Win without playing !!

Handle: spike66 Started an STT on Paradise this afternoon but the wife came home early and would have caught me "in the cookie jar" so I closed the game (without playing a hand) with a view to coming back to it after tea. About 50 mins later I came back to the PC but the game had finished. Just got the email with results... 1st: bigbrad211, $50 prize awarded (Level VIII, Game #7) 2nd: bookielisa, $30 prize awarded (Level VIII, Game #7) 3rd: spike66, $20 prize awarded (Level VII, Game #10) *** 4th: Eukay (Level VII, Game #9) 5th: DUKE-FAN (Level VII, Game #8) 6th: Bob305 (Level VII, Game #7) 7th: MONEY4PLAY (Level V, Game #4) 8th: Bhoy24 (Level IV, Game #9) 9th: ShannonSto (Level IV, Game #6) 10th: wikapa (Level II, Game #1) 3rd place !!!! :clap I think that is a fluke but maybe it indicates that if you sit tight and play only absolute premium hands / cheap flops then you can get in the money more often. Gonna experiment further... Mike

Re: Win without playing !!

Strange you say that, because I entered the Bet365 Freeroll Saturday and forgot all about it. I finished 1054 out of 10,000. :lol
Lol - far better than when you turned up!!! If you'd have told me in advance, you would have avoided the Wooden Spoon!! :lol :lol

Re: Win without playing !! I've played in two SNGs where the second place finisher was a sitout. And that's out of less than 50, possibly less than 25 since I only play them occasionally. Might be because I play at lower levels, such as $2 buy-ins.

Re: Win without playing !! Just finished third in a STT at Victor Chandler without playing a hand. I definitely think this is the way to go in small stakes STT's. I probably took the tactic to an extreme in this case, but it's just not worth getting involved early doors when the blinds are so low and there are 5-6 players seeing the flop.

Re: Win without playing !! when playing betfred in its early days -4/6 weeks ago there were only about 350/1000 in the freerolls and noticed a few players sitting out after getting to 4000+ ,as i was a beginner i thought it was strange then realised it must have been a tactic -probably discussed on a poker forum . I even got to 11th position then - pure luck .Have not noticed it recently but now the freerolls are full quickly.

Re: Win without playing !! after reading this i entered a freeroll $50 omaha- never played it before 269/1000 - noticed on a 10 seater 6 players are sitting out - had a lot of beginners luck with a few full houses - up to 5000 - deciding to put this "theory" to the test- 93 players left- so i am leaving it - cheers

Re: Win without playing !! Not a popular answer i suppose, i'm honest so i'll say it anyway. But i actually enjoy PLAYING poker. Fair enough if you enter and then have other commitments and cant play, but entering and then trying to nick a couple of quid without playing is pathetic. Its also really annoying for all the other players on the table. Think youll find if you 'play' against decent players your blinds wont last anyway.

Re: Win without playing !!

Its also really annoying for all the other players on the table.
but entering and then trying to nick a couple of quid without playing is pathetic.
I think you got me wrong mate.. i'm not advocating entering tables and not playing. Also when I play them I always click the "post & fold in turn" button. What I am saying is that i reckon there is money to be made if you play tight as fiick. I have been winning consistenltly (3rd,2nd,1st) if i only play AA down to 1010 and getting cheap flops when SB & BB. Thats all... no rocket science just makin a profit.
Think youll find if you 'play' against decent players your blinds wont last anyway.
You would last to level VI (paradise poker) without playing no matter how decent players are! Mike

Re: Win without playing !! Wasnt having a go at you Mike, i did say if you enter and other commitments come up and you have to miss out then fair enough. A couple of other posts intimated that they deliberately entered and didnt play. I agree about playing ultra tight to get to the latter stages of a mini-tourney. What i meant about playing against decent players and blinds not lasting, i was in a 10 seater not long ago and we got down to the last 4, one of which was sitting out. The three of us saw this and all agreed by way of chat to fold and nick the blinds. It didnt take long to get rid of him and then we continued playing. Not saying this is typical at all. Still dont agree with it but i'm in the minority obviously.

Re: Win without playing !! Think there was only one reply advocating not playing at all. I just think that many players, on $10 tables , which is my level, get bored and play anything which allows me , if patient , to get into the money... Mike