The International, US Tour golf

Another blank last week. My bunch of rags never got anywhere near contending. So it’s back to the drawing board with The International at Castle Pine G.C. A lot of big names on show here and this should be a very interesting event using the stableford points system of 5 points for an eagle, 2 points for a birdie, 0 points for par, -1 for bogey and –3 for double or worse. I think its also 8 points for a double eagle, but I cant see that happening! So obviously this makes things tricky as obviously over the course of a normal 72 hole event, 10 birdies and 10 bogeys leaves you level, whilst here it would 10 points to the good. Previous stats for this are very hard to come across. It would seem we would need attacking players who are willing to take risks to make plenty birdies, but also in taking risks will suffer bogeys. And also it would appear that players who rank high in the birdie categories would be a good bet. So step forward Ben Crane. He ranks 4th on par 3 birdies, 6th on par 4 birdies, 11th on par 5 birdies. Is 3rd in birdie conversation and 1st in putting average. But he has played this event twice before, coming into it with similar good stats (all be it not as impressive as this year) But he missed the cut both times. So I think an over importance on these stats by the bookies this week (I hope!) means there is some value to be had. I cannot be having Ben Crane with that course form. Obviously you will have your top players who rank high in these stats and could rip the course up but they are at unattractive prices. First up, John Rollins. 3 previous appearances in this event and 3 top 25’s. Also finished 2nd in the BC Open a few weeks ago. A very nice price of 200-1 EW at Lads. Next up, a guy that has had a very good season on the Euro Tour. Ive backed him a few times on the Euro tour and he has frustrated as he doesn’t quite manage to get the job done, but racks up the top 20’s. He has looked to be one of those Birdie, Birdie, Bogey merchants, which should help him here aslong as there are more birdies than bogeys. I wasn’t sure how he would handle playing in the US Open earlier in the year, but he did very well in making the cut. And with his recent invitation to play in the US PGA courtesy of him being in the worlds top 100, he must be feeling good about himself and his game. He is ofcourse Nick Dougherty and I’m going 16-1 Top ten at Stan James Thirdly, Greg Owen. Didn’t play as well as I thought he would on his return to Europe. And I didn’t think the debacle which kept him out of the Open did him any favours either. But he has done very well in America this season, some very solid displays. And I cant see any reason why he shouldn’t have another one here. Again I will go Top 10 at 11-1 Paddy Power. For the final selection I was between Bob Tway and Rocco Mediate. So I have gone for the value price, which is Mediate. Since 1993 he has played this event 8 times. 5 times finishing in the top 25. Even in times when he has shown some very poor form he has performed well here. Baring a tie for 10th in the Franklin Templeton shootout, his tie for 15th here last year was his best result of the 2004 season. His recent form is good with 3 top 25’s in his last 5 events. Including his superb 6th at the US Open. Will stick with the top 10 market though, 10-1 Stan James.