robertob at the races

Some might know I'm frequently attending race meetings all over the place here in Ireland (and occasionally in other countries too), particularly Leopardstown and the Curragh where I'm also a member, but I'm more or less regularly around at the other County Kildare tracks as well. So I like to start for this new season a thread where I can track my betting for the meetings that I'm going to visit. I have set up some rules for my bets though, i.e. I'll try to find three bets at every meeting in the categories: Banker of the meeting (10pts win), Each-Way Bet of the Meeting (5pts ew) and Longshot (5pts win) of the meeting. Maybe I tweak the rules throughout the year, but for now lets see how it goes. Not that this all is a really unique approach, but I want to improve my on-course betting and hope this will be not a complete disaster but also a bit of fun. I hope to bring some reports from the meetings afterwards to, if time allows. Naas - 18th January 2014: My first meeting of the year, and it looks quite a good card actually, thanks to two graded races. Prices are not out for all races, so for the Each-Way & Longshot bet I've still a bit to wait to post, but I took advantage of the early price for my banker of the meeting already since I'm sure this price won't last forever. Banker of the meeting: Rule The World - 13.00 - @ 9/4 William Hill Rule The World looks clearly banker material too me in this field with conditions in favour. He ran with loads of credit in the Grade 1 Leopardstown Christmas Hurdle, when travelling like a dream until the last fence, when he was found out for stamina eventually, clearly not staying the 3m trip. But he had them all off the bridle turning for home, getting a positive ride and trying to make most of his pace. Drop in trip will suit tomorrow, he goes well on heavy ground and absolutely loves it here around at Naas. I think most of the others are either too slow for this trip or might find it a shade too far, ground is an issue for some too, so is class and fitness. But Rule The World has it all on his side. So clearly the one to beat for me.

Re: robertob at the races Each-Way Bet of the meeting: 14.45 - Whiter Star @ 14/1 VC Whiter Star has a pretty fine record over 2m but he needs a really soft going, which he will definitely encounter at Naas today after it was lashing down the whole night here. He won impressively at Navan last month and was better than the tight winning margin might suggest as he was travelled really well but got first looked on the inside approaching two out and soon after badly hampered thanks to a faller, yet he picked up in tremendous fashion once jumping the last one well and won it with authority in the end. Should be more in him and the revised mark looks more than fair. Top jockey booked, so every chance to finish at least in the money here. Longshot of the meeting: 15.20 - Colls Corner @ 20/1 VC Colls Corner was pulled up last time out and didn't show anything encouriging in all his last starts, however the drop in trip in combination with a heavy going and a slipping mark might help to bring back the sparkle. He won here in Naas a Handicap Hurdle over 2m of a mark of 104 back in 2012 and won later that year a Handicap Chase over 2m 1f of a mark of 109 in really impressive style. Since then he produced his best only on a handful of occasions and maybe he has enough now but it's worth a try in these conditions and off a mark of 107 with a quite decent 5lb claimer booked for the ride on a side-note: I also fancy Trust No One in the bumper at tasty double figure odds to go close in that race. But I'll stick to my three bets rule and lets see how that goes. Hope it won't be lashing down all the time while at the track later on, it stopped right now at least but was raining no end during the night...

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.