Agressive play in STT's

DC

When I'm playing poker I usually playing ten seater single table tournaments. I'm winning more than I'm losing and don't want to really change the way I play. However, occasionaly I come across characters that spend the majority of their time going all in from the word go. Why? To pick up a small amount of blinds every time? Then it dawned on me, they actually WANT to be called. Is this such a bad thing? I'm assuming that they are going all in with a decent hand, perhaps one that is ranked in the top 20 or 30 of starting hands. IF they get called they'll have a 50-50 chance of winning the hand and doubling up. From there, it'll be much easier to finish in the money with twice as many chips as everyone else. Failing that, the table fold and the blinds will be collected. So half the time they'll double up early and half the time they'll go out early. Does anyone else play like this, or know of people that play like this? I'm not planning on changing my game to this style but just interested to see what other poker players think to this aggressive strategy. DC

Re: Agressive play in STT's I've played plenty of STT's and have come across this type of play quite alot. More so in the lower stakes - $10 and lower. The vast majority of the time I play $20 STT's and the style of play is much more conventional. The all in approach is purely luck based and if you want to play like that then fair enough but I don't see that it can be enjoyable way to play and you will never really enhance your skills playing like that. Like you say half the time they go out, are they really going to make much money doing that? I'd stick to the style your comfortable with mate, if it's not broken why fix it? The only time I get really aggresive is when I'm in the bubble. 99% of the time people will fold good hands hoping someone else will go out and they can get in the money.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.