Possibly The Unluckiest Poker Night Ever

sherry009

i dont think ive ever felt so bad!!!!!! i was playing in the bet 365 $5000 freeroll and the punterslounge betfair freeroll. i was small blind when every body folded round so i called the big blind with 6 4 suited flop came 3 5 7 WOW i checked he bet which was what i wanted with my straight so i called turn card Q i checked he checked river came 6 i bet he raised so i called he only had 8 4 which made him 4 5 6 7 8 and made me sick and left me short stacked then got dealt 77 800 chips left all in only to be cracked by AQ that was my betfair freeroll over. NOW for the worst bet 365 9000 entrants i was doin great UNTIL blinds 750/1500 i was big blind with AA in hand when small blind trys to steal my big blind with a raise so i come back over the top with an all in 16000 he called with A10 off which brings a smile to my face flop comes 3 Q J turn 8 river ONLY A KING!!!!! i go out in 401st out of 9000 and on suiside watch!!:( :spank

Re: Possibly The Unluckiest Poker Night Ever Hi sherry. The first hand with your made straight I think you were very unlucky, but also perhaps a victim of your own slow-playing. We've all been in the position where an unusual flop has given us the nuts, and we think it so unlikely anyone else will have benefitted from it that we are happy to slow play it and then get a bite on the bum from the river. Sometimes it is better to put a big bet in when you are certain to have the nuts after the flop, and because the Q could not have helped you (or your opponent) another BIG bet there may have put an end to the hand there and then. If he had called your bet on the turn however.....well it happens, but you can console yourself with what Hayward says that 9/10 times it will pay off for you. But believe me many other PLers have had similar (or even worse experiences). They post in our bad beat thread here; http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16842 Where kind words, hugs and shoulders to cry on come in masses (if danno leaves some for the rest of us.;))

Re: Possibly The Unluckiest Poker Night Ever Unlucky sherry, (hope it wasn't me that bust you). Remember, it Swings and Round-abouts, so you'll get the breaks at times. My luck came in yesterday on a couple of occasions (think I got a J on river to make TJQKA against AAKK - think I went AT versus AK, all in after flop of AKQ) and I collected. This week has seen a couple of weeks of bad breaks for me turn the other way - best thing to do is console yourself that you made a good call and it went wrong - if you continue to make good calls then overall you should come out ahead. As MrV said its a fine balance between slow playing and trying to take the pot there and then.

Re: Possibly The Unluckiest Poker Night Ever

Sometimes it is better to put a big bet in when you are certain to have the nuts after the flop, and because the Q could not have helped you (or your opponent) another BIG bet there may have put an end to the hand there and then.
Dunno about this... I feel you may have to adapt your betting strategies to the way everyone else is playing the game. For example... On the Betfair freeroll last night I was dealt KK UTG. I raised 4 x BB... the result? Everyone folded! :sad That was probably down to the way the game was being played... tight and cagey. However, I believe that in a far looser game I'd have picked up at least one caller. In a tight game it may be better to slow play the likes of AA, KK, QQ, JJ and TT. Once the flop is dealt you can review your position from there. My thoughts only and I'd welcome other comments on this subject. :ok

Re: Possibly The Unluckiest Poker Night Ever Was reading a bit in a magazine about game theory and one of the points I picked up on is that you increase your chances of winning by not being too predictable - playing away from the "formula" sometimes. So sometimes (say 25% of the time) with AA or KK in late position you just follow to the BB and sometimes with (say) A7o in late position you go BB*4 (I know some people who's strategy is all in in any position with A anything :rollin ). Often though that a good marketting toy would be a 12 sided dice with various options on it - and every xth hand no matter what you've got you roll the dice and follow the instructions - that would make you really unpredictable.

Was reading a bit in a magazine about game theory and one of the points I picked up on is that you increase your chances of winning by not being too predictable - playing away from the "formula" sometimes. So sometimes (say 25% of the time) with AA or KK in late position you just follow to the BB and sometimes with (say) A7o in late position you go BB*4 (I know some people who's strategy is all in in any position with A anything :rollin ). Often though that a good marketting toy would be a 12 sided dice with various options on it - and every xth hand no matter what you've got you roll the dice and follow the instructions - that would make you really unpredictable.
Was it Inside Edge phil, because I saw something the same. It suggested that players used the second hand on their watch or a credit card number to help them decide on a random course of action.

Re: Possibly The Unluckiest Poker Night Ever everyone plays different, as they say. I have had A.A more than one tried slow play and big bets. never won with them yet but i know i will sooner rather than later and i guess it will be to put me in the money:hope keep reading and trying, I myself never got beyond 150th till this last week.. were i have had 3 P/B in the freerolls first 25c i was over the moon, then a 88c, again really pleased with what i had achieved. Now last night down to final 20 in our P/L game and also got 17th in the booster for $3.. so as the lads say keep at it..G/L sherry..

Was reading a bit in a magazine about game theory and one of the points I picked up on is that you increase your chances of winning by not being too predictable - playing away from the "formula" sometimes. So sometimes (say 25% of the time) with AA or KK in late position you just follow to the BB and sometimes with (say) A7o in late position you go BB*4 (I know some people who's strategy is all in in any position with A anything :rollin ). Often though that a good marketting toy would be a 12 sided dice with various options on it - and every xth hand no matter what you've got you roll the dice and follow the instructions - that would make you really unpredictable.
Would this only work on tables of a reasonably high standard though? (i.e. a table where people actually watched what you were doing)

Would this only work on tables of a reasonably high standard though? (i.e. a table where people actually watched what you were doing)
good point, certainly on the big freerolls where you play different people every time then it probably wouldn't help much.... but it wouldn't do much harm either as the early stages are often a lottery anyway :lol .