Weekly Nap Competion, Day 5, Thursday 18th June 2015

Britannia Stakes, 1 mile Mr. Halford's lightly raced Portage might be is extremely well handicapped after what he has done so far throughout his short career.. He earned glowing reports from his trainer after winning a Curragh maiden second time out towards the end of last season. It's pretty strong form but he was always sure to improve for the step up to 1m. He reappeared at the Curragh over 1m in a hot Handicap in May, taking on some older, experienced and seasoned horses. He travelled really well, made eye-catching progress but never got a run on the inside and was eased eventually. It's rare to see in Ireland, but here the Handicapper has been lenient. He dropped Portage by 2lb! Of course I might be wrong but to me this individual looks a good 10 to 15 pounds better and could easily turn out to be a Stakes performer. Portage @ 12/1 Coral

5:00 Ascot - Britannia Stakes Amazour has bolted up on both his starts this term showing a decisive turn of foot and more is promised being a well bred son of a mare who placed at Group 2 level. He steps up to a mile today but showed no signs of stopping over 7f last time at Haydock and as a son of Azamour out of a mare who stayed an extended 1m 3f this trip should bring further improvement. He travels strongly in his races and has shown no fear of quickening through tight gaps or making space for himself so he looks ideally suited to a big handicap over the straight course. Azamour - 1pt win @ 25/1 Ladbrokes

Royal Ascot : 5.00: Emirates Airline @ 33/1 Ladbrokes e/w Thanks Emirates Airline.....from Saeed bin Suroor yard the 3yo has only ran 4 times twice as 2yo on Turf last season where it ran poor races at Ascot 6f GF 4th and Newmarket 6f GS, This season the yard took it to AW at Chelmsford 1m where it won comfortably by 7 lengths , With things looking good they brought it out 63 days ago on Turf at Newmarket 10f GF where it put up a good show and lead at 8f pole but weakened inside last furlong and finished 6th of 9 runners but was only beaten 1.75 lengths, He ran of a mark of 90 and goes today off that mark with Harry Bentley in saddle , he's the fifth different jockey on Emirates Airline who is wearing a hood for the first time

F8.45 Just a Normal Day 9/2 Bet365 This one showed improved form when winning last time out for its trainer who has a phenomenal strike rate this season. The front 2 pulled well clear in that race and the horse was well supported which suggests there could well be more to come. The horse is lightly raced and clearly progressive so the 9/2 looks great value against some more exposed types. I would expect the SP to be nearer 3/1.

4.20: Gold Cup (Group 1) (2m4f) The most prestigious race of the week is the Gold Cup and it’s a good one for punters with six out of the last eight favourites obliging. This year’s jolly is Forgotten Rules trained by Dermot Weld who is unbeaten in just four career starts. It’s hard to believe he was winning a Punchestown bumper on his debut only 14 months ago and ended up winning the Long Distance Cup on Champions Day here last October. He has since won his prep race at Navan and has loads of scope for further improvement and will be hard to beat here. Of the others I like Vent De Force who could attempt to make the pace and Simenon who should be thereabouts and wont mind the ground which might catch a few of his opponents out and looks the value bet in the race. Selection: Simenon 12/1 Bet365

Asc 2.30 - Riflescope - EW at 66/1 bog wm hill The Norfolk It would be a surprise if the two Hannon horses don't fight this out between them......they look like the best two British 2yo seen out so far. I'm just surprised that neither of them went for the Coventry which is the more significant race. That leaves me to think that maybe they've been overestimated ? Anyway........I'm looking for an EW shot at a bigger price Mark Johnston's colt has looked pretty good in two 5f starts but flopped badly up at 6f last time. He was in touch until the final furlong when he weakened and was eased. Back at 5F today I'll give him another chance at big odds........these Johnston horses can be tough and keep improving as they run and often outrun their odds through sheer guts and tenacity. Look at Buratino who won the Coventry and how he's progressed through a lot of racing (by the way I backed Buratino at 4/1 to win an AW maiden on the first day of the season back in March.......if I knew then what I know now I'd have put the house on it !,,,,,,,,,,:lol) I don't think Riflescope is as good as Buratino but worth an EW poke at the odds

5.00 ASCOT ROOM KEY @ 40/1 Betvictor BOG ew I'm going to take a chance on a big priced horse in this. Highly tried to date and still open to improvement after only 6 runs. His run behind Consort looks good in the context of this race. Has done all his racing on fast ground so won't have that excuse like some of the others. May find a couple too good but if he can find the places at 40's will do for me.

3.40 ascot gretchen has only run once and won, open to any amount of improvement. won over todays trip on debut and looks a good horse in the making. i can see her improving enough to make the principals work very hard today. gosden one of the best trainers and buick and cracking jockey, so looks the value bet in the race in my opinion. 8/1 bet365 bog

6.15 Lingfield - Dangerous Age win @ 11/2 Coral This should be Peace Seekers to lose on the ratings but he's coming back after a break of over 250 days and may need the run. If he doesn't run to his best then I think Dangerous Age can pick up the pieces. He was behind Agerzam lto in a similar race at Wolverhampton. He wasn't too far behind and when you take the jockeys claim into account he is 3lbs better off which could see him overturn the form.

4.35 Ripon, Frosty The Snowman 3/1 ladbrokes This is a lady amateur riders handicap. The favourite is on a roll and comes here looking for a 4 timer. I'm going to oppose her with a horse she beat by 1.5 lengths last time in Frosty The Snowman. That last race was over this distance at Haydock 7 days ago. The favourite was giving 9 pounds to FTS that day and FTS was gaining all the way to the line. Today the favourite is giving 9 pounds again but this time manages to get 3 pounds from the claim of Becky Smith. FTS gets the service of Serena Brotherton today and I think that will make all the difference here. Brotherton is vastly more experienced and stronger in a finish and can make up that 1.5 lengths and more on the favourite. Jockeys are working on horses from the word go.,. they have to get the horse into a nice rhythm and this alone can make a big difference in a race. Brotherton excels in these races and I think she has the favourite covered. Of the remainder I'm happy to take on the top weight Red Inca, who has been finding it tough off this mark and gets the service of an inexperienced 5 pound lady claimer. Elusive contract recieves a penalty for winning a race last time and hasn't won off this mark before. FTS is a consistent horse who has put in 3 decent performances off this mark in it's last 3 races and I will take a chance that Serena Brotherton can get this horse up today,