of the last 11, and won it in 1995. Reckon he is one of the best NL tourney players out there, although with the publishing of his 2 (excellent) books on tournament play it 2005 it might work against him if people have read them and use it against him (although I think people know he's tight anyway so should have little effect).

Re: Betting on the 2006 WSOP Main Event Have to agree with equinoxx here. Chances are there is gonna be another mammoth 5000+ entry this year, so trying to pick a player to get to the final table is a real lottery. Might not be a bad idea to have a PL sweep though nearer the time? Prize could be paid entry into one of the bigger online tournaments?

Re: Betting on the 2006 WSOP Main Event Obviously you're right, it's waste of money.. it's just meant to be a bit of fun rather than a serious bet. I'll either have a fiver on 3-4 players, or a quid or two on 10-20 players.. I don't usually bet on sports, and I don't expect to win anything from these bets.. It's just something to make watching things unravel a little more exciting.

Re: Betting on the 2006 WSOP Main Event

Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your money but surely the reason we bet is to win. There is just no value in this bet whatsioever unless you have a crystal ball and know for sure who is going to win.
I guess it's different strokes really - I'm the kind of person who chooses his Grand National/Gold Cup/etc selection on the day of the event, based on which name looks best :lol On the rare occasion I take sports bets seriously, I'll build one or two Premiership accumulators, or put £20 on a tip from my old man (against my advice he joined a horse racing tips service, and to my surprise actually wins the large majority of bets he places from these tips) I definately wont be sticking £100+ on the WSOP and counting on a cashout, more like burning £20 I would've waxed on fags & junk food and seeing what unravels.