Flat Racing ~ Mon 25th

Thirsk 7.50 - Glenridding (10/1), George Benjamin (6/1), Minigun Bell (7/2), RFC, RTC Good to have a go at a sprint on a round course again. Been lots of straight sprints lately. The round course races add an extra tactical dimension due to the draw and bunching up. Only 2 of the 10 are frontrunners, Glenridding and George Benjamin. With low draws they won't have to fight for the rail so should get round in front quite easily. Both are capable of seeing out the distance. They will be hard to beat if the others hang back. I don't expect them to take each other on - George Benjamin will likely follow Glenridding. Glenridding has been poor so far this season. Perhaps now at 8 years old his career is almost over. However I can't decide if that's the case yet. The races he's been in have not suited him because other frontrunners have been challenging his lead and electrifying the pace. I'm taking a gamble on him here. Another bad run and I reckon that's the nail in the coffin though. George Benjamin is doing well this season. I backed him 2 runs ago in a handicap which he won easily. Been doing well in a couple of claimers too and a new trainer has snapped him up. A good season for him. Minigun Bell looks the most capable of the remainder. Should be close to the pace. Been tried at various distances but 7f looks best. Has done well recently and recorded some good times. The track has favoured hold-up horses in the past but I'm ignoring that because they are a poor bunch in this race. Ingleby Exceed the best of those but unfortunately it will find trouble when getting out the stalls slowly from draw 1. Likely to be boxed in on the rail. [EDIT] Glenridding just went 20/1 with Paddy 5mins ago. Missed a trick there :\. BOG might get me that 20/1 yet though :D

Re: Flat Racing ~ Mon 25th 19.50 Thirsk: Glenridding @ 16/1 & Dozy Joe @ 16/1 Boylesports It's an interesting and tricky Handicap here but I found two horses difficult to bypass at too generous odds. First one is Glenridding. He hasn't been at his best this year so far as he was well beaten in four starts either on turf or All-Weather. However I think it is possible to forgive him these runs because a combination of a high mark and races not run to suit made life difficult for him. He is now down to a turf mark of 75 again, which is 4lb below his last winning mark as he won here at Thirsk last summer off 79. He's tomorrow back at his beloved Thirsk racetrack. He is 5 wins from 11 starts over CD here. Ground at Thirsk will be very likely soft and that will be in his favour, as all his last three turf wins came on soft or heavy ground. Glenridding is a tough front-runner and there are not many horses in this field who are known for similar tactics. From a low draw he should get the early lead and might take then advantage of his low mark. Second horse I fancy here, considering the high price, is Dozy Joe. He looks not particularly appealing at the first glance, though I think he could easily run a big race tomorrow. He had a very good 2yo campaign but couldn't live up to the expectations as a 3yo. He had only four runs last year, mainly well beaten but showed a bit of promise earlier this year on the All-Weather. His only start on turf was a disappointing one, though. He's been well beaten Newbury, but 1m probably stretched his stamina too much and also the fast ground was not in his favour. He's now back after a small break and his Handicap mark is now down to a dangerously low 77,. He steps also back in trip to 7f what will be in his favour. Another interesting fact is the ground. Of his six starts on turf he encountered only twice soft ground. Coincidentally that's are the only two times he ran well on turf winning one of this races and getting placed the other one. Maybe I give this horse too much credit but I simply find this profile quite interesting. Fallen mark, showed some promise earlier the year, back over more suitable distance and will probably relish the ground, what you can't say about all horses in this field.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.